Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 1-ton High Country with just under 1500 miles. I bought it in late December and haven't driven it much since. With one of our first nice days, I went out to wash and wax today and noticed a ton of little rust spots in the paint. The pictures don't capture it well but they are very noticeable from a few feet away if you are looking for them. These pictures were AFTER using a cleaner wax today so I'm not thinking this is going get better - just worse. I'll take it to the dealer next week but interested in anyone's thoughts on what should be done about it.

FYI - I have NOT driven this on gravel.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
250 Posts
New paint job

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looks like rail dust to me I would bet a wash with iron remover and a little time claying the truck would have it looking brand new. White vehicles are more easily noticed than a darker color.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like rail dust to me I would bet a wash with iron remover and a little time claying the truck would have it looking brand new. White vehicles are more easily noticed than a darker color.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
Thank you! Tried the iron remover and clay bar. Got 98% off and will continue to work on the rest. A lot of work but worth it to prevent staining the paint!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My white lly did that often

·
Registered
247 Posts
Looks exactly like rail dust as mentioned above. Not real tough to get rid of if you are a person who enjoys doing this type of detail work on your vehicle. Going to take hours so if you are not up to it get it done professionally. Will need to get all of it then use a good sealer then a wax. I like the Pinnacle Black label products for this.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Hi guys, kindly define "Rail Dust" for me. And if this happened prior to the sale, should it not be the dealer's responsibility, particularly if it is still under warranty?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys, kindly define "Rail Dust" for me. And if this happened prior to the sale, should it not be the dealer's responsibility, particularly if it is still under warranty?
You don't want the dealer clay barring or polishing your truck. They might would do it but I wouldn't let them. Find a good shop to do it and just eat the cost. Maybe see if they will reimburse some but probably not.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Welcome to owning a white truck. There is nothing wrong with your paint and your dealer will likely laugh if you try to get them to cover the cost to remove the rail dust.

Rail dust is essentially little particles from the road that stick on the paint and rust over time. It happens to all vehicles but is more easily seen on white, silver, or light colored vehicles. I think it gets the name from being transported via rail cars. I've noticed my truck gets it worse in the winter which I believe comes from the wear bars on the snowplows.

Really all you gotta do is clay bar the truck whenever it's getting to the point of being noticeable. I usually do my truck once or twice a year. I think a good wax also helps prevent the rail dust from sticking to begin with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with the assessment and recommended treatment. I did look up the Pinnacle wax and my goodness that's expensive stuff. There's got to be a lower cost alternative that's reasonable. I'm not that into detailing so I'm happy to be educated if there's something unique about the pinnacle product.

Looks exactly like rail dust as mentioned above. Not real tough to get rid of if you are a person who enjoys doing this type of detail work on your vehicle. Going to take hours so if you are not up to it get it done professionally. Will need to get all of it then use a good sealer then a wax. I like the Pinnacle Black label products for this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a new 1-ton High Country with just under 1500 miles. I bought it in late December and haven't driven it much since. With one of our first nice days, I went out to wash and wax today and noticed a ton of little rust spots in the paint. The pictures don't capture it well but they are very noticeable from a few feet away if you are looking for them. These pictures were AFTER using a cleaner wax today so I'm not thinking this is going get better - just worse. I'll take it to the dealer next week but interested in anyone's thoughts on what should be done about it.

FYI - I have NOT driven this on gravel.

Thanks in advance!
View attachment 1075866 View attachment 1075867 View attachment 1075869 View attachment 1075870 View attachment 1075871 View attachment 1075872
I heard from a reliable source that these metallic particles are from the metallic brakes. He has a white 2015 Denali HD. I had the exact same conditions on a white 2008 Sierra Denali. I believe it to be true. Metallic brake dust finding its way into the paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Until May of last year I’ve worked as a master body technician and painter in a large Chevy dealer for 23 years. Rail dust is caused by the wheels on train cars grinding against the tracks. The friction causes metal dust which floats in the air as the train goes along and it lands on the paint while it’s hot and etches in. As it gets wet it starts to rust and after awhile that rust starts to stain the paint which is especially noticeable on white. It is covered by warranty and any dealer with a good body shop can fix it. The problem is many do not. I wouldn’t want to repaint a new truck unless absolutely necessary. Clay bar and elbow grease will hopefully resolve but in the end weather it can be fixed without painting depends on how far it is etched in the paint.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I heard from a reliable source that these metallic particles are from the metallic brakes. He has a white 2015 Denali HD. I had the exact same conditions on a white 2008 Sierra Denali. I believe it to be true. Metallic brake dust finding its way into the paint.
LOL your reliable source is in the weeds! OLD ISSUE and well known....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Until May of last year I’ve worked as a master body technician and painter in a large Chevy dealer for 23 years. Rail dust is caused by the wheels on train cars grinding against the tracks. The friction causes metal dust which floats in the air as the train goes along and it lands on the paint while it’s hot and etches in. As it gets wet it starts to rust and after awhile that rust starts to stain the paint which is especially noticeable on white. It is covered by warranty and any dealer with a good body shop can fix it. The problem is many do not. I wouldn’t want to repaint a new truck unless absolutely necessary. Clay bar and elbow grease will hopefully resolve but in the end weather it can be fixed without painting depends on how far it is etched in the paint.
GMPainter is correct,
I only wanted to add that the brake shoes on rail cars are also a composite shoe that is mostly iron. So they are like grinding stones on the wheels. Trains also use sand on the rails for traction and it is applied from the locomotive when starting out and at slow speeds. So everything on a train is covered with dust including our new cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LOL your reliable source is in the weeds! OLD ISSUE and well known....
You’re right, Dave; but it wasn’t my “reliable source” in the weeds, it was me. He didn’t post it here. The original post described a brand new truck, and I forgot about that. I’m sure it is rail dust. In the case of my buddy’s truck, it’s 5 years old and these rust specks just now appeared. I think it’s a different problem. Sorry for the distraction.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Yes - rail dust from train tracks / wheels. On my 3rd white pickup in ~30 years. Have been told about rail dust every time by one person or another. The first time it was when I brought it in to have a spray-in liner installed. They took me out and showed me BEFORE they sprayed that there were little spots in the paint. Guess they got tired of people noticing afterwards and blaming them. The ones I've seen were always tiny black spots. Never seen any as big as the ones in the OP. I've never done anything about mine but if they looked like that, I'd have to. dang!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts