Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Denali HD
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've done a search, and haven't really seen a thread determining the exact size and CCA that is recommended as a replacement for our batteries. My auto start is beginning to sound a little weak, so I think that I'll go ahead and replace the original batteries.
Can someone confirm the size that we need? I believe we need to use an H6 with at least 730CCA. Or a 94R with the same CCA. Does that sound correct?
Also, any suggestions on best bang for the buck would be appreciated. What did you replace with, and would you use the same again? Why or why not.

Thanks,
Ron

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
I have yet to buy them for my truck, but I'm eyeing the Duracell AGMs at Sam's club. Yes, they are H6s. Best bang for the buck at $190 for AGMs made in USA.
I recently bought 3 group 31s for the boat, so far so good.

Reactions: blythkd1 and Ron505

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
3,207 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Denali HD
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
Yup, those are the ones Ron.
Here's the Duracell spec page. The last I checked the CCA they were very close to OEM specs.

If you want to open the wallet more and go with even higher quality AGMs,

All comes down to how much you want to spend, and what type.

I also limited my search to batteries only made in the USA.

Reactions: Ron505

·
Registered
2017 Denali HD
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems that all of the Sams club batteries are sold out around me.

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
Call the store and try to get a hold of the auto department. For whatever reason, the inventory doesn't report properly for the batteries. When I bought them for my boat, the website said zero, but they had 3 in stock on the shelf.

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
Oh, another quick tip Ron, when you chose the option on the phone for the automotive department, you may or may not be transferred to a centralized hub. They are clueless as well.
At one store I had to basically get the store operator to manually page someone to pick up my phone call. Yes, legwork, but these are not normal times.

·
Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
43 Posts
Just a +1 vote for Odyssey batteries from me! Have one in every vehicle I own, and have been using their batteries for about 15 years now. Got 10 years out of the first one, but you do have to be a bit more vigilant in maintaining them, as most vehicles don't compensate for the higher charging voltage of an AGM battery.
I throw my vehicles on a charger once every couple of months for a weekend (use an Odyssey OBC-20A charger) to condition them. So far, so good on all of them. Only had one fail, and that was operator error!

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
10 years! Holy battery life batman!

Yea, they're nice, but spendy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just replaced my batteries with the ACdelco 770cca batteries. 30 month warranty (I'm sure some of it is prorated). No complaints here.

·
Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
43 Posts
lol, yep! They are definitely proud of their batteries! I used to run Optimas, but there was a time where they were failing around '02-'04 and I was one of them who bought a yellow top that went south in 3 years.
Changed to Odyssey and haven't been stranded anywhere since, aside from me being a bonehead and leaving lights or other stuff on!!!
Used to buy them online through West Coast Batteries, but I see their prices have gone up a bit. Used to be around $220 shipped for a group34/78 extreme, they're now at $275.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I get mine from NAPA. Produced by East Penn Manufacturing who makes DEKA and other great brands like

Autozone Duralast
Harley Davidson Battery
Intimidator Battery
MK Battery
Duracell Car Battery
Rayovac Car Battery

And a number of others. There have been great reviews of these. I'm still on the factory ones on my 2018, but I think 2022 will be the year I change em out.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
I had the best luck with the old Sears Diehard agm batteries when I had a bass boat running four of them. They outlasted the Optimas. Not sure who made them or if you can still get them.

·
Registered
2019 3500 SRW
190 Posts
Good thread. I was just about to ask the same. My 2019 is not liking the cold. Get some spurious messages on start up that make me think low voltage. A few days ago, it took a bit to start in the 20’s and then at the beginning of a drive out of the campground(slow speed) I’d see it fall to 10.5 volts when my foot came off the gas. Think I’m due. At the 3 year mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 3500 SRW
190 Posts
I just picked up a couple 750cca Duralast Autozone batteries and swapped them out. Kind of a pain in a$$. Miss the days of simple battery swaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi all,
I've done a search, and haven't really seen a thread determining the exact size and CCA that is recommended as a replacement for our batteries. My auto start is beginning to sound a little weak, so I think that I'll go ahead and replace the original batteries.
Can someone confirm the size that we need? I believe we need to use an H6 with at least 730CCA. Or a 94R with the same CCA. Does that sound correct?
Also, any suggestions on best bang for the buck would be appreciated. What did you replace with, and would you use the same again? Why or why not.

Thanks,
Ron
don't buy the 94R's,they fit but w/ modifying the drivers side battery box(had to take a cut off wheel to it) and loosening the 2 screws for the ecu and pushing on the bracket then tightening the screws back down.I got them in there and it was tight.
just letting every one know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had the X2 Power batteries that they sell at Batteries Plus stores for 2 years now.
High cranking amps and 60 month full replacement.
I believe they are made by Northstar Battery. They are made in the USA.
I have a Northstar Battery in the CTS-V going on 4 years now, still running great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts