Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stuck in a small town in Wyoming after the diesel exhaust regen did not work yesterday. We drove 95 miles yesterday, pulling a 20K RV at 35-65 mph on (80mph interstate) I-80 and the regen never finished, so power was reduced. Decided to pull over in Rawlins WY and plan on going to Chevy dealership to have them manually do it.

I've read all of the posts on the forums here about this and some people suggest getting an Edge CTS2 and doing it themselves - but to do so means I have to wait until one comes in (or continue on towards Nebraska pulling the RV very slowly on the shoulder going up these hills with flashers - and there are no side roads going my direction).

My question is whether the Edge CTS2 is worth it (we have 45,000 miles on the Silverado 3500 High Country I bought new 2 years ago) over the long haul. This is the first time the regen did not work.

Looking for any advice and suggestions before I go into the dealership in the morning and pay them however many hundreds they expect - unless this is covered under an extended warranty I have on my truck. Open for suggestions?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Interesting. I’d think warranty would cover it for sure. I have 100k extended on mine it’s bumper to bumper Allstate.

Keep us up to date on what dealer says. Why would it not finish regen? Unless you repeatedly interrupted it. These trucks love heavy loads and hot exhaust for the filter ! Maybe a bad sensor or a bad filter itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
The Banks Derringer I Dash also has an option for forced regen... Also it flashes when regening while driving..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know why it didn't? The message popped up it was doing a regen and reducing power before we left Rock Springs WY yesterday morning, pulling the rv on I-80. We drove about 45 miles (kept it above 35mph) at reduced power and pulled over and turned truck off to see if it would reset. I then drove another 50 miles on the interstate (again - still at 35mph or above) to Rawlins and decided to pull over and relax for the weekend. We've driven about 7,000 miles in the past 3 months on an extended trip and still have 2 more weeks till we get home.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yea when it tells you that means it’s past it’s normal background regen so it’s on its last try I.e. don’t interrupt. I’d think it would have cleared in the time you allowed it though!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. The Derringer I Dash looks like it costs several hundred more than the Edge - but do you know if either one of those also helps on fuel mileage? We pull a heavy 42 foot 5r around the country alot so even 1 mpg difference turns out to be huge savings. I haven't chipped or done anything with this engine in the first 2 years I've had it, but open to suggestions now that I'm facing the regen thing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Read forums the chipping stuff is mostly over

The devices won’t help mpg. They don’t tune just read parameters. And initiate certain functions like forced Regen. I’m not family with derringer tho

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
As for MPG saving, no the Idash probably won't infact installed it to get more ooomph / power when merging into traffic.... But I like to ability to read clear codes and see parameters...

The pedal commander says it has a MPG saving mode if you are looking for that... check it out... but won't help with codes / errors regen issues

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
New to Dmax but warranty on emissions on gas engines is 5 yrs /50,000 miles .. should be same on diesels...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As we pulled out of the rv park in western Wyoming, the "keep driving" message came on and immediately, reduced power message and we went into limp mode. I drove 35 miles (staying above 35 mph on I-80 in the limp mode and then pulled off the road, and killed the engine to see if it would reset. It didn't - so when I started the truck - both messages popped up, so we drove another 50 miles to the next town on I-80 up and down hills (kept it at 35mph minimum) and then pulled in. IN the morning, I'll see what they say and I'll also look for DPF ALTERNATIVES. I have to be in Nebraska later this week as I'm teaching a seminar there - so we may have to limp there if I can't get it fixed. I was totally ignorant of all of this emission crap thing that GM has put onto the trucks - although I constantly add DEF fluid. Perhaps if the cost of fixing this emission crap is so much that perhaps many of us should consider a class action suit against GM or Obama or whatever idiot made this happen. Thank you sincerely for your help.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Where did you buy fuel last? ....I have a theory that far western states sell fuel with bio mass that causes the regen system not to burn hot enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I Think it was Walmart. I have also been adding fuel additive for past month as I was told that is needed when you're not familiar with the fuel stations as I travel

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
As we pulled out of the rv park in western Wyoming, the "keep driving" message came on and immediately, reduced power message and we went into limp mode. I drove 35 miles (staying above 35 mph on I-80 in the limp mode and then pulled off the road, and killed the engine to see if it would reset. It didn't - so when I started the truck - both messages popped up, so we drove another 50 miles to the next town on I-80 up and down hills (kept it at 35mph minimum) and then pulled in. IN the morning, I'll see what they say and I'll also look for DPF ALTERNATIVES. I have to be in Nebraska later this week as I'm teaching a seminar there - so we may have to limp there if I can't get it fixed. I was totally ignorant of all of this emission crap thing that GM has put onto the trucks - although I constantly add DEF fluid. Perhaps if the cost of fixing this emission crap is so much that perhaps many of us should consider a class action suit against GM or Obama or whatever idiot made this happen. Thank you sincerely for your help.
I would not do that.... don't make bad even worse... rent a car, find a local dealer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an 8am appointment at the Chevy dealer in this town we are in (dealership is 2.1 miles away). If they tell me that I have to spend $3K or more on this mess, then I will drive to Greeley, Colorado tomorrow where there is a PDF Alternative. T

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
I Think it was Walmart. I have also been adding fuel additive for past month as I was told that is needed when you're not familiar with the fuel stations as I travel
But which state?

Additve might also cause problem with regen. It's the way the 9th injector ”low flow burn" is used. Much differently than the combustion of the engine. It's sensitive and has to reach at least 1000 degrees while In it's regen cycle or truck starts it's bells and whistles.

The high mile 13 I own has done what you experiencing a few times. I suggest you try buying more fuel first. If that doesn't work most likely GM is gonna manual regen and fail. Throw another 9th injector on the truck. If that fails, dump the tank and another regen...

That's as far as I got....I didn't try new fuel first, and different fuel solved my issue. Me being out of warranty I thrown a few grand into replacement of emmisions on this truck.

·
Registered
684 Posts
To me, sounds like a problem with the ninth injector....

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
I actually came back east from Oregon this week along I 80. Had to buy fuel in Boise,ID to get back.
That's 30miles off Oregon line. experienced the regen problems. All the way through Wyoming heading east. Truck was regening. Watch the soot mass sensor drop off the Edge then egt would drop back down to normal op,. Then go back up to over 1000. Up and down, Up and down. Luckily it stopped as I made it to Nebraska. Where I bought more fuel. And normal regen after.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts