Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Premium Member
Thought the waterpump was gear driven off cam?

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
It is, still. But the new big ar$e fan got it's own belt with the upgrade.

Registered
We keep seeing this reply on multiple sites (posted by you ) that suggests that GM has this issue managed, perhaps you could convince GM to provide a solution to this obvious defect.

Registered
that gm bulletin was from mid-February. For my new 2020 Duramax, the relevant bulletin is the one dated early March and addresses the auxiliary belt thumping as possible cause.
My goal on these duramax forums was to aggregate and centralize information, and another (very intelligent) user on one of the other forums and I pm'ed a bunch of info that led to the state of things today.
I am not a mechanic, and I only know the thumping sound at idle that my new truck makes. Other owners might be experiencing the same sound/issue, or they might have a truck with a completely different issue but mistakenly believe that their truck's issue is addressed by these gm bulletins. I do not believe that gm "...has this issue managed..." as you say. I never wrote that, anywhere, and I do not agree with gm that this is "normal".
I'm close to disappearing from these forums now, because the issue on my truck is the issue from the March gm bulletin, and gm has said that there is no repair/fix. Nothing left for me to discover with respect to this thumping sound. Nonetheless, if I can help anyone, they can contact me and I'll be happy to clarify/help/share what I have learned.
Thanks.

Registered
Thumping sound heard at idle and increases with RPM as you drive. Can hear it easily when standing outside front or when listening near front wheel wells and from inside the truck. This is my 4th Duramax so I am familiar with all the ticking noise complaints but this is not a tick. Truck had 660 miles when I Left it with dealer and they said it was "EGR valve operation noise, normal coming from EGR system". None of my other trucks had this loud of a thumping sound. No codes and truck runs fine. Anyone else have this same noise?
Thanks,
Jhc
2020 Denali
2017 Denali
2015 Chevy LT
2008 Chevy LT
I
Thumping sound heard at idle and increases with RPM as you drive. Can hear it easily when standing outside front or when listening near front wheel wells and from inside the truck. This is my 4th Duramax so I am familiar with all the ticking noise complaints but this is not a tick. Truck had 660 miles when I Left it with dealer and they said it was "EGR valve operation noise, normal coming from EGR system". None of my other trucks had this loud of a thumping sound. No codes and truck runs fine. Anyone else have this same noise?
Thanks,
Jhc
2020 Denali
2017 Denali
2015 Chevy LT
2008 Chevy LT
I have a 20 Chevy Duramax with the same noise. Dealer and GM both said it was normal and gave me a printout of the old ticking noise. It is definitely not a tick. My brother has the 19 L5P and no thumping.????????馃檮馃檮馃檮

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Oil cooler is different....perhaps they're on track with the similar 'tick' oil flow related scenario?

Registered
This is the issue with mine. We went thru the simple steps to remove the aux belt temporarily and the thumping at idle disappeared.
I know another owner in Colorado who had this "aux belt" test done by his dealer, and the dealer concluded that on his truck, this is the cause.

Registered
This is the issue with mine. We went thru the simple steps to remove the aux belt temporarily and the thumping at idle disappeared.
I know another owner in Colorado who had this "aux belt" test done by his dealer, and the dealer concluded that on his truck, this is the cause.
If I can help you, I will, but for now this is all I know.

Registered
just got mine back from the dealer after a week there. They listened thru all point, front and rear, determined it was coming from the rear of the Engine near Transmission area

Ran 2 other 2020's they had to warm up and both made same Thump/Bumping sound very distinct.

I think some people hear a tick and thinks it the same sound when its not. they reported to GM and currently there is no fix, but it is not related to the drive pulleys

Registered
This is my post from another forum, thought I鈥檇 share it here too:

Count me as another new owner of a thumping 2020 Duramax, with about 650 miles total. Shortly after noticing the thumping at idle, I Googled it and discovered this forum. I listened to recordings posted here and they sound identical to mine. I was was relieved to learn that GM claims there鈥檚 no short or long term effects on engine, disappointed there鈥檚 no fix yet to eliminate the thumping.

Tonight after warming up the engine I did the belt removal check and sure enough, the thumping sound disappeared. Reinstalled the belt and the sound returned. Belt looks good and has no discernible seams, lumps or other defects. Pulleys look good too, and the grooves are clean. Tensioner and fan clutch don鈥檛 feel abnormal. The tensioner has a smaller pulley so I would think the frequency of the noise would be higher than it is if it was the culprit, and the thump does seem to occur once per engine revolution. So I don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 coming from the tensioner pulley.

I did notice there is wiring going to the fan clutch, probably to lock it up when extra cooling is needed. What if whatever controls that is sending a pulse to it every revolution? I鈥檓 curious whether pulling that plug would eliminate the noise. Has anyone already tried this? Post up if you do try it please. If no one else tries this by tomorrow night then I鈥檒l give it a try.

I鈥檓 just brainstorming here and am pretty baffled so far. But I鈥檓 determined to figure it out.

So who will solve this puzzle first...GM or us? Please keep us updated if you discover anything new, and thanks for posting this info.

Even with this annoying thump I still love my new truck! It鈥檚 a real pleasure to drive and to tow with.

Registered
I traded in a 2019 high country 2500 with 4000 miles because of injection problems Tuesday of this week for a 2020 Denali 3500 single rear wheel. Now less that 200 miles I have the thumping sound. State is on lock down now for a month so unless it gets any worse i will drive it till they have a recall.. I love this truck no pedal lag , lots of low in grunt and rides and drives super...

Registered
I traded in a 2019 high country 2500 with 4000 miles because of injection problems Tuesday of this week for a 2020 Denali 3500 single rear wheel. Now less that 200 miles I have the thumping sound. State is on lock down now for a month so unless it gets any worse i will drive it till they have a recall.. I love this truck no pedal lag , lots of low in grunt and rides and drives super...
it will get worse, I have seen no issues except the sound is annoying, drive the truck. Hopefully they do find a fix but im not overly worried about it

21 - 36 of 36 Posts