Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 3500HD LTZ Z71 4x4
Miles 59,000
Hi guys just started today.
Link to video.

It's the tick off beat like

Tick tick....tick..tick tick.

Almost like something is rolling around somewhere in something like a pebble.

Just did an oil change 2 days ago
And filled with Mobil 1300 super 15w40
With a K&N oil filter for the truck.

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
Just echoing others here, completely normal. Level shouldn't have anything to do with it. It's tiny air bubbles on the crank. GM even put a TSB out about it. Either you never noticed it before, or did you just switch do a different oil? Did you also just get the truck, and this is the first oil change you did? I see you're a brand new user...

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Stolen from another thread.

#16-NA-372: Information on Diesel Engine Ticking Noise - (Nov 14, 2016)
Subject: Information on Diesel Engine Ticking Noise

Involved Region or Country
North America, and Israel (Export Dealers please contact your Local Technical Assistance Center if there are additional questions.)
Additional Options (RPO)
Equipped with Duramax™ Diesel Engine (RPOs L5P)
Condition
Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on warm engine in idle and elevated idle condition with fresh oil. The noise usually is most noticeable at the rear of the driver's side front wheel well. Customers may also comment about hearing a tick noise in drive through. All 6600 Duramax™ diesel engines have this condition; however, some are more audible than others. Engine build variation from engine to engine contributes to differences in perceived volume. All Duramax™ engines are manufactured to very close tolerances to meet the durability and reliability standards.
Cause
This ticking noise is caused by oil bubbling and excited by the V8 configuration and combustion sequence. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound, like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.
Information
This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years (refer to the latest version of Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-022), and does not have any impact on engine reliability and durability. The overall combustion background noise reduction in the new engines made more audible the known ticking. Many manufacturers such as Ford, Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines.

Dealers should not attempt to compare any customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. This noise is a normal operating characteristic of the engine. This noise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs for this noise.

Important: Replacing the engine or internal components for this noise will not reduce or eliminate the noise.

Please share the information found in this bulletin with customers who inquire about this condition. In the event they have additional questions or concerns, please advise them to contact Customer Assistance.

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
@smeezy , you are the man, thanks. I have been looking for that for a while. I need to make it a sticky somewhere. Can you please do me a favor and PM where you found that?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Only solution are the two buttons behind steering wheel on right side . keep pushing on the upper button until the ticking goes away... LOL noticing it more on the '18 than my 15, but quieter exhaust on this one...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts