Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For lack of a better sub-forum to put this in, I stuck this in the L5P performance & parts section - mods, please move if there's a better place.

So I've been looking at the new trucks with a serious eye on buying a '21 or possibly a '22. I personally want the new swiss army knife tailgate that GMC is offering because I'm tired of using a step ladder to get in & out of my bed (and that's on my 2002 which probably sits 3"- 4" lower than the new ones).

Anyway, the fact that the little tailgate (GMC calls it the "minor end gate") can smash into a trailer ball has me worried because:
1. I ALWAYS have a hitch in my receiver - it has saved my rear bumper numerous times over the years.
2. Sometimes I'm really absent-minded and I just KNOW I forget one day while my brain is off in space camp and smash my tailgate.

So anyway, I've checked into this, got a copy of the pertinent sections of the service manual and studied it for a bit. I'm 99.9% sure I can do a little wiring and set up a "safety" that would not allow the minor gate to open if there is a draw bar in the hitch. I WILL do this to my new truck when I get it but what I'd like to know is if it's worth looking into actually offering a kit for sale to other truck owners. I've given this a good bit of thought and I'm pretty sure that I could offer a kit that would easily be installed in about 15 minutes or so and require no wire cutting or holes drilled in the hitch. Just plugs and maybe a snap on type braket. It would allow the minor gate to operate normally when there is no draw bar in the hitch but keep it from opening if there is a draw bar in the hitch.

I'd imagine that the kit would be less than $100 - I'm thinking more like $30-$50 but still have a ways to go on that part so $100 seems like a safe number to me.

So, my question is: What do you guys think about this? If you own or think that someday will own a new truck with this tailgate, would you want to install a safety lock-out and would you be willing to pay about $100 for it?

Thanks in advance for replies and any suggestions!

·
Registered
11 Posts
For lack of a better sub-forum to put this in, I stuck this in the L5P performance & parts section - mods, please move if there's a better place.

So I've been looking at the new trucks with a serious eye on buying a '21 or possibly a '22. I personally want the new swiss army knife tailgate that GMC is offering because I'm tired of using a step ladder to get in & out of my bed (and that's on my 2002 which probably sits 3"- 4" lower than the new ones).

Anyway, the fact that the little tailgate (GMC calls it the "minor end gate") can smash into a trailer ball has me worried because:
1. I ALWAYS have a hitch in my receiver - it has saved my rear bumper numerous times over the years.
2. Sometimes I'm really absent-minded and I just KNOW I forget one day while my brain is off in space camp and smash my tailgate.

So anyway, I've checked into this, got a copy of the pertinent sections of the service manual and studied it for a bit. I'm 99.9% sure I can do a little wiring and set up a "safety" that would not allow the minor gate to open if there is a draw bar in the hitch. I WILL do this to my new truck when I get it but what I'd like to know is if it's worth looking into actually offering a kit for sale to other truck owners. I've given this a good bit of thought and I'm pretty sure that I could offer a kit that would easily be installed in about 15 minutes or so and require no wire cutting or holes drilled in the hitch. Just plugs and maybe a snap on type braket. It would allow the minor gate to operate normally when there is no draw bar in the hitch but keep it from opening if there is a draw bar in the hitch.

I'd imagine that the kit would be less than $100 - I'm thinking more like $30-$50 but still have a ways to go on that part so $100 seems like a safe number to me.

So, my question is: What do you guys think about this? If you own or think that someday will own a new truck with this tailgate, would you want to install a safety lock-out and would you be willing to pay about $100 for it?

Thanks in advance for replies and any suggestions!
I just took off the cover and unplugged the stair feature.. I keep my hitch in all the time cause im to lazy to worry about it

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just took off the cover and unplugged the stair feature.. I keep my hitch in all the time cause im to lazy to worry about it
Works like a champ
Disables step dropping while pin is in
Remove pin and step drops

About 15 minutes to install

·
Registered
29 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts