Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a dealer lower the tpms settings in the computer so I don't have to have 70psi when not towing? I had a 2015 Silverado LTZ and the dealer was able to lower the setting to 45 or 50 so the tpms light didn't come on. When I asked at delivery of my new truck the dealer said it can no longer be done. I call BS. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Can a dealer lower the tpms settings in the computer so I don't have to have 70psi when not towing? I had a 2015 Silverado LTZ and the dealer was able to lower the setting to 45 or 50 so the tpms light didn't come on. When I asked at delivery of my new truck the dealer said it can no longer be done. I call BS. Anyone know for sure?
GM has significantly locked down the dealer's ability to do much of anything these days.

I'm sure that the dealer would have loved to charge you for the time if he could.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Just curious if anyone else has had the dealer kick them to the curb. Or have they been able to do this in your 2017 or newer.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I had read a thread somewhere a while back. Guy had bought a new truck but it was a lower trim model with steel wheels or something like that. The dealer he purchased from was sitting on 4 aluminum wheels/tires they had pulled off another truck they had sold. He worked a deal where they swapped the aluminum wheels and tires onto his truck before delivery but the aluminum wheels were bigger than the wheels that came on his truck. He wanted the dealer to re-calibrate his speedo for the wheel / tire swap. When the dealer asked GM for permission to do so, they were denied. Seems they can't just get into the ECMs anymore like they used to. Apparently GM has to issue some sort of 1-time password or something like that now.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I had the TPMS lowered no problem on my '18. Cost was maybe 50 bucks if that. Not sure if that changed from '18-'19, but I doubt it. If your dealer says they can't do it, go try different dealers.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The dealer originally told me they couldn’t add high idle on my 2018. But some one had posted the tsb and I printed it out and gave to them. They did have to call GM but they did it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It all depends on the dealer, but they have the ability to lower it. My local dealership questioned my reasoning for doing it and said they would do it for $150 when I told them it will not be used for towing, but street/ performance applications.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Many dealers will not do it.
Some will, It is a change in the BCM that can be done if the tech is willing.
I had my '18 done, and now my 2020 is also lowered.
I run 48-50psi rear when not loaded and 65 front.

They are instructed to not do it so as to protect themselves for liability reasons, because we are not smart enough to inflate tires when running heavy loads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts