Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Takes a long sit for a dmax to come to the true level.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Have changed mine twice---10 qt's on the nose. I use 5-40 Amsoil though and it is operating temp.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Maybe Mr. Hulk is in on the GM strike
His name is Bob.
He's a Legend on the line in Flint. :teehee

Forced Early retirement, hand's too big for the new filters.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
according to the capacity charts on gm-techlink the oil capacity has been 10 qts. on both 2019/2020 even though the filters changed. The filter on the 2019 L5D is the smaller filter just like the 2020 L5P and it takes 10 qts. as well. I have used 10 qts. on all my dmaxs and they all showed full-- just sayin"

Reactions: DMaxRocks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
according to the capacity charts on gm-techlink the oil capacity has been 10 qts. on both 2019/2020 even though the filters changed. The filter on the 2019 L5D is the smaller filter just like the 2020 L5P and it takes 10 qts. as well. I have used 10 qts. on all my dmaxs and they all showed full-- just sayin"
I had a 2019 L5P.... and it would take 10.5 qts every change, but as I said I usually let it drain 20-30 mins. The 2020 is not the same filter, the 2020 is slightly smaller.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I had a 2019 L5P.... and it would take 10.5 qts every change, but as I said I usually let it drain 20-30 mins. The 2020 is not the same filter, the 2020 is slightly smaller.
Did you let if sit for 2-3 hours (or better yet, overnight) before checking the level?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Did you let if sit for 2-3 hours (or better yet, overnight) before checking the level?
Generally speaking no one does that, that being said though makes me wonder if anyone who has done teardowns could shed some light on that subject.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just checked been sitting since 8am almost 9 hours. Right on the full line. Changed last weekend one 2.5 gallon jug of Amsoil 5-40 Signature and the EA filter.

Engine was at operating temp and was allowed to drain for about 5 minutes before the plug went back on.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Just checked been sitting since 8am almost 9 hours. Right on the full line. Changed last weekend one 2.5 gallon jug of Amsoil 5-40 Signature and the EA filter.

Engine was at operating temp and was allowed to drain for about 5 minutes before the plug went back on.
That's been my experience as well with LLY, LMM, LML and L5P oil changes and in-service level checks.

Drop oil warm. Let it drain til is dripping, rather than flowing. Maybe a little longer if something swapping tires/finishing greasing/etc.

Add 2.5 gal/10gt/9.5L.
Start it and make sure filter isn't leaking.
Check oil level next morning and it's always right at full.

But checked to soon after engine shutdown and it will appear to be not full.

Dmax supplement recommends not checking it too soon:

It says -

Follow these guidelines:

. To get an accurate reading, park the vehicle on level ground.

Check the engine oil level after the engine has been off for at least two hours.
Checking the engine oil level on steep grades or too soon after engine shutoff can result in incorrect readings.
Accuracy improves when checking a cold engine prior to starting. Remove the dipstick and check the level.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Doesn't seem to make a difference concerning the different size filters as 10 qts. still bring it to full. I drain mine warm and wait for it to drip while I change the filter then plug it and fill it with 10. Always shows full on stick after leak check.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So resurrecting this thread. Anyone looked into what filters we could use to increase the filtering capacity?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sub'd...i'm interested in hearing if there is a larger oil filter as well

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So just a random question, my 2020 L5P came back from the dealer after its shakedown visit and had a AcDelco PF26 oil filter on it. Im guessing those are the OEM filters? If so how come the Baldwin, Mobil 1, and Wix filters ive seen locally that supposedly match are much smaller in length than the PF26?

·
Registered
264 Posts
So just a random question, my 2020 L5P came back from the dealer after its shakedown visit and had a AcDelco PF26 oil filter on it. Im guessing those are the OEM filters? If so how come the Baldwin, Mobil 1, and Wix filters ive seen locally that supposedly match are much smaller in length than the PF26?
First read your manual it lists that filter. Two the size of the filter is not directly proportionate to the filters ability to filter contaminates out of your oil, old wives tale. I run Amsoil EA filters. You should read the oil filter thread It will Open Your Eyes and you will run from some brands including some you typed above!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
First read your manual it lists that filter. Two the size of the filter is not directly proportionate to the filters ability to filter contaminates out of your oil, old wives tale. I run Amsoil EA filters. You should read the oil filter thread It will Open Your Eyes and you will run from some brands including some you typed above!

Im well aware of the stock filters, was just commenting on why the aftermarket filters are noticeably smaller than the stock PF26 filter. Now Im aware flow rates, filtration efficiency all factor in but I would think having more oil and more filter media would be superior. Even the EA filters from amsoil look to be smaller than stock.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Here is what Im referring to. The stock PF26 filter is bigger than the Baldwin B329 and Wix aka Napa filters. Looks to be around half to 3/4 an inch longer, same size diameter. Judging by your baldwin specs there I would say the stock PF26 is closer to the baldwin BF9894, the BF is a fuel filter from what Im seeing. So next best would be the B281.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I just purchased the Wix XP 57202XP for my truck. I have used Wix filters for over. Decade so far. Although I am very aware there are many great filters out there ..!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I ordered an Amsoil EA011 that I'll run for now since it matches the stock filter specs. The actual cross reference for Baldwin from the AC Delco PF26 is the Baldwin B40122. I want to do more research and find out more details about that particular filter before I buy one and put it into service. The problem I am seeing with the aftermarket filters is the bypass valve PSI specs, the stock PF26 filter is 12PSI, most of the aftermarket filters that are cross referencing are in the 20-40 PSI range. The EA011 is in the correct PSI range, as well as the B40122.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts