Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Nice. What was the load?
Mulch. Got suckered by a friend who owned a hardware / mower / nursery biz. He got hooked up with a semi-local mulch producer that told him he could get the first trailer load free. As much as he could fit on whatever trailer he brought. So I get a phone call, "go to the produce place and pick up this trailer he's letting me borrow..." Next thing I know I've got a flatbed trailer that they're loading pallets of mulch on until my bumper''s damn near dragging the ground. Towed maybe 20 miles and had him following with his flashers on. He now has a '16 Denali 2500 Duramax so won't be getting any more of those calls.

·
Vendor
10,946 Posts
Congratulations on the new rig. I got a Denalli a couple weeks ago now. Haven't pulled anything with it but plan to this weekend nothing big though, just a 20ft trailer and sxs.

I like mine but I had the dealer swap out my rims and tires for the OE stuff. I never had good luck with Good Year tires either.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Mulch. Got suckered by a friend who owned a hardware / mower / nursery biz. He got hooked up with a semi-local mulch producer that told him he could get the first trailer load free. As much as he could fit on whatever trailer he brought. So I get a phone call, "go to the produce place and pick up this trailer he's letting me borrow..." Next thing I know I've got a flatbed trailer that they're loading pallets of mulch on until my bumper''s damn near dragging the ground. Towed maybe 20 miles and had him following with his flashers on. He now has a '16 Denali 2500 Duramax so won't be getting any more of those calls.
If you've got pictures I bet they'd go over pretty well in the "towing pics" thread.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If you've got pictures I bet they'd go over pretty well in the "towing pics" thread.

No, always regretted not snapping a few at the time but I was pretty nervous / flustered about the whole deal and taking pictures just didn't occur to me at the time. But not kidding. Only time in 17+ years I've owned this truck that I could reach everything in the tool box while standing on the ground.

I ran Goodyears on my '92 1500 for several years after the factory Uniroyals wore out. I think they were Wranglers. They were ok tires but they kept developing a "pull" problem where if you let go of the steering wheel the truck would head for the ditch. Would rotate the problem tire to the rear, pull gone. Problem was, when the 3rd tire started pulling, you couldn't rotate it back without moving another pulling tire back to the front. I think I had 2 set of those tires do that and said enough! Swapped over the the LTX2s and been running Michelins ever since.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
No, always regretted not snapping a few at the time but I was pretty nervous / flustered about the whole deal and taking pictures just didn't occur to me at the time. But not kidding. Only time in 17+ years I've owned this truck that I could reach everything in the tool box while standing on the ground.

I ran Goodyears on my '92 1500 for several years after the factory Uniroyals wore out. I think they were Wranglers. They were ok tires but they kept developing a "pull" problem where if you let go of the steering wheel the truck would head for the ditch. Would rotate the problem tire to the rear, pull gone. Problem was, when the 3rd tire started pulling, you couldn't rotate it back without moving another pulling tire back to the front. I think I had 2 set of those tires do that and said enough! Swapped over the the LTX2s and been running Michelins ever since.
Yep. The Defenders that came on my '17 have been great. I have the same tires (but smaller) on my Pathfinder as well. I'm at 45k miles on my L5P and they're starting to show some wear, though. Contemplating a move to 19.5s if we get a fifth wheel toy hauler.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I've been getting about 60k miles per set of tires on this truck. As mentioned, LTX2, X-Radials and now still on the first set of Defenders. Not sure about the newer trucks but the Detroit Locker rear-end on these older ones wears the crap out of the rear tires. Only vehicle I've ever owned that wears rears faster than fronts. The Locker seems to stay locked up when making turns more than it should and because of that the inside tire hops or spins wearing the rears out faster. Pretty sure I could get about 80k per set if not for the rears wearing so fast.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I haven't towed my fiver as of yet, waiting on my B&W Companion RVK 3710 to come in. I did tow my utility trailer last weekend to help my sister move some stuff, and literally felt like nothing was back there. Averaged 15.8mpg that trip doing 75-80mph. The camera system on these new trucks is truly awesome, being able to see your load going down the road is very cool. The rearview mirror camera is a game changer in certain situations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought a 2019 because I was not a fan of the new model but they are starting to grow on me. Nice Truck!

Reactions: MrGraff

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ended up paying about 73k for it.... 79k MSRP.
9k more than I payed for my first house... Geeish!

Course the 101 drives a 45k es350.... and that’s just to fetch groceries!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
9k more than I payed for my first house... Geeish!

Course the 101 drives a 45k es350.... and that’s just to fetch groceries!!!!
My wife and I both got new vehicles this past month. She traded in her 2013 Mercedes ML 350 for a lightly used 2018 Mercedes GLE350. I traded my 2019 Denali in for my 2020 Denali.

Her 2018 "used" Mercedes was 42k. To be fair, we use my truck for nearly everything long trip wise.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks to powerhaulic… I'll be purchasing a Truxedo Pro X15 bed cover. My pocket book is going to need a rest.

·
Vendor
7 Posts
DuraFlap has the mud flaps designed for the 2019 Chevy 1500.
We are now working on the 2020 Chevy 2500/3500 trucks. Looks like it is going to take us a month or two.
If anyone lives near Medford, Oregon you can get free mud flaps in exchange for us using your truck as a model. Give us a call if you would like to work with us.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ordered my 3500 SRW AT4 June 29, production was supposed be July 30, but it's been pushed back to the end of September. A friend ordered a 2500 High Country August 12 and he will most likely get his first. This is my third, had an 55 that I loved stolen, then the 11 I just dumped that was awful.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts