Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I gave the tool to dlm2019-2500HD. Maybe he can pay it forward too if he’s done with it. The Satellite Radio Module is buried behind the dash somewhere. Whatever that connector and wiring is in the upper cavity of the RH fuse box really isn’t much of a hindrance. Just follow my instructions earlier on how to handle it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Green w/ red stripe and black wires in the existing large connector at the top of the RH fuse box are for the sunroof. For the folks contemplating this (adding roof lights), buy the harness that I posted the number for! Yes you will only be using 2 wires from it and you will be discarding the sunroof wires and satellite radio antenna wires, but keep in mind you bought a 60k+ truck, and the wiring harness comes with the correct connectors for the roof lamps themselves. Also for you non-sun roof guys like myself, you will be using the large connector for the RH fuse box.

The wiring is the easy part! Taking apart the interior isn’t too bad either. The hard part for sure is laying it all out and making the holes in the roof. Again, anyone contemplating this job should have patience and a lot of attention to detail. Wiring and mechanical abilities are a bonus. The better your skills are, the faster than the job will go, and the better it will turn out. Knowing what I now know, I almost find it comical that people are worried about throwing some wiring out, rather than worrying about the layout and making holes. One mistake up top, and a $100 wiring harness will be the least of your concerns..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can'tremember for sure which harness i bought. I thought that it was the one yoou had posted, but the only piece i had to strip out of it was the satelite wire. L'll look tomorrow at the part number to confirm.

Will be more than glad to pay forward the punch. Haven't had a chance to do mylights just yet, I hopefully will be installing my lights tomorrow.

Chevyguy 72, give me a day or two. Send me a pm with your address and i will get it sent out when i get them completed.

David

·
Registered
16 Posts
Roof Marker Light Install

Well I am in the process of trying to install my roof marker lights and I am almost frustrated beyond !!!:frown2:. I finally after working on this since about 9 am this morning have the right side installed, but it doesn't look right to me. Those of you that have installed these yourselves already, Should the light pull all the way down to the roof? If so, I have a problem! Because it isn't. To even get the light into the hole, it is really, really, really snug. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I did verify the part # for the wiring harness that I purchased. It is 23170759.

David

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I mentioned to you or someone in a PM that you may have to file the holes a bit. After you tighten the bolt for the stand, the light will have constant tension on it, and IT WILL NOT SIT FLUSH ON THE ROOF! Look at the 2 seals on the outer lamps, for example. The inner seal is thicker than the outer seal. I used a little 3M silicone paste on the seals to keep them lubricated for the long haul.

I can’t make out your first picture.

The center lamp is the hardest to install. You have to measure very carefully, as you are punching 2 holes for one lamp. If you miss by much, you’ll never get the lamp in and will be filing like a prisoner.

Like I said, patience is critical here. And compared to working on the roof, the wiring and interior work is much easier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't recall you saying that, but the way my memorary is lately you could have. I did do that (file the holes some) in order to get the passenger side light installed. I just got the drivers side installed. I was thinking that the light(s) would be flush. Thatwas what was frustrating me. You are correct in the fact that takingthings apart is much easier than installing the lights themselves. I did read a while back or you told me about the silocone paste on the seals. I bought some dielectric grease and put around the seal(s). I also made template like the OP'r had in order to get my hole placement correct. Need a little help i think to get the punch in place to do the center light. Thanks for the reply. Will update everyone later.

David

·
Registered
16 Posts
Roof Marker Light Install

Done! :popcorn I got them finished late yesterday evening. I still had a few things to button up this morning (passenger side visor, handle over the door and the overhead console). Then came the tool clean-up and putting them away along with getting ready (checking out generator and getting fuel for it) for the big storm heading our way and getting ready to go to work tonight. Thanks for all of the help. :grin2:

David

Chevyguy_72 let me know when you are ready for the punch and I will get it sent your way.

1badgsx--Thanks again for the use of the 3/4" punch. It worked great.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Honest question: Why do you need cab markers for a SRW truck? Am I missing something? That looks like a lot of work! Nice job.

·
Registered
31 Posts
David, looks really good! Stay safe this week.

LTD - it’s definitely not a need, but a want for aesthetics only, at least for me. When “building” my truck during the ordering process, there was a $55 option for “smoked cab lights”, which I didn’t ✔, so I (wrongly) thought I would get clear ones. I hadn’t really kept up with these trucks. A $55 omission is a real pain later on, if you want to add them. I thought the truck looked unfinished without them.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
David, looks really good! Stay safe this week.

LTD - it’s definitely not a need, but a want for aesthetics only, at least for me. When “building” my truck during the ordering process, there was a $55 option for “smoked cab lights”, which I didn’t ✔, so I (wrongly) thought I would get clear ones. I hadn’t really kept up with these trucks. A $55 omission is a real pain later on, if you want to add them. I thought the truck looked unfinished without them.
Gotcha

thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
LTD- exactly what 1badgsx said. More for aesthetics than anything. I really didn't need them, i just wanted them on my truck. I just think it changes the whole look of the truck and gives it a more finished look i guess.

1badgsx- Thanks. We'll do! I'll be at home part of it and at work the other part of it. We are in North Central NC, but after hurricane Fran (Cat 3 storm) came through in 96, it made a believer out of me. This storm is much larger and moving 10mph slower than Fran when it came through. They are predicting that we could get up to as much as 2' if rain if not more.

Daivd

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone have the correct part number for just pins or a place to order them from?
Seems like a waste of money to buy a whole harness when you already have a plug in place and you are just going to steal 2 pins out of it...
Also has anyone seen a full roof template for the hole location? GM used to provide these with some parts... never seen one for this occasion but thought someone may have...
Thanks
Here are a couple of photos for you! A before and after photo. Photo of the underside mounting and light mounted, but not flush on the roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
LTD- exactly what 1badgsx said. More for aesthetics than anything. I really didn't need them, i just wanted them on my truck. I just think it changes the whole look of the truck and gives it a more finished look i guess.

1badgsx- Thanks. We'll do! I'll be at home part of it and at work the other part of it. We are in North Central NC, but after hurricane Fran (Cat 3 storm) came through in 96, it made a believer out of me. This storm is much larger and moving 10mph slower than Fran when it came through. They are predicting that we could get up to as much as 2' if rain if not more.

Daivd
Stay safe over there and good luck. Hope y'all don't get too much rain. Sept of '16 we gt 30" to 38" (depending on location) in about 30 hours over here. Wasn't even a hurricane or anything, just a stalled-out front. Unbelievable amount of flooding. Many people are still recovering from that to this day. Pretty much just like what happened to Texas a year? or so ago. Just not as many people affected due to population density of Houston.

·
Registered
16 Posts
LTD-Thanks. We should be fine here in North Central NC, but the folks at the coast are going to get nailed pretty good. We are just expecting at 5-10" of rain and some wind gusts of about 30-40mph. I am just truly amazed at all of the Rescue and Utility crews that have come in already to assist with the rescue and recovery. Some as far away as Sacramento CA (Swift warter rescue crew) and Volt Powre in San Antonio TX.

David

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was a the stealership yesterday for some service and decided to check out the cab lights on stock trucks.... Those things sit pretty damn flush with the cab... there is no air gap... wonder if the stock setup is punch through with a lip or something and that pulls them down to flush with the roof... Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Note sure! I thought that maybe they should and that's what was frustrating me during my install. I pm'd 1badgsx and he said that they would not. Mine are pretty close to flush. You might be able to get s credit card under the the edge of them. It's possible that in the factory they have a robotic arm (or a person) that holds them in place while they are installed and with that pressure pushing down on them and the clip/bolt is tightened up, they are held a little more flush to the roof.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Note sure! I thought that maybe they should and that's what was frustrating me during my install. I pm'd 1badgsx and he said that they would not. Mine are pretty close to flush. You might be able to get s credit card under the the edge of them. It's possible that in the factory they have a robotic arm (or a person) that holds them in place while they are installed and with that pressure pushing down on them and the clip/bolt is tightened up, they are held a little more flush to the roof.
Thanks for the reply... i tested out some thing yesterday on scrap metal... still want to test some more before i cut holes in my truck... would be really curious to see what the factory holes look like... wonder if they have slightly rounded corners... that would give the metal clip a place to grip on the corners...

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
fwiw, mine are another example of 'factory' and are flush with the roof.

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
i just bought a 2018 gmc . this thread is exactly what i was looking for. i wish gm would just put cab lights on all 3/4 ton trucks they make.
now i have to decide if i want the cab lights bad enough to cut the holes in the roof of a brand new truck

101 - 120 of 141 Posts