Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I'm sure we are all awaiting a solution for the adjustable hitches to come out with a solution to work with the multipro tailgate. I decided to try and find something that was already around that would work. I originally had a b&w tow and stow, and it was set to 6 inches of drop for my 2020 which sits just about right for a level ride with my utility trailer. Got me to thinking is there a 6 inch drop hitch that has the angled design? And would it clear the new multipro tailgate fully deployed? The answer to both is YES! YES it does!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZ1VVCQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00EZ1VVCQ&pd_rd_w=ubDmz&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=SjoET&pf_rd_r=REG1HNHF1JB4969H33PR&pd_rd_r=3c6d07d4-9421-47e8-bf5c-233c91ac590a&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVFlDRFJaMlg3WEszJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTUwODYxMlBWM1IxWEY5T1hTRCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODgxNTA0MUpGRVkzVTZOSzRGViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Attachments

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Pretty cool.

Question: I think that the top section of the tailgate on opens via a button (electrically). Is that true?

If that is true, then what occurs to me is that installing a sprung switch in the hitch receiver that opens electrically when a hitch is actually in the receiver and wiring that into the tailgate control wiring would keep the gate from opening when a draw bar is in the receiver. This would be like a safety and would keep you from dinging the tailgate when you forget about the clearance problem. Electrically speaking, this would be VERY easy to do. Might have to piddle and experiment a little on the switch in the receiver socket but I envision a lever or something similar that is shoved back or to the side when the draw bar is shoved in thus activating the switch (opening it electrically) and interrupting the "open" circuit for that part of the tailgate.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty cool.

Question: I think that the top section of the tailgate on opens via a button (electrically). Is that true?

If that is true, then what occurs to me is that installing a sprung switch in the hitch receiver that opens electrically when a hitch is actually in the receiver and wiring that into the tailgate control wiring would keep the gate from opening when a draw bar is in the receiver. This would be like a safety and would keep you from dinging the tailgate when you forget about the clearance problem. Electrically speaking, this would be VERY easy to do. Might have to piddle and experiment a little on the switch in the receiver socket but I envision a lever or something similar that is shoved back or to the side when the draw bar is shoved in thus activating the switch (opening it electrically) and interrupting the "open" circuit for that part of the tailgate.

Im sure it could be done, and yes its an electric lock with two buttons. The reason I posted this configuration or setup is because you don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have a couple of trailers that I doubt would tow very well on a 5" drop. Currently I'm running a 3" rise on one and flat on the other. Both with 5/16" balls. Of course the new trucks sit higher than mine, but I doubt 7" -8" higher.

Your solution is definitely simpler and easier, just not sure it can work for everything.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Had the multipro gate and hitch issue briefly on my 1500...

Yeah for a fully electric tailgate there should be a hitch interlock... Got past the GM designers or they just don't care...

And while we are at it... How about a dash indicator when the tailgate open... Sure we all get absent minded every now and then... w my toneau cover I can't see it... almost dumped my gear pulling away and remembered the gate was down...

·
Registered
70 Posts

And while we are at it... How about a dash indicator when the tailgate open... Sure we all get absent minded every now and then... w my toneau cover I can't see it... almost dumped my gear pulling away and remembered the gate was down...
I've lost a few tools in my day from an open tailgate. A indicator would be great since there is a button in the cab to open it.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
No the multi pro hits that even folded up.
Yes it does..... I am going to try and take my tailgate apart this weekend to see if I can create a shim for the hinge-stops on the upper gate portion - limiting the opening enough to miss my B and W.

·
Registered
114 Posts
While I'm sure we are all awaiting a solution for the adjustable hitches to come out with a solution to work with the multipro tailgate. I decided to try and find something that was already around that would work. I originally had a b&w tow and stow, and it was set to 6 inches of drop for my 2020 which sits just about right for a level ride with my utility trailer. Got me to thinking is there a 6 inch drop hitch that has the angled design? And would it clear the new multipro tailgate fully deployed? The answer to both is YES! YES it does! Here is a couple of links to a couple options.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45342-Forged-Ball-Mount/dp/B00IIOA0C8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZ1VVCQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00EZ1VVCQ&pd_rd_w=ubDmz&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=SjoET&pf_rd_r=REG1HNHF1JB4969H33PR&pd_rd_r=3c6d07d4-9421-47e8-bf5c-233c91ac590a&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVFlDRFJaMlg3WEszJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTUwODYxMlBWM1IxWEY5T1hTRCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODgxNTA0MUpGRVkzVTZOSzRGViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
very nice, im glad somebody found a solution to this! i would hate to spend all this money on a truck just for a hitch to dent my TG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Went to SEMA, B&W has an HD specific MultiPro Tow & Stow hitch coming on the market in two weeks. I don't have the part number yet, but it will be the same as the regular one with MP after the existing part number. They had a demo one at the show, I could put my fingers between the hitch and tailgate.

·
Registered
233 Posts
at 8:40

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's great. I'll still have to be mindful when towing my travel trailer, but I typically pull that drawbar out right after unhitching.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to see B&W made something, knew it would happen just a matter of time! So far my original solution is working perfectly!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
In the process of getting everything back into my new truck, I decided to see if my hitch was going to work. Here are the pictures. If you are just lowering the step portion, it clears. Aslthough, I would not step on it due to the flex in the gate will definitely cause interference.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts