Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2020 Or By VIN DEF Tank Readout Errors Fix UPDATE 10-3*19

Just got a call Bulletin N192266750 out today issued to fix the DEF readout errors! Yeah:grin2::smile2: - going in tomorrow early to get this done. The strike is making it easier to do work like this because of the parts shortage....

UPDATE 9-3-19 So far so good flash seems to have worked. Interesting that yesterday they had a truck from the State Fair of Texas in for this flash as well. Have my finger crossed!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
My gauge varies quite a bit. Stays at full for a 1k+ and then goes to 1/2, stays there for 1k+ miles, drops to almost empty and then shoots back to nearly 1/2 a few days later. Not sure what type of sensors it uses but it isnt consistant at all.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My gauge varies quite a bit. Stays at full for a 1k+ and then goes to 1/2, stays there for 1k+ miles, drops to almost empty and then shoots back to nearly 1/2 a few days later. Not sure what type of sensors it uses but it isnt consistant at all.
Yes mine does the same thing even gives the warning. I hope this fixes it! This is attempt number 2 out of 3. I have provided all of the notifications to GM certified registered USPS have gotten a call from GM acknowledging receipt. Really do not want to have to switch vehicles with because of my additions but I cannot have this truck leave me in the middle of nowhere in limp mode thinking there is no DEF when it is almost full!

So far today it is reading constant. Maybe it is fixed! :) :) :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
10-7-19 Update 2020 DEF Tank Readout Fix GM Update Did Not Work

Well bad news on the GM software fix. Does not work. GM is aware and the Dealer is sending in the required report to indicated the Software patch did not work. My next repair attempt is number 3. Imagine it will be a while before I am asked to bring it in being that the specific software fix developed for this did nothing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sad how such a simple thing can be made to be so complex. Almost like engineers engineering themselves future work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
75 Posts
I recieved the 1k reminder over the weekend, gauge showed 2 bars left. This morning (200 miles later max) it started a countdown from 112 miles, gauge shows empty. This is about 4800 miles from last DEF fill up.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recieved the 1k reminder over the weekend, gauge showed 2 bars left. This morning (200 miles later max) it started a countdown from 112 miles, gauge shows empty. This is about 4800 miles from last DEF fill up.
This is pretty crazy. Mine in 350 miles has gone from Full after I filled it to one bar over half, back to full, then back to half now this am one bar off of full. GM does not know what the fix is. Might buy some DEF and keep it with you but by all means take it in and document this.

·
Vendor
10,987 Posts
This is pretty crazy. Mine in 350 miles has gone from Full after I filled it to one bar over half, back to full, then back to half now this am one bar off of full. GM does not know what the fix is. Might buy some DEF and keep it with you but by all means take it in and document this.
Yeah I have heard of some guys having issues with the DEF indicator and that GM is trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
DEF Gauge

Mine hasn't budged from 3/4 full in 500 miles. 'dunno; I'm taking it to the dealer today for Simonizing and because they owe me floor liners, I'll see what they have to say.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Mine hasn't budged from 3/4 full in 500 miles. 'dunno; I'm taking it to the dealer today for Simonizing and because they owe me floor liners, I'll see what they have to say.
It was full when it left the factory. There is a software flash out but it did not fix mine. GM is aware that the fix did not work. Just be safe and carry DEF with you. They bounce around all over the place mine was full this am and yesterday it was just over half full.

The only thing they will do at this point is the flash to the ECM but other than that nothing right now. Maybe it will fix yours. Problem is it takes miles and time to even see if the fix works. When mine was flashed it worked fine for almost 500 miles and a week.

Look at the miles on the pics you can see what it does.

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update---GM after the 2nd attempt at a repair (software fix) failed a month ago has not been taking any further action. Late last week the latest fix from GM engineering was to put in a new DEF sending unit. This sending unit resides in the DEF tank and not sold as a discrete part only in the DEF tank assembly so one has been ordered. Hope this will fix it.

Maybe this will help others with trucks in this same condition.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the DEF level "fix" done in Sept. They filled it and did an oil change, the level dropped 3 bars within the first 200 miles, yesterday monring (first sub 32 deg night) the gauge is back to 100%.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts