Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a steering stabilizer on their L5P? I know they stopped installing the frame bracket on them. If anyone has info could you please share picture and a link! Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I installed the BDS steering stabilizer on my 2019 Chevy 3500HD CC SB HC. Downside ... the BDS mounting bracket attaches to one of the lower control arm bolts on the driver side ... which requires relieving the torsion key on that side to install. But as expected BDS supplies a very nice kit with a good shock designed for the application. Much higher quality than the Fabtech kit in my opinion (had Fabtech previously). Definitely reduced the wheel chatter on washboard gravel roads. Unfortunately I do not have any pics currently ... but will post when I do. Here is the weblink: http://bds-suspension.com/product-display?tab=chevy/gmc-stabilizers ... our part #’s: 85430 (cylinder) & 55379 (bracket kit).

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I have the BDS as well, also installed the Cognito PISK. The PISK works 100% better IMO.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Did anyone do a double setup? I see for the single goes but I'm curious as to the double.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts

·
Premium Member
463 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
The SuspensionMAXX kit is the route I went with on my 2016 and used the Bilstein B8 5100 dampener (33-196619). Simple install and have had it for a year now and couldn't be happier. No more constant minor adjustments with the steering wheel traveling down the highway and greatly improved the feel as well. I'm not a fan of the digital steering assist, at least on my 2016.

Reactions: zert100 and Muzbomb

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed the BDS steering stabilizer on my 2019 Chevy 3500HD CC SB HC. Downside ... the BDS mounting bracket attaches to one of the lower control arm bolts on the driver side ... which requires relieving the torsion key on that side to install. But as expected BDS supplies a very nice kit with a good shock designed for the application. Much higher quality than the Fabtech kit in my opinion (had Fabtech previously). Definitely reduced the wheel chatter on washboard gravel roads. Unfortunately I do not have any pics currently ... but will post when I do. Here is the weblink: Tab Chevy / GMC Steering Stabilizers | BDS Suspension ... our part #’s: 85430 (cylinder) & 55379 (bracket kit).
so when you say you think BDS is better than Fab tech....and then say " our part # " do you work for BDS ?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
so when you say you think BDS is better than Fab tech....and then say " our part # " do you work for BDS ?
Just before that he said he pasted a web link, those words are from the sellers web page.

Here is the weblink

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I will not be doing any lifts or level on my 2019, does a stabilizer do anything to the truck or is it just for lifted/leveled stuff? I don't notice any steering problems but I might not know there is an improved driving experience out there.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I will not be doing any lifts or level on my 2019, does a stabilizer do anything to the truck or is it just for lifted/leveled stuff? I don't notice any steering problems but I might not know there is an improved driving experience out there.
If you have no wobble or steering vibration you don't need one, normally after bigger wheels and tires you start to feel why it's nice to have.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I did the BDS which was fairly straight forward and worked well. Suspension Maxx looks good too. Always do the PISK

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I installed the Kryptonite idler & pitman arms, BDS steering stabilizer and Fabtech tie rods.

Now my steering linkage looks like it came off a motorhome, wait a minute, Kryptonite‘s parts are made by SuperSteer, who makes parts for motorhomes.

No need for a PISK with this setup, but I do agree that a PISK should be mandatory for anyone running stock idler and pitman arms.

Kryptonite & SuperSteer have far superior designs for these components. They no longer use the stock (weak) ball stud design. Instead they use a fully encapsulated sealed bearing design that no longer requires grease to be added on a regular basis. The best part ... Kryptonite covers you with a no BS lifetime warranty on their parts.

My setup has 10,000 hard miles on mining roads so far ... with 35 inch tires ... and my steering is just as tight as it was the day I purchased my truck new off the Chevy lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The DMax store near Sacramento offers a bolt-on kit for the years that are NOT offered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 17 of 17 Posts