Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some time yesterday to kill and I saw that a near by dealer had some new 20's on the lot so I thought that I would stop and look at one first hand. They had 4 total on the lot 2 4x4's and 2 4x2, 1 of the 4x4's was a 3500 SRW the other 3 were 2500's. They had one that I thought to be really off the mark, a 2500 2 wheel drive SLT LWB!!! Now I like my lwb truck and when I was shopping I could not find one anywhere, but a 4x2? But I spent about 45 minutes looking the truck over and never once did a salesman appear!!!! Outside of it looking strange not to have the DEF tank on the pass side did look odd, because that's the first place I look to tell if it is a diesel or not, I could not make out the exact location of the tank but it appears to be next to the fuel tank. I have not looked at my truck to compare but the drive shaft in this thing is huge it's between 4-5" in diameter and the axel's appear to be much larger than in the past.
After crawling around on the ground looking under the truck and as stated before no salesman showing up, I thought let's see if this thing is unlocked, and it was so I started checking out the inside, first thing no emergency brake pedal just a button under the steering wheel, I liked the lay out of the dash, the size and shape of the gagues, don't care for the rolling buttons for cruise and audio, the tow mirrors with auto extension was neat how the go out and then back towards the front of the truck to get into a better position. In the back seat not sure what you could store in the seat back compartments but I see why its there now after looking at the under seat storage, my 11 truck it was very big, on my 19 it was down sized by about 1/3 and now on the 20's it is about 1/2 of the 11 truck, I don't think that you could store very much in it now.
Under the hood changing the batteries will be much better now both are easy to get to, but anything else you are going to do under there good luck you need stretch Armstrong arms and tiny baby hands. something that just came to my mind is that the inner and out fenders have a gap between them not sealed up as on all my other trucks, as the old drag racing slogan goes to loose a pound look for 16 places to save an ounce.
Sorry this is so long but I had not seen anything like this before.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Parking brakes are electric now.... will auto set when a trailer is connected.. I had a 2019 1500 w it briefly... the parking brake would set on it own when closing the back door... not suppose to do that... trucks are a big cell phone now needing regular updates

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Good write up. I test drove an crew cab LTZ several weeks ago. It was really my first test drive of a new Duramax truck since I bought the one I'm currently driving back in 2002. I have VERY deliberately stayed away from the car lots for the past 17 years LOL.

Anyway, I did not spend time looking at stuff under the truck and hood but did drive it. Cab size is soooo much nicer than my old 2002. The room in the back seat is HUGE and that's probably the biggest reason I didn't buy a '19 model. The truck drove awesome and all the gizmos that my truck doesn't have were great too. Especially liked the vented seats. It was 95F on the lot that day and even with the A/C going good, my back was still sweating until the salesman turned on the A/C in my seat. Instant relief!

I believe the DEF tank is now located in front of the fuel tank, under the rear seat.

Makes sense that the driveshaft would be large considering no more torque limiting.

For the first time, in recent memory, the SRW 3500s come with a larger differential than the 2500s. The 2500s come with a 10.5" ring gear and 11" for the 3500s. Not sure if the axle sizes are different though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not sure what you're talking about. 19s wheelbase was stretched 4 inches to create a larger back seat, and the difference is significant.

Good write up. I test drove an crew cab LTZ several weeks ago. It was really my first test drive of a new Duramax truck since I bought the one I'm currently driving back in 2002. I have VERY deliberately stayed away from the car lots for the past 17 years LOL.

Anyway, I did not spend time looking at stuff under the truck and hood but did drive it. Cab size is soooo much nicer than my old 2002. The room in the back seat is HUGE and that's probably the biggest reason I didn't buy a '19 model. The truck drove awesome and all the gizmos that my truck doesn't have were great too. Especially liked the vented seats. It was 95F on the lot that day and even with the A/C going good, my back was still sweating until the salesman turned on the A/C in my seat. Instant relief!

I believe the DEF tank is now located in front of the fuel tank, under the rear seat.

Makes sense that the driveshaft would be large considering no more torque limiting.

For the first time, in recent memory, the SRW 3500s come with a larger differential than the 2500s. The 2500s come with a 10.5" ring gear and 11" for the 3500s. Not sure if the axle sizes are different though.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Not sure what you're talking about. 19s wheelbase was stretched 4 inches to create a larger back seat, and the difference is significant.
1500 yes, not on the HD's

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Bought a '19 CC 3500 SRW for my office back in Feb. While the back seat room in it is muuuch nicer than my 2002, it's not as big as the '20 (HD).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.