Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

Curious if anyone has experience on how well the 2020 GMC LED headlight/High beam and Fog perform at night?

A little gun shy as I am sure a few of you know how bad the first gen headlights were in the 2014 redesign.

I have an SUV with all LED headlights and have found them to perform a little worse than HID's.

Comments/feedback from owners appreciated.

·
Registered
286 Posts
They are much improved over the previous style projector headlamps from the 15-19 GMC HDs and 14-18 1500s.

The fog lights are better in that they cast a wide pattern lower and in front of the truck. They're great at illuminating the shoulders and sides of the road.

The headlights perform very well in both color and illumination. Intellibeam works very well and unlike previous years, the highbeams are actually effective. Before, it felt like you couldn't tell when highbeams were even on, of if you could it was because they added light so high up that it was shown on trees, etc.

Most of my dark driving so far has been in the morning, but I'm pleased with the new lights. With winter approaching quickly and days getting shorter, the new LED headlamps are going to be a welcome addition.

FWIW, my last truck was a 2018 Denali HD that I swapped in Morimoto 35w D5S headlamp bulbs and Morimoto LED fogs. Low beam and fogs were improved in that truck with the new bulbs, but the highbeams were worthless. But, even with upgraded bulbs, they don't hold a candle to the 2020 LEDs.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I am pleased with the high/low beams great illumination.
The fogs I am not impressed with yet, if they are on the intellabeams do not function.
I don't find they do very much, I have not looked to see if they can be adjusted yet.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am pleased with the high/low beams great illumination.
The fogs I am not impressed with yet, if they are on the intellabeams do not function.
I don't find they do very much, I have not looked to see if they can be adjusted yet.
This is the part I do not like. Any extra light is welcome from the fog lights when in the country away from light pollution.

I find that the fogs do not project very far in front of the truck (and they shouldn't), but there is a noticeable difference in the width/side illumination.

I've done the diode trick from highbeam to fogs. Perhaps I'll add a second diode to jump from lowbeams to fogs. This would allow the fogs to be on anytime the lowbeams are on and still allow Intellibeam to function too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.