Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about pulled the trigger on a 2020 high country 2500 and trade my 2015 LTZ 2500. Never thought to look up the payload, its a 2020 bigger, stronger more torque, tow more all the number are better right? Good thing I checked the sticker inside the door, the 2020 payload was a useless 1500lbs, my 2015 is 2200lbs , the same as my fifth wheel pin weight, both trucks loaded and same gvwr , obviously the 2020 needs to go on a diet . All I can figure is the larger cab on the 2020 sucks up 700lbs of payload. Anyone run into this?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Shoot, my 2018 All-Terrain HD is 1,984lb. It hasn’t been an issue for me yet, but that was something simple I overlooked after all the research I’d done before hand. I would have had the same thoughts and been as surprised as you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do you have a pic of the sticker? That doesn't seem right. Not calling you a liar, jist curious what all the numbers are

·
Registered
119 Posts
I’m gonna say you need to check your numbers again because there is no way you have the same payload as a 1/2 ton.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’m gonna say you need to check your numbers again because there is no way you have the same payload as a 1/2 ton.
I can’t speak for the 2020’s, but for the earlier models, it’s absolutely possible. Depending on options packages, payload numbers for 1/2 & 3/4 tons can definitely overlap.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is my thought too - thats why im curious what the sticker looks like that OP looked at.

There's an entirely separate sticker now which could be confused with the regular ol GVRW.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welp. There ya have it. Whats the cab configuration? CCSB?

I know it sucks to say being a brand new truck, but why don't you go to a spring shop and have them add another leaf? Or get some air bags. That way you'll keep the ride quality but get the few extra pounds.

·
Registered
502 Posts
LOL, that doesn't change the number that's on the sticker
Welp. There ya have it. Whats the cab configuration? CCSB?

I know it sucks to say being a brand new truck, but why don't you go to a spring shop and have them add another leaf? Or get some air bags. That way you'll keep the ride quality but get the few extra pounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it’s government regulation not to exceed 10,000lbs gvwr , so you end up witha payload less the weight of the truck, but in reality it can hold much more, check out the front and rear axle ratings and we know the rear tires are good for 7500 lbs , 11,990 with both axles curb weight is 8305 leaving 3685lbs spread across both axles. The rear could safely take two thirds of the 3685lbs, like 2300lbs, not sure but remember an RV guy telling me to worry more about the axle ratings

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
Because a "RV guy" has a clue about GVW's. They're the same idiots that say any trailer on there lot is 1/2 ton towable.
I think it’s government regulation not to exceed 10,000lbs gvwr , so you end up witha payload less the weight of the truck, but in reality it can hold much more, check out the front and rear axle ratings and we know the rear tires are good for 7500 lbs , 11,990 with both axles curb weight is 8305 leaving 3685lbs spread across both axles. The rear could safely take two thirds of the 3685lbs, like 2300lbs, not sure but remember an RV guy telling me to worry more about the axle ratings

·
Registered
119 Posts
So your saying that if I take my 19ft toyhauler, load it up with gear, put a full tank of fuel in the truck, and put my wife and the dogs in, id be at max payload.

Why have a diesel at that point when you can’t even use it to it’s potential??

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you want to worry about numbers and payload and are dead set on a 3/4t truck, better buy a gasser. Not breaking news here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can choose the GVRW
10k, 10.6k, and 11,350 lbs. GVWR

My brother's sticker on his AT-4 says 3,152 lb cargo.

Definitely the nicest truck I've ever been in my life

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can choose the GVRW
10k, 10.6k, and 11,350 lbs. GVWR

My brother's sticker on his AT-4 says 3,152 lb cargo.

Definitely the nicest truck I've ever been in my life

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That was one thing that impressed me about the new 2020 2500’s is the ability to get a GVW rating higher than 10k. The only reason I can think of to get a 9900lb gvw now is if it offered any benefit to registration cost.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That was one thing that impressed me about the new 2020 2500’s is the ability to get a GVW rating higher than 10k. The only reason I can think of to get a 9900lb gvw now is if it offered any benefit to registration cost.
Not to mention insurance - my company asked for the numbers...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts