Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
My batteries need replacing. Strangely, my passenger side battery is in front of fluid reservoir and most of the videos I watched had the battery tray back by the firewall. Not sure what the story is here. Also... my truck will not fit anything larger than the 760 CCA battery size. I wanted to put the 800+ in it for the winter, towing, all the lights, bells and whistles my truck has... but the tray only fits to 11.25. Too short for a larger CCA battery by a half inch.
Anyone else have this oddity? Does everyone just run the standard 760 CCA AGM Battery?
PS.. what a pain.. who engineered this mess? estimate $500 + batteries to have someone else do it? seriously.. flawed
Thank you..
I have a 2018 Chevy 2500 4 door 4X4
#2018LTZ
#2018duramax
#batteries

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
Well, two group 48 Duracell AGMS from Sam's club cost me $402 after returning the cores. Did the labor myself. Don't know what videos you're watching but the '17-'19 L5Ps all have their batteries in front of the coolant tank.
The L5P is just a different generation engine than other Duramax's and with the airbox design it is what it is. 🤷‍♂️ The passenger side is just tight in packaging.
After you get your new batteries, if you have concerns of power draw, look into a larger alternator. Mechman has some nice options.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, two group 48 Duracell AGMS from Sam's club cost me $402 after returning the cores. Did the labor myself. Don't know what videos you're watching but the '17-'19 L5Ps all have their batteries in front of the coolant tank.
The L5P is just a different generation engine than other Duramax's and with the airbox design it is what it is. 🤷‍♂️ The passenger side is just tight in packaging.
After you get your new batteries, if you have concerns of power draw, look into a larger alternator. Mechman has some nice options.
oh really? Is power draw a concern? I don't belong to Sam's but Costco batteries are up a whopping bunch. My passenger side battery is on the firewall... why is mine different?

· Registered
2017 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed
424 Posts
Walmart AGM’s H6 is the size. $170 each, maybe 180.
My truck runs so much better with the new batteries, sounds weird but it has more power and better mpg. I’m guessing that the proper and consistent voltage makes all the computers and sensors happy and it runs that much better because of that.

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
oh really? Is power draw a concern? I don't belong to Sam's but Costco batteries are up a whopping bunch. My passenger side battery is on the firewall... why is mine different?
Ok, please don't take this personally, but you've contracted yourself from what you said in your first post. Now, it could be me, I've been awake since 0330. At this point, take a picture of your engine compartment and post it up. We'll be able to figure it out then.

As far as the power draw...these trucks will draw more power than the stock single alternator can provide on a cold start in winter.

Reactions: Mattswaggs

· Registered
2017 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed
424 Posts
Ok, please don't take this personally, but you've contracted yourself from what you said in your first post. Now, it could be me, I've been awake since 0330. At this point, take a picture of your engine compartment and post it up. We'll be able to figure it out then.

As far as the power draw...these trucks will draw more power than the stock single alternator can provide on a cold start in winter.
Go to bed, man!

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
Go to bed, man!
LoL, a bit wired as well unfortunately. Had a coffee on the two hour drive home to stay awake, combined with watching the Phillies win! Epic day of sea bass fishing though as well. 🤪

· Registered
1,811 Posts
Just replaced both factory original batteries in my 2018 last week. What a PITA. If you have a battery pick up tool it makes it MUCH easier as the factory batteries do not have handles on them to pick them up with. The new Interstate Batteries from Costco that I put in there had handles so that made it easier. Remove the braces and what not. Plan to spend about an hour or so doing the work.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Walmart AGM’s H6 is the size. $170 each, maybe 180.
My truck runs so much better with the new batteries, sounds weird but it has more power and better mpg. I’m guessing that the proper and consistent voltage makes all the computers and sensors happy and it runs that much better because of that.
This is true!! I went to get these.. our local walmart was out of stock ... 2 -60 mile round trip.. return the H7 and no H6's. what a drag.. ended up at OReilly's. not my first choice.

· Registered
7,836 Posts
Reactions: ADE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts