Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is everyone's take on these models now that the Ford info is out? Yes, they're top dog with towing and power. I'll never tow even close to either vehicles max and they're all to the point on power now that the numbers mean nothing, they're all ridiculously high.

What does make a difference to me is the choice of gear ratios. SRW trucks it's a wash (3.42 vs 3.55 is close enough) but DRW is a major change. 3.42 vs 4.10 (F350) or 4.30 (F450). Plus if you look at the 10 speed ratios the Ford is SLIGHTLY lower in each gear.

Definitely different strategies. Is the power enough for the gearing and Ford is simply going to be running down the road at a constantly higher RPM, or because of the higher gearing is the Chevy/GMC going to be shifting around more often than the Ford? Time will tell!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I can tell you that the new 10 speed with the Duramax is just as smooth and sweet as I could ever imagine. Long term remains to be seen but with about 6k on mine am a happy camper.

·
Registered
507 Posts
So what is everyone's take on these models now that the Ford info is out? Yes, they're top dog with towing and power. I'll never tow even close to either vehicles max and they're all to the point on power now that the numbers mean nothing, they're all ridiculously high.

What does make a difference to me is the choice of gear ratios. SRW trucks it's a wash (3.42 vs 3.55 is close enough) but DRW is a major change. 3.42 vs 4.10 (F350) or 4.30 (F450). Plus if you look at the 10 speed ratios the Ford is SLIGHTLY lower in each gear.

Definitely different strategies. Is the power enough for the gearing and Ford is simply going to be running down the road at a constantly higher RPM, or because of the higher gearing is the Chevy/GMC going to be shifting around more often than the Ford? Time will tell!
Do you have any specs on the transmission Ford is using in the Diesel F350 and F450? I would appreciate a link to such specs.

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a link to the spec sheets that are available right now.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/...towing-numbers-specifications-weight-ect.html

If that link isn't allowed, I apologize and will upload images later.
Thank You for the link which does work.

I have heard rumors this new Ford HD transmission is labeled as a 10R140 and is an upgraded version of the 10 speed that was developed by Ford and GM for the 1/2 ton trucks.
Some have said that. Have also heard the 10 speed HD transmission have nothing to do with the 1/2 tons other than they're both 10 speeds. Also heard on the HD trucks Ford and Chevy went their own ways and they HD 10's are purely their own design and build.

The truth is somewhere in there. I don't care who built what or had input on the design as long as it's a trouble free, strong, long lasting transmission

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think the 2020 GM HD trucks finally caught up in the technology and other areas that were much needed. The biggest items to myself were the following:

Keyless entry and stop/start
Camera system
Blind spot system
Tailgate system
10 speed transmission
l5p updates
bed steps side and back
LED lighting throughout
Infotainment system update
Crew cab size update
rear a/c vents
GVWR updates across the 2500/3500 lines

I think GM forced Ford's hand in some areas, competition is always good for the consumer. One area Ford is definitely ahead in, is pricing... Ford's are very expensive.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the 2020 GM HD trucks finally caught up in the technology and other areas that were much needed. The biggest items to myself were the following:

Camera system
Blind spot system
Tailgate system
10 speed transmission
l5p updates
bed steps side and back
LED lighting throughout
Crew cab size update
rear a/c vents

I think GM forced Ford's hand in some areas, competition is always good for the consumer. One area Ford is definitely ahead in, is pricing... Ford's are very expensive.
Are you going off of what you actually find on dealer lots? Because building them on the respective websites the Ford comes out lower MSRP than a similarly equipped Silverado.

F350 diesel 4x4 Lariat - $71,890

Silverado 3500 diesel 4x4 LTZ - $74,080

Those are 2019 vs 2020 prices, and yes the Ford went up a bit so it might be at the same $74,XXX as the Silverado but Chevy/GMC still isn't significantly cheaper.

Now say I just wanted a truck with the basic power upgrades (windows, locks, cruise) but ABSOLUTELY wanted the camera system that shows me front, side, birds eye, behind, etc.

F350 - $56,740

Silverado - $73,680

There are definite areas where someone might think it's a make or break either way. The only 1 true thing that I think the Silverado takes the win on is the use of the Denso fuel system instead of the Bosch CP4. Everything else is a toss up to me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you ever look at a pulley rpm calculator?
No? I'm not sure where you're going with that. I understand that pulley size changes belt speed, which is why an underdrive can cause charging system issues, but pulleys aren't going to determine what speed your rear end/transmission are forcing your engine to spin at.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Camera system
Blind spot system
Tailgate system
10 speed transmission
l5p updates
bed steps side and back
LED lighting throughout
Crew cab size update
rear a/c vents

don't forget the new DEF filler location and the fact that the tank no longer hangs below the truck. Also, the rear seat is HUGE now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Are you going off of what you actually find on dealer lots? Because building them on the respective websites the Ford comes out lower MSRP than a similarly equipped Silverado.

Those are 2019 vs 2020 prices, and yes the Ford went up a bit so it might be at the same $74,XXX as the Silverado but Chevy/GMC still isn't significantly cheaper.

Now say I just wanted a truck with the basic power upgrades (windows, locks, cruise) but ABSOLUTELY wanted the camera system that shows me front, side, birds eye, behind, etc.

F350 - $56,740

Silverado - $73,680

There are definite areas where someone might think it's a make or break either way. The only 1 true thing that I think the Silverado takes the win on is the use of the Denso fuel system instead of the Bosch CP4. Everything else is a toss up to me.

Gotta compare apples to apples, cant really compare a Lariat to an LTZ due to available options or base options, your best comparisons are King Ranch/Platinum vs High Country/Denali. As it sits, Ford's current 2019 models compared to GM's 2020 models are either more expensive or almost identical, except the 2020 GM has the updated motor/transmission. Now Ford is releasing their 2020 models, which are going up in price even more.

GM's 2020 models raised GVWR across the board, forcing Ford to do the same... and I'd be willing to bet Ram follows suit this next year. GM was first to market with the 10 speed in HD, Ford of course is releasing their 2020 with the 10 speed in their HD.

·
Registered
731 Posts
don't forget the new DEF filler location and the fact that the tank no longer hangs below the truck. Also, the rear seat is HUGE now.
Exactly on the DEF Tank! Would not as many others consider a the one that drug the ground the year prior! That cost GM many many thousands of sales over the years.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Where does it end GM gonna step up in a couple years?

·
Registered
200 Posts
The 4.10 and 4.30 axles don't make a ton of sense for me with the 10sp. If you exclude the F450, the majority of the trailering numbers are within a couple hundred pounds.

#iworkforGM

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

F350 - $56,740

Silverado - $73,680

Gotta compare apples to apples, cant really compare a Lariat to an LTZ due to available options or base options, your best comparisons are King Ranch/Platinum vs High Country/Denali. As it sits, Ford's current 2019 models compared to GM's 2020 models are either more expensive or almost identical, except the 2020 GM has the updated motor/transmission. Now Ford is releasing their 2020 models, which are going up in price even more.

GM's 2020 models raised GVWR across the board, forcing Ford to do the same... and I'd be willing to bet Ram follows suit this next year. GM was first to market with the 10 speed in HD, Ford of course is releasing their 2020 with the 10 speed in their HD.
While I understand your point, I don't see the point in doing what you're saying. I buy a vehicle based on the options I want, not what trim level there is. Trim levels can actually get goofy. With the King Ranch once you option it out MSRP is more than a Platinum with the same options, but a King Ranch is technically a lower trim level. And again this is all MSRP, I know actual paid prices are much lower and varied.

If I want the camera system but don't care about anything else, I get the base XL or the LTZ. With the Ford it used to be if I wanted push button start I had to get a Lariat ultimate, now it's on every 2020 model.

GM is headed in the right direction, but I also think they need to open up the options more on lower trims.

·
Registered
184 Posts
While I understand your point, I don't see the point in doing what you're saying. I buy a vehicle based on the options I want, not what trim level there is. Trim levels can actually get goofy. With the King Ranch once you option it out MSRP is more than a Platinum with the same options, but a King Ranch is technically a lower trim level. And again this is all MSRP, I know actual paid prices are much lower and varied.

If I want the camera system but don't care about anything else, I get the base XL or the LTZ. With the Ford it used to be if I wanted push button start I had to get a Lariat ultimate, now it's on every 2020 model.

GM is headed in the right direction, but I also think they need to open up the options more on lower trims.

Comparing an optioned out Lariat to an LTZ is not an apples to apples comparison. The platinum and king ranch are identical with the same options, the only differences are if you select the Limited package. The only reason I know these things, is because I owned a F350 King Ranch loaded out. Yes you can get the options on any trim level, but there are key differences. Price wise Ford is more expensive... and has been for a while now. Compare a 2019 GM vs 2019 Ford, and its much much worse. My F350 had an MSRP of 80k... and it was a 2017.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Comparing an optioned out Lariat to an LTZ is not an apples to apples comparison. The platinum and king ranch are identical with the same options, the only differences are if you select the Limited package. The only reason I know these things, is because I owned a F350 King Ranch loaded out. Yes you can get the options on any trim level, but there are key differences. Price wise Ford is more expensive... and has been for a while now. Compare a 2019 GM vs 2019 Ford, and its much much worse. My F350 had an MSRP of 80k... and it was a 2017.
I'm not doubting you but explain why comparing a loaded Lariat to a loaded LTZ is not apples to apples? I'm truly asking why that isn't a fair comparison because I just recently started looking at GM trucks so I'm not familiar with what all they come with.

And again, going off MSRP, if I build the trucks to include the options I want, the Platinum is cheaper than the King Ranch. That is due to the 20" wheels being an option on the King Ranch and them forcing the twin panel sun roof to get the massage seats. If I added the sun roof to the Platinum then yes, it would be more, but I don't want the sunroof, therefore cheaper.

I'm not bashing Chevy, I actually like what I see with their trucks quite a bit. In fact Ford eliminating the manual transfer case and keeping the CP4 are what push me towards Chevy.

Before they got the full specs out I was ready to jump on ordering a 20 F350 XLT loaded with the manual transfer case (call me old school but I like having an actual lever with hubs you manually lock in). Now I'm not so interested. If it's all going to be electronic anyway I'd rather go with the IFS of the GM twins. Plus I know the numbers are small compared to the number of actual trucks sold but I still don't like the idea of the CP4. Especially since I'm the kind of person to keep a vehicle until it falls apart. I do wish GM went with lower gear ratios (again old habit, I understand with new technology and the 10 speed you don't need a 4.10 vs a 3.42).

I think currently Silverado/Sierra have the best looks. I REALLY like how the hood scoop makes them look. And I'm actually one of the few oddballs that likes the new chevy grill design. But I have to decide if I want to pay the slight up charge of GMC SLT vs a LTZ to get the high intensity LED headlights. I know I can get them on the High Country but I HATE how painted front bumpers look.

And I know a lot of people say that the GM trucks are lacking in interior quality/design compared to Ram and Ford, but considering I'm currently driving a 95 Ram and my newest vehicle ever was a 2005 base Cavalier, I'm quite happy with the GM interiors!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Both are very nice trucks for sure! I’m in the market for a new personal truck and am going to buy the GMC. I really do think GM needs to bump their power up just for marketing alone as they are way behind the other two on torque. My bet is they do a mid year power bump getting them close to 1000 torque.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not doubting you but explain why comparing a loaded Lariat to a loaded LTZ is not apples to apples? I'm truly asking why that isn't a fair comparison because I just recently started looking at GM trucks so I'm not familiar with what all they come with.

And again, going off MSRP, if I build the trucks to include the options I want, the Platinum is cheaper than the King Ranch. That is due to the 20" wheels being an option on the King Ranch and them forcing the twin panel sun roof to get the massage seats. If I added the sun roof to the Platinum then yes, it would be more, but I don't want the sunroof, therefore cheaper.

I'm not bashing Chevy, I actually like what I see with their trucks quite a bit. In fact Ford eliminating the manual transfer case and keeping the CP4 are what push me towards Chevy.

Before they got the full specs out I was ready to jump on ordering a 20 F350 XLT loaded with the manual transfer case (call me old school but I like having an actual lever with hubs you manually lock in). Now I'm not so interested. If it's all going to be electronic anyway I'd rather go with the IFS of the GM twins. Plus I know the numbers are small compared to the number of actual trucks sold but I still don't like the idea of the CP4. Especially since I'm the kind of person to keep a vehicle until it falls apart. I do wish GM went with lower gear ratios (again old habit, I understand with new technology and the 10 speed you don't need a 4.10 vs a 3.42).

I think currently Silverado/Sierra have the best looks. I REALLY like how the hood scoop makes them look. And I'm actually one of the few oddballs that likes the new chevy grill design. But I have to decide if I want to pay the slight up charge of GMC SLT vs a LTZ to get the high intensity LED headlights. I know I can get them on the High Country but I HATE how painted front bumpers look.

And I know a lot of people say that the GM trucks are lacking in interior quality/design compared to Ram and Ford, but considering I'm currently driving a 95 Ram and my newest vehicle ever was a 2005 base Cavalier, I'm quite happy with the GM interiors!
If I had to guess without going and building on each website, Im 95% sure you cannot get the Lariat with the LED lighting package. I'm pretty sure the interior is different material wise on the seats, dash, doors. The higher end B&O audio system is also something that I'm not sure you can get on the Lariat. For the most part its all cosmetic/technology that is different between the Lariat and KR/Platinum trucks. But like I said, apples to apples is key when comparing MSRPs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.