Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already experienced a low Coolant light & changed the Coolant tank which solved that issue about 8K ago... Sensor issue.... Traveling up a steep grade today I had to floor it; shortly after I got the Low Coolant message & the 19 LP5 took 3/4 gallons of antifreeze after cooling down... No wet spots on the ground; however, I can smell antifreeze; anyone else have something similar happen? If I can smell antifreeze I know it is seeping or leaking somewhere! Currently not near civilization.... Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
90 Posts
probably a loose hose or clamp and the drip is hitting a hot surface and boiling off. if it's not in your oil not on the ground it's just getting turned to vapor.

my unprofessional opinion

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
probably a loose hose or clamp and the drip is hitting a hot surface and boiling off. if it's not in your oil not on the ground it's just getting turned to vapor.

my unprofessional opinion
That’s what I am thinking also ( was in radiator business for 45 years) but wondering if any other experiences/ explanations!. Nothing in oil, no performance issues, no CEL other than Low Coolant...

·
Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
90 Posts
I had similar happen on my 03 1500 silverado I replaced the coolant reservoir and cleaned the hoses real good

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well we’re still on the road & had some time to play with truck this evening…. Got it to leak from SOMEWHERE near the back of the engine. Unable to determine exactly where but I’m thinking it is a hose or a clamp. Will let you know WHAT after we get home next week… And either my buddy or dealer can look at it….

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good morning all…. Just off the phone with the dealer and was told that the leak is coming from “ the back of the motor & a significant amount of parts need to be removed to more accurately determine exactly where the leak is”… The dealership will have the vehicle for an extended amount of time… That is not the kind of news on wants to hear…

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the dealership: As we spoke of the leak is coming from the back of the motor. These are the tech notes "Pressure tested cooling system and found heavy leak coming from back of motor. Lifted vehicle and inspected leak and found rear cover housing leaking coolant between cover and block.
Failed rear cover gaskets." The scope of work here is going to involve the heavy line mechanics and one of my two lifts(Currently in use) that can accommodate your vehicles size and weight. As I talked to you about Wednesday, this type of work is usually a couple of weeks. I have involved Steve on the repair we are aware that you have plans on the 30th and would love to accommodate and I'm not saying that we will not, but we may not be able to hit that mark. I will have more information for you later today.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Transmission is out, oil pan is off & back of motor is bare.... Was an O-ring leak... 56,000 miles... Under warranty...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts