Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We traded in our 2015 Dmax 3500 DRW for a 2020 Dmax 3500 DRW.
Our previous 2015 had a distinct feel when the exhaust brake was activated, our 2020 we feel nothing at all.
The YouTube 2020 Dmax tests they didn't feel anything either.

Am I or are we missing something and have it wrong and it's working?

Any takes?
Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Youtube video I watched that discussed non performance of the exhaust brake was a problem since they were not using the brake correctly. I have not used mine enough to understand all the logic but I typically have the vehicle in cruise control once I begin the downhill and then apply the exhaust brake. It provides amazing control on my 2018. There is also some variation as which gear the trucks transmission will be limited to.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I appreciate the take.
I watched the Fast Lane Truck Ike Gauntlet Youtube and they complained they could not detect the brake either. I feel the tow haul mode braking, but don't detect the exhaust brake at all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you applying the Cruise Control? Keep truck in tow mode. Note that the converter must be locked up. My experience only applies to the 2018

View attachment 1076366
View attachment 1076367
Appreciate the info. Our 2015 it worked no matter what conditions. Dealer delivered the truck and forgot our spare key and owners manual. I figured it had something to do with the new driveline.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Check out this Youtube video. Not a V8 video but it does mention the benefits of using the Cruise Control. My impression is that the Exhaust Brake will work with or without the cruise control but it definitely works better in my truck when cruise control is engaged.

Youtube 2020 Duramax Exhaust Brake

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the 3.0 Dmax. We have the 6.6 and evidently it works the same.
Thanks for the info.
Owners manual just arrived in the mail.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have an 18 and didn't think much of the exhaust brake. I could feel it working a little and thought ok. I was towing a 14k trailer one day and came over a hill with traffic stopped on other side. When I panic mashed the brake pedal, the transmission went from 6 to 3. The engine went to redline, and the truck came to an abrupt halt. I was very impressed.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Appreciate the info. Our 2015 it worked no matter what conditions. Dealer delivered the truck and forgot our spare key and owners manual. I figured it had something to do with the new driveline.
Nice set up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an 18 and didn't think much of the exhaust brake. I could feel it working a little and thought ok. I was towing a 14k trailer one day and came over a hill with traffic stopped on other side. When I panic mashed the brake pedal, the transmission went from 6 to 3. The engine went to redline, and the truck came to an abrupt halt. I was very impressed.
Appreciate that info

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the takes.
BTW:
First towing adventure I immediately noticed lots more low end power and light, responsive steering. Really fun to drive.
Much bigger truck, much bigger and spacious interior over our 2015 too.

When filling the tank the first click is full. Our 2015 took 5 more minutes to slowly add 4 more gallons. With the small fuel tanks in GM trucks every gallon we could stuff in there counted.

The Curt Hitch came in three pieces and took 20 minutes to assemble and install. Though rated for 30.500 lbs it's much smaller than our lesser rated hitches of the past.

Reviewers bitched about the dash not being redesigned but compared to our 2015 3500 Denali it is redesigned and refined. Just the same size Nav screen of the previous generation and that works good for us. The heads up color display on the drivers side windshield is way better than a bigger nav screen on the dash IMHO.

Wife started it up one cold morning with the remote and entering the truck a few minutes later the seats and the steering wheel were warm. A BFD to chix I guess. She sure liked it.

One thing that we've come to realize is options that we're not yet available when we ordered it GM simply included and the price remained the same. Like the engine block heater and a few other minor things.

One regret on our 2015 was not have the clear bra put on. Made sure this time to do that first thing. Color all matches, just the angle of light brings out shades and contrasts in pix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now that you've towed - did you feel the exhaust? I'm looking at a 2020 too (in a 2016 now) and I'd hate for that exhaust break to not kick in when I'm being pushed by 18000lbs of camper.

Side questions based on your last post...did you find a difference in hitch height based on the different design of the truck bed? Does the truck sit about the same height as the last round of 3500s?

Happy to hear that overall you liked the tow - I'm a bit worried about going from the tried and true transmission to this new 10-speed....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2" squat - our 2015 was over 3". I think I feel the exhaust brake. 2 fists hitch height just about the same as our 2015.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
2" squat - our 2015 was over 3". I think I feel the exhaust brake. 2 fists hitch height just about the same as our 2015.
I know that in my 2017 there's no "thinking" about it -- you know for damn sure that thing is working, or it's not. Do you drive in manual mode? If so, the automatic downshifts won't occur, which is where the exhaust brake really shines.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fully automatic. We're heading to Sedona next week and we'll get a better chance to use it and report back.
Most definitely not the same as on our 2015 Dmax.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Wife hauls livestock trailers in sketchy terrain situations and the auto 4wd, auto lock hubs, auto locking differential, auto trans of the GMC suites her fine over the manual everything Fords. Less things to have to remember to deal and fiddle with.
Towing I put it the trans in auto and it's set and forget,, amazingly smooth ya can't even feel it shift.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know that in my 2017 there's no "thinking" about it -- you know for damn sure that thing is working, or it's not. Do you drive in manual mode? If so, the automatic downshifts won't occur, which is where the exhaust brake really shines.
That's changed for 2020 and I miss that. Brutal stopping power before. It was bad azzzz. TFL Truck tested the GMC over the Ike gauntlet and they couldn't feel the exhaust brake work either. Maybe it's easier on the system. Damfino.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For those that are not feeling an effective exhaust brake are you using cruise control? Mine can come on almost too strong sometimes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For those that are not feeling an effective exhaust brake are you using cruise control? Mine can come on almost too strong sometimes.
Thanks. I will explore that this week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts