Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2020 Denali HD 1 ton SRW

15K views 65 replies 20 participants last post by  48548 
#1 ·
So I wasnt intending to purchase but I found a great deal and well shall we say the rest is history. Only things Ive changed are tires, stock goodforyear were having vibration issues. Moved over to Michelin LTX AT2’s. So far, loving it! The new trucks have many many more options for tires for stock sizes.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Watch out for paint chips with those AT2s....rock magnets and stone tossers.
Might think about adding some flaps.

#7 ·
Dito. I ran those tires for along time and had to install mud flaps because the front of my black boat had about a million tiny rock chips on it. I still run Michelins, just a different model.

And congrats on the truck - I'm jealous! Exactly the truck that's on my list! Probably for '21 though.

#8 ·
I've probably logged around 200-300k on AT2's over the years, never had any issues with rock chips. I've run them on both GM and Ford trucks for the past 10 years at least. I could definitely see why they might pickup some rocks due to the tread pattern. All I know is the stock Goodyear Trailrunners were already showing vibration/balance issues when I drove it home from the dealer. I literally came home, and the next day went down to my local tire shop and they gave me $225 per goodyear towards the Michelins. Smooth as butter and seems to be more solid going down the road with the Michelins.

#9 ·
I didn't care for the lack of mileage life,
and the noise at 50% life wasn't enjoyable.

Like I said, keep an eye on your new paint.
Maybe they'll work out for ya.

#10 ·
I'm trying to get dealer to install Michelin Defenders before I even pick up my truck.
It is at the rail yard now, hope to get it trucked before the end of the week.

Reactions: Black HD
#11 ·
I didn't change models because of the rock chips, I changed because while those tires get awesome grip in the rain, the X-Radials they sold at Sams got even better wet traction. Best I've ever experienced and all-in-all, just great tires. They discontinued them a year or so ago so the last set I went with Defenders because I'd never tried them. I like them ok but they do make a bit of noise I wasn't used to with the X-Radials and they don't get near as much wet traction as the Xs or the AT2s.

All in, I have close to 1 million miles on Michelins of those 3 models over the years and unless something changes I will probably never buy another brand if I can help it. I do think I'm gonna go back to the AT2s next set because wet traction really matters in this part of the country.

#13 ·
Lots of talk on the Defenders...
I didn't change models because of the rock chips,....
I didn't either....ran several sets of the AT2s. I will admit, while they did have a longer life on a towing daily 1-ton, than other brands tried, they still didn't get close to the mileage warranty claim.

But while the road noise as they aged was annoying, it was the not holding a balance that did it. 7+oz of weight on a new tire, excessive IMO.
Luckily DT got me some $$ on the mileage warranty (because of inability to balance), applied to the new brand set. Instead of trying to run 'em down to the onion skin 2/32 Mich (fine print in warranty) requires for a warranty adjustment.

The R500s I switched to, exceed all of those issues with the Mich.
1-2oz to balance, and they hold balance and don't cup the edges of the front tires towing heavy (braking).

As a result, I forget and lapse on rotations.
Instead of 5k, I wind up at 12-15k before I notice a 'tremble' and head back to DT.

Had a road hazard take one, then the other out, replaced by new. But with 2 out of 6 new, too much of a mismatch on rotations....about 60k miles of wear.

So I started anew with another set (sold the used set), hoping for 80-100k miles on this 2nd set. :wink2:

#12 ·
Can you post a picture of the door weight sticker? Also, what is the load rating on the tires?

Very nice! Hope to buy one next year but it will be close on handling my pin weight.

#14 ·
So I wasnt intending to purchase but I found a great deal and well shall we say the rest is history. Only things Ive changed are tires, stock goodforyear were having vibration issues. Moved over to Michelin LTX AT2’s. So far, loving it! The new trucks have many many more options for tires for stock sizes.
Can you post a picture of the door weight sticker? Also, what is the load rating on the tires?

Very nice! Hope to buy one next year but it will be close on handling my pin weight.

Here ya go, 3750 load rating... these are the same size and rating as all of the michelins you see on super dutys.

Attachments

#19 ·
Here ya go, 3750 load rating... these are the same size and rating as all of the michelins you see on super dutys.
Thank you!

#16 ·
Looking at door sticker, GCWR minus Curb weight leaves you with 21270 Lbs trailer tow capacity?
WOW!

Reactions: MrGraff
#17 ·
Good luck hitting that weight without exceeding the rear axle/tires weight rating. And if it's a bumper-pull...well, a 20k bumper pull will suck for other reasons. ;)

#22 ·
Congratulations on the new rig. I got a Denalli a couple weeks ago now. Haven't pulled anything with it but plan to this weekend nothing big though, just a 20ft trailer and sxs.

I like mine but I had the dealer swap out my rims and tires for the OE stuff. I never had good luck with Good Year tires either.

#27 ·
I've been getting about 60k miles per set of tires on this truck. As mentioned, LTX2, X-Radials and now still on the first set of Defenders. Not sure about the newer trucks but the Detroit Locker rear-end on these older ones wears the crap out of the rear tires. Only vehicle I've ever owned that wears rears faster than fronts. The Locker seems to stay locked up when making turns more than it should and because of that the inside tire hops or spins wearing the rears out faster. Pretty sure I could get about 80k per set if not for the rears wearing so fast.

#28 · (Edited)
I haven't towed my fiver as of yet, waiting on my B&W Companion RVK 3710 to come in. I did tow my utility trailer last weekend to help my sister move some stuff, and literally felt like nothing was back there. Averaged 15.8mpg that trip doing 75-80mph. The camera system on these new trucks is truly awesome, being able to see your load going down the road is very cool. The rearview mirror camera is a game changer in certain situations.

#29 ·
I just bought a 2019 because I was not a fan of the new model but they are starting to grow on me. Nice Truck!

Reactions: MrGraff
#30 ·
#37 ·
DuraFlap has the mud flaps designed for the 2019 Chevy 1500.
We are now working on the 2020 Chevy 2500/3500 trucks. Looks like it is going to take us a month or two.
If anyone lives near Medford, Oregon you can get free mud flaps in exchange for us using your truck as a model. Give us a call if you would like to work with us.

Attachments

#38 ·
I ordered my 3500 SRW AT4 June 29, production was supposed be July 30, but it's been pushed back to the end of September. A friend ordered a 2500 High Country August 12 and he will most likely get his first. This is my third, had an 55 that I loved stolen, then the 11 I just dumped that was awful.

#42 ·
That would be correct, I was told they were on constraint when I ordered as I wanted them also.
They are still on constraint.
As are AT4's now too, I think they are selling better than GM anticipated.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.