Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I bought a 2020 Denali L5P a few weeks ago. I've put 350-400 miles on it and it drives like crap. At highway speeds (65-80) the steering wheel shakes back and forth/vibrates. The first time I took it back to the dealer they put 2 new tires on it and road force balanced all of them. Picked it up, but the ride was just as poor, if not worse. Brought it back to the dealer today and test drove 2 other new Denali L5Ps they had on the lot, and they drove just as bad and had the same steering wheel wobble.

The dealer just called after having it for a few hours and said "this is a known issue to GM and they don't currently have a solution". Has any other new 2020 owners experienced similar problems or have any solutions? I'm hoping its just the crappy stock Goodyear Wrangler trailrunner's that these trucks are coming with???

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Junk GoodYears, combined with tech's who more often than not not very good at balancing.
JMHO

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I test drove a 2020 Chevy LTZ about 10 miles a few weeks ago. It drove and rode great but I never looked to see what kind of tires it had.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hope it works out for you because that is a really good looking truck. I think powerhaulic is right.

·
Registered
156 Posts
As I said in the PM, the Goodyear tires are the main source of the vibrations. The Goodyear Trailrunners are notorious for vibration/balancing problems across many other brands of vehicles that use them as OEM.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This issue has nothing to do with tires. There is a steering calibration coming to fix. Should be available in about two weeks for service.

#iworkforGM

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just test drove one last week and it was an awesome drive/ride, couldn't get the grin off my face with the new ride & transmission making the new truck throttle response feel more like the 2006 lbz I had but with all the amenities of the new ride and quiet cab and features... Truly an enjoyable experience, now I'm trying to figure out if it is worth cashing in some investments and buying it outright rather than financing the difference between the 2017 3500 SRW Denali and the new one. No GM incentives yet and no low interest rates...........at least here in Canada.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
I have an AT4 and it does not shake at all.... drives and rides excellent at all speeds and with or without a load or trailer

·
Vendor
10,949 Posts
I have about 3k on my 2020 now and I have noticed a small vibration. I took my rims and tires off my LML when I traded it in so I am taking it in on Friday to have them rotate and balance again plus do Fox shocks, Sulastic Shackles and a steering stabilizer to see if that corrects it for me. Again, mine was very mild and the ride overall has been great.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have about 3k on my 2020 now and I have noticed a small vibration. I took my rims and tires off my LML when I traded it in so I am taking it in on Friday to have them rotate and balance again plus do Fox shocks, Sulastic Shackles and a steering stabilizer to see if that corrects it for me. Again, mine was very mild and the ride overall has been great.
Fox shocks? wasn't aware anything was out for the 2020 HDs as of yet

·
Registered
156 Posts
Same as the 17-19s. A guy on FB showed his truck not long after they came out. If something doesn't work, I will let ya know.
whatttttt…. so your telling me I can go grab some Bilstein 5100s for a 2019 and they'll work?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Should. Let me confirm this week on the ones I have for mine then I can let you know for sure.
man - its a new truck and already new shocks?

Reactions: mizterwizard

·
Vendor
10,949 Posts
Yup. Have never been a fan of Rancho. Had Fox 2.0s and Sulastic shackles on my LML. Was the first thing I did to it when I bought it. Made a huge difference in the ride. Some of the reps from the local dealership I use for mx told me countless times it road better than a stock new truck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My 2019 had less than 3000 miles on it and the stock ranchos were toast. Put some Bilsteins on and never looked back, shoulda grabbed em before I traded … oh well!

·
Registered
91 Posts
whatttttt…. so your telling me I can go grab some Bilstein 5100s for a 2019 and they'll work?
Going to be watching this closely. I saw his post and thought the same thing. Even went to Bilstein's website and checked, but no info is available yet.

Wonder if the valving/dampening is sufficient for the new platform.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts