Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2020 L5P Oil Filters?

83K views 86 replies 32 participants last post by  MrGraff 
#1 ·
Although I haven't climbed under my truck and looked, I've read on several sources that the 2020 motors have a different filter. On my 2019 I ran the Baldwin oil filters, I'm coming up on 5000 miles so I'm looking for all the fixins to get my oil changed. Guess I'll climb up under and see what all the supposed change is, wonder if the previous Baldwin filters will work.

Im seeing WIX 51372, Mobil 1 M1-210A, and Royal purple 20-820

These are all listed to fit our 2020 diesels on oreilys auto, as well amsoil has the WIX filter listed on their website.

#40 ·
I ordered an Amsoil EA011 that I'll run for now since it matches the stock filter specs. The actual cross reference for Baldwin from the AC Delco PF26 is the Baldwin B40122. I want to do more research and find out more details about that particular filter before I buy one and put it into service. The problem I am seeing with the aftermarket filters is the bypass valve PSI specs, the stock PF26 filter is 12PSI, most of the aftermarket filters that are cross referencing are in the 20-40 PSI range. The EA011 is in the correct PSI range, as well as the B40122.

#42 ·
That's good to hear! During my shakedown service visit the dealer replaced some "oil related" items. Various gaskets, oil cooler assembly, cam shaft seals. I was running a B329 filter at the time and it could have caused some of those issues, when the dealer replaced the oil cooler assembly they replaced the oil filter with a stock PF26. Long story short, alot of the cross referenced filters do not match the stock filter specs.

#48 ·
The problem I ran into with trying Baldwin filters is they do cross reference for size/threading, but they do not meet all of the other specs. I ended up going with the Amsoil filter and haven't looked back.

#51 ·
Although I haven't climbed under my truck and looked, I've read on several sources that the 2020 motors have a different filter. On my 2019 I ran the Baldwin oil filters, I'm coming up on 5000 miles so I'm looking for all the fixins to get my oil changed. Guess I'll climb up under and see what all the supposed change is, wonder if the previous Baldwin filters will work.

Im seeing WIX 51372, Mobil 1 M1-210A, and Royal purple 20-820

These are all listed to fit our 2020 diesels on oreilys auto, as well amsoil has the WIX filter listed on their website.
I’m running the Baldwin B40150 on my 2020 l5p and couldn’t be happier. Especially for a high quality filter for $9.28 at the truck stop.

#52 ·
I would run the Baldwin B40150 filter since Gayle Banks stated the following, he uses it on his Duramax oil cooler upgrade kit: "After testing all available filters, Banks chose the Baldwin B40150 for its superior filtration and oil pressure retention. The new filter meets or exceeds OEM specs, providing 99.8% efficiency at 30 microns, 99.1% at 25 microns, and 94.2% at 20 microns. The spin-on filter features an Anti-Drainback Valve and 25 PSID By-Pass Valve".

When I have time I will be throwing a Banks oil cooler on my truck and using the Baldwin filter. Texas summer heat is a killer and anything that can help is considered...

Yes, yes I know keyboard warriors will be coming out of the woodwork, but Gayle Banks is a Duramax knowledge base and when he endorses a product you bet he tested the hell out of it.

#61 ·
I found that the Baldwin B329 filter didn't match exactly to the OEM filter for my 2020. Although I was running the B329 filter and not the one Banks recommends from baldwin when I had oil related issues. I have had zero issues with anything oil related for around 15,000 miles so far with the Amsoil filter. Its hard to beat the Amsoil oil/filter combo especially if you spend the $20 a year to get wholesale pricing.

#66 ·
So with everyone comparing filters and the info that goes with, has anyone made a list as to ones that work or don't work? If pf26 specs are the standard, who comes the closest ??? Also, the lack of filters on the shelve in stores is strange. I got bum info and got a few filters when buying the truck. I went to put one on today and it didn't fit. I tried to find pf-26, no place but the dealer. I did find that K&N/mobil1 were on some of the shelves of some parts places.

#70 ·
I had the same. It was red, looked like it had sprayed around a bit. I couldn't find a source for the leak, and nothing has reappeared since wiping everything down. I'm guessing it is sprayed on at assembly.

#75 ·
I’m new to this forum, but I feel like I can offer some insight into the filtration conversations since that’s a topic in my wheelhouse. As far as the B40150 goes… it’s designed using a proven filtration media technology that many of you have already been running successfully in other heavy duty Baldwin filters. Is it the “best” filter out there for your L5P, I guess you would have to define best. All of us need to choose what filter we use based off of out trucks duty cycle. If you pull the heck out of your truck, and you want to run extended drain intervals, buy the “high dollar” filter that uses synthetic media. If you never hook to anything, and all you do is commute, you might get away with the cheaper brands out there. Most of us fall in the middle where we use our trucks for heavy pulling and regular driving. Most of us stick with the recommended oil drain intervals. That is what the “OE” filter is designed for. The Baldwin is designed for that same duty but doing it in a more robust way. (Thicker can and baseplate, more pleats using a higher basis weight media, high quality gasket). In the lab, there isn’t a huge difference in filtration performance between the OE and B40150, but when it comes durability on the application, that’s is where the “extra” robustness can be realized.

#76 ·
2020 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. For the past year just had dealerships do oil changes. Don’t come at me for that, I know how to change oil on all our vehicles, personal and farm. Went to change oil and looked in the book for engine oil part number. GM 12684038. ACDelco PF26. Local store didn’t have either so I did a cross reference and got a Mobil 1 M1-210. Dropped the oil and removed the filter. Went to install the new and it didn’t fit. Looked at them both, definitely not the same filter. The one I removed was Mobil 1 M1-212A. Everything I looked up online for 2020 said all crosses for PF26. I looked up what the M1-212A goes on and it said 2019. I ended up having a Microgard MGL57502 that fit. But this is driving me crazy. Every resource for 2020 says one thing but the real filter that came off it says 2019. The manufacture date on the door says 8/2019. I don’t know if that makes a difference. But all the literature in the truck says 2020. Any insight to this?

#77 · (Edited)
2020 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. For the past year just had dealerships do oil changes….. The one I removed was Mobil-1…
you had oil changes done by the dealer and they were using aftermarket filters?? I think I would have a total sh*t fit if I saw that!!! I would have some words with the service manager.

And the only place I have been able to find the PF26 filters was at my local dealer. I ordered some online and what arrived did not appear to be legit AC Delco filters… All the local parts places I use, said the PF26 was impossible to get.

#79 ·
Where are people buying the Baldwin B329 filter now? Only seller I could find on Jeff Bezos world looked pretty sketchy...no local guys around me sell them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.