Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2013 Silverado 3500HD. The original OEM tires (Michelin LTX M/S2) have been great. I'm on my second set (114k on the odometer), and they still have tread, but we're full-time RV'ers and tow a very heavy 5th wheel. I'm ultra cautious about replacing tires before they have issues. The LTX's aren't made anymore, and the replacement tires I've heard about (Defenders) aren't made now, either. Does anyone know what the standard OEM tire on a new Silverado 3500HD is these days? All the Chevy website will say is "all-season highway". I believe the Michelin Agilis replaced the Defender/LTX. Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You can only get Michelin A/T2 lt275/70r18 and Goodyear Wrangler LT275/65r20. Michelin is base tire.

#iworkforGM

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was fortunate that Belle Tire located a set of Michelin Defender LTX m/s tires for my Denali.
I needed something with a heavier load rating (I also tow a heavy 5th wheel) than the factory GoodYear Wranglers and the Defenders added about 1400#
I did have to go to a larger 285/60R20 to do this, but so far I like them much better than the GYs. The ride is far better.
Your 3500HD probably has 18" wheels - have your tire dealer try to locate some Defenders - I think they are still out there.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
@powerhaulic Truck looks great. Have you towed with the Defenders yet? I was considering trying them out. Thanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've tried all the highly acclaimed tires including Michelin and never found anything that will outperform Bridgestone for the money. And I tow heavy all the time. If I'm not towing heavy, I'm driving my LeSabre that gets 28mpg.

The R500HD tire has a tough shoulder that stands up to front end abuse very well and their treadwear simply can't be beat. I have 133k miles on my rears on a dually and they will easily make 200k with the remaining tread as they're barely under half tread right now.

I just ran this set 100k before I replaced the steers, moving the existing steers to the rear. The old steer tires still had over half tread at 100k miles. That's pretty amazing on the front end of a Duramax.

And they're cheaper than Michelins. Win/win.

·
Registered
450 Posts
@powerhaulic Truck looks great. Have you towed with the Defenders yet? I was considering trying them out. Thanks.
Thanks
Yes, had them on my last 3 truck's
Wear is great, quiet, very stable.
Not cheap, but great tire

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks
Yes, had them on my last 3 truck's
Wear is great, quiet, very stable.
Not cheap, but great tire
Holy crap I love that look! Maybe my favorite color combo so far on the new ones. I'm usually not a fan of the colored accents on wheels but yours looks amazing. Is that actually paint matched or just a generic red?

Also is that black and chrome combo on the grille factory? I thought AT4s were all black

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts