Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure this is last GM truck for me , now my 19 high country dually lost oil pressure at 65,058 miles 16 months old, been serviced every 10,000 or more often and stranded me twice now, this time really bad area and chevy road service left me on the side of the road for 6 hours, paid the tow and now dealer said can't even diagnose till end of the week and could be a matter of weeks for fix if...... took to different dealer and they are trying to get a answer by tomorrow. If the motor is hurt I believe it will be weeks or months for fix. COVID PARTS !!!!
This is the 5th Duramax failure in 4 trucks and not many people take better care of these than I do.
Lost my faith !!
Hoping and praying for something simple , said "low oil pressure, shut off engine". no CEL no real bad noises seems to be limped but did not want to try a 6% uphill with trailer in snow and rain with no shoulder.

·
Registered
958 Posts
carhauler, tell us a bit about the use of your truck.. maintenance schedules, work that has been done, trouble thus far with this truck? I've not seen high duramax failures by anymeans- where the engine fails.. but have seen componants around the truck like the DEF and DPF issues, but I'm seeing these issues with the Cummins and Power Stroke as well.. But I'm not seeing major critical engine failures on those engines either... like block failures.. I really do believe that all of the big three have good solid engines right now.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Service and fluid/filter changes every 8-10,000 miles , mostly Hiway, mostly pulling a 48 ft 2 car trailer. Truck is stone stock except for cosmetics, Blew a turbo hose and plugged DPF and stranded me, was in dealer for weeks just for that. DEF warning never has worked, just says empty refill will limit speed soon, dealers think that normal ??? My 15 spun a main bearing at about 239,000. my O9 cracked 4 pistons at 154,000 , new motor blew head gasket at 10,000 miles, My 04.5 was a overheater LLY , did get a buy back and a deal on the 06, the 06 LBZ was best one. Long story short ,trucks work but not as hard as a lot on here and service the crap out of them most say I am wast money and resources LOL , I have to have a reliable truck it is not uncommom for me to have a 100 million worth of cars on and no this is not a typo or BS ! I just have lost faith, truck is at dealer now and should have diagnosis wiring the hour, I will post the results, maybe God willing and the creek don't rise it will be simple???????? Don't want to seem like a crybaby but dependability outweighs cost , you CANNOT breakdown with what I carry, Period!! Now the other story is your right I bet all 3 big MFG's are within a percent of being equally reliable , you just gotta get a good one! I have a rental Ram Dually on hold give me a chance to see how that is??

·
Registered
411 Posts
Bummer. Sounds like if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck. Not sure I will own a diesel out of warranty with all the light duty components they use for the emissions crap. I have had excellent luck with mine. I did have to cut open and clean the DPT on the LML at 187K.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Have you been running bone stock or tuned?

Remember when we thought the LB7 was a really good engine if it weren't for the injectors? Now it seems like the best Dmax ever, even with the injector issue.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bone stock! got the word this afternoon likely will get a engine replacement, have not got a answer as to cause yet hope to know tomorrow, interestingly enough getting a Ram rental to finish my delivery. I have my doubts this truck will stay around and I am thinking with holidays it will be Jan before I am back on the road, bitch of it is I live in Las Vegas and its broken in Oregon!!! Will post what they found as soon as I get the word, I will never tune or own a diesel out of warranty ever ever ever !!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yeah that is a bitch. Mine blew up last year in Phoenix, and I live in Kansas. Friend of mine from Illinois blew up in Atlanta last year. Seems like it rarely happens close to home. Guess that's just the odds when your truck lives on the road.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Have some bad news for you... The other one have issues as well. I am not tied to any brand really. Traded a 2018 F250 oil burner for my 2020 2500 Denali because of recurring injector issues 2 water pumps before that a 2016 RAM 2500 with stretched head bolts that allowed water into the engine. Will stop there. My 2020 has almost 40k now and so far has been a good vehicle knock on wood.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yeah they all have issues but I think a Cummins with head studs might be about the best bet going right now. Of course, nobody's going to head stud a brand new truck but once the head bolts/gasket go and it's reworked, it should be pretty stout. I have a couple of buddies that run Rams and they don't seem to be as problematic as GM. There's just something about the hum of the Cummins that I think I would find pretty annoying if I had to listen to it for 12 hours a day. And I'm not a Dodge guy but a lot of haulers run them, in fact it's the most popular brand in RV hauling.

I almost pulled the trigger on a newer Ford. I think their engine is pretty solid but pop the hood and I see so many failure modes. It's pretty complex compared to the others. So I went with GM again and hope I don't regret it. So far mine still has oil pressure, not overly blessed but still pumping oil.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Really sorry to hear that, man! I’m sure you know, I run my trucks hard, and haven’t had any major issues with this last one. Had a few sensors go out that left me sitting, but nothing major internally like what you have going on.

I’d love to know what they come up with for diagnosis, make sure to post here if you get an answer on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your issues! As others have said, Ford and Ram both have their share of problems. I know this from personal experience. I had a 2018 Ram 2500 that left me stranded 400 miles from home with a failed auto-level air suspension system (left the air bags fully drained, rear end was sitting on bump stops - not a safe way to tow a trailer!) The new Cummins motor has the dreaded CP4 pump, and folks have been very active on forums posting pictures of their new Rams on a tow truck as a result. Same truck had a bad rear end whine that the dealer would not fix. I changed the oil at 10k miles and it was full of metal. But the dealer near home told me "drive it till it blows up, then Ram will authorize a rebuild" - which was on my mind every time I was driving the truck in the middle of nowhere.

I inherited my dad's 2013 Ford Powerstroke - he dealt with the CP4 issue on his truck when the pump exploded at 30k miles. Luckily he was friends with the service advisor at the Ford dealer and was able to get the $12k bill covered by Ford. A month after he got the truck back the compound turbo bought the farm. Another $5k bill covered by Ford. It now sits in my driveway while I try to find the time to rebuild the front end as it has the infamous Ford death wobble at around 65 MPH (my wife won't go anywhere with me in the truck) I love the truck because it was my dad's pride and joy, but I would have a hard time convincing myself to buy one new.

Ford has made ZERO changes to the chassis to address the death wobble, and ZERO substantial changes to the fuel system to address the CP4 concerns. Ram/Cummins chose to switch to the CP4 and I can't imagine that will work out well for them. The Ram dealer where I live has 30 of these trucks on the lot and no one is buying them - for about 4 months they couldn't sell the 2500's due to the transmission puking fluid recall that Ram couldn't fix. The dealer moved them all to a back lot and let them sit there collecting dust.

For all the auto manufacturers now it's really a race to the bottom. They all spend so much time on stupid stuff like slapping 100 cameras all around the truck and making the infotainment touchscreen as big as possible - that the guts of the whole operation suffer. I give GM the most credit for making substantial changes to these trucks, even with the consequences of that - things like bigger axles, bigger brakes, bigger fans, better turbos. Ford and Ram change the body metal and interiors and call it "all new" and add another 50 ft lbs of torque to the spec sheet every few weeks, but no one talks about average downtime, mean time between failures, average time in dealer repair bay, average delay for parts delivery - actual key performance metrics (KPI's) that matter to people who use these trucks to make a living like you. If any one manufacturer had the balls to post those values, I would exclusively buy those vehicles just based on honesty alone...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Pretty sure this is last GM truck for me , now my 19 high country dually lost oil pressure at 65,058 miles 16 months old, been serviced every 10,000 or more often and stranded me twice now, this time really bad area and chevy road service left me on the side of the road for 6 hours, paid the tow and now dealer said can't even diagnose till end of the week and could be a matter of weeks for fix if...... took to different dealer and they are trying to get a answer by tomorrow. If the motor is hurt I believe it will be weeks or months for fix. COVID PARTS !!!!
This is the 5th Duramax failure in 4 trucks and not many people take better care of these than I do.
Lost my faith !!
Hoping and praying for something simple , said "low oil pressure, shut off engine". no CEL no real bad noises seems to be limped but did not want to try a 6% uphill with trailer in snow and rain with no shoulder.
WOW all these engine issues, wonder why? GM of course has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty so it should not cost you anything, That being said I know how they test these trucks and engines and they really punish them way harder than any normal person would consider. Having an issue once at 65,000 miles is bad, but having it happen more than once is unbelievable. Will be interested to hear what they say. If you are unhappy with the dealers response, ask to speak or see the local GM dealer rep, hopefully they can help.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Do they still have that? I thought they did away with that and bumped it back to 3/36,000
The bumper to bumper is 3/36,000, but because of emission warranty requirements and also competitive pressures powertrain and body is 100,000 miles. Even beyond that if you plead your case I would not be surprised to see it go beyond that as an unhappy customer will tell the world as seen here.

·
Registered
677 Posts
WOW all these engine issues, wonder why? GM of course has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty so it should not cost you anything, That being said I know how they test these trucks and engines and they really punish them way harder than any normal person would consider. Having an issue once at 65,000 miles is bad, but having it happen more than once is unbelievable. Will be interested to hear what they say. If you are unhappy with the dealers response, ask to speak or see the local GM dealer rep, hopefully they can help.
Well not always---some pretty good exclusions. For example if a a component that is listed here (just the engine exclusions there are more for the rest of the powertrain) fails and kills the engine the resulting engine repair is not covered. Most people never read the exclusions and understand what this means.
"Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval. Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming. "

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not a truck motor issue, but a llittlel extra data. Neighbor has had a lot of Ford issues lately. His wife's, I think 2017, Escape with the turboed 6 got a cracked block, just barely covered under warranty. TSB was out there, manufacturing error.

He and I just got back from a cancelled early elk hunt. His 2013 F350 experienced a partially failed tcase out in the boonies, no power to front wheels. Had to chain up rears to get to nearest highway. Ran that thing 225 miles back home with a wounded tcase. Was either that or leave truck with dealer up there for two+ weeks. We thought we would go as far as it would take us, then have someone bring a trailer to haul it the rest of the way. Going over the snow packed passes was a nail biter with just rwd. It had a total failure as he was trying to pull it into his garage. Truck has 101k miles on it. Only two tcases for that truck in the entire US. We may be changing tcase on xmas eve if the part comes in when he expects it. -Lowell

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got a answer spun 2 mains ? WTF , they got the OK same day for a complete engine and found one in Texas , they are projecting done my 12/31, found a enterprise Ram dually and rented it to complete my trip. I don't know what they surmise was the cause yet will talk to tech and service writer next week, I am hoping they stand up and reimburse for the tow after leaving me in a lane in the rain and snow for 6 hours and never came, I hired a tow truck and got it done and then had it towed to another dealer as well ( Airport Chevy in Medford OR is GREAT so far could not ask for better service!!!). I will update more as it becomes available, Don't love the Ram don't hate it but with a 30 gallon tank it might as well be a Tesla !!! Can't plan anything and spend way more on fuel and hotels , I have 144 gallons so fuel is never a issue, the Chevy is way faster than Ram , rides worse than Ram, Ram as small mirrors but out far enough to see the side of the trailer. Ram does ride better for the most part but squats with a lite load , chevy rides hard but level at the heaviest load, This is a enterprise rental so no comparison to a Laramie but its a damn dodge and I don't see one in my future after driving and towing with it ,may look at a ford, but your all right there is not a dimes worth of difference you just gotta hope you get a good one! One big question is how GM looks at their responsibility with the failures with the towing and rental, also no warranty past balance of factory so new motor will have 35,000 mile warranty ? My crate LBZ had 3 years unlimited milage over the counter long block $10,000 installed. Mine is not to reason why!

Reactions: Philisophe

·
Registered
894 Posts
Surprised to hear it spun bearings. Some say the bottom end is bulletproof, guess not.

So your comments on ride quality are all based on being loaded I assume? Any feedback on empty ride quality? I probably would have brought home a Ford if the empty ride had been anything like the GM. I've been pretty satisfied with ride quality of my 2018 HC dually, can't say as much about dependability of the sh*t under the hood. Looking like hung injector for me, assuming it's cooked too since it went through a considerable amount of oil in a relatively short time.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Interested to see your feedback once you get a chance to drive a ford as well

1 - 20 of 69 Posts