Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all, my 2017 3500 SRW has started the have a slight grind noise coming from my rear end. (I can only hear it with my back glass open) The noise is consistent at low gears whenever I exceed 2k RPM. I’m not sure it is a bad pinion or wheel bearing because I am not getting any vibration in my acceleration. The grind stops once’s it shifts to lower RPMs.(it’s just a grind, no clunking) I also changed my transmission spin on filter and topped off with factory fluid. About a month ago. Have y’all had this happen before? If so how were you able to fix it? Truck has 87k on it.

· Registered
7,473 Posts
Check the driveshaft for movement up and down, side to side, not twisting. If nothing is noted, it could be differential or trans. Jack up your truck rear axle with jack stands, tires off the ground at least 2", speed to the problem area, and see if any difference. Note if the sound is coming from trans or diff or elsewhere. Maybe have a friend help and listen for noises. Stay away from spinning driveshaft and tires. You may need to go to a specialty shop for diagnosis.

Reactions: nriffle15

· Registered
7,825 Posts
Rear end and driveshaft speed is varies as vehicle speed varies.

If noise changes when transmission shifts / engine rpm drops then it would seem the noise is from transmission or engine rather than something behind the transmission.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.