Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well another issue to go with the bad DEF sensor (GM advised this am it is now in engineering redesign) have an intermediate shaft in the steering going to the steering box that has a lot of play. Part ordered but nothing showing available in the GM system. Got to love GM and new models when they have no spares in the supply chain.

So if you have a 2020 and notice what feels like a click when sitting still or off road is where you really feel the play go ahead and take it in so the part can be ordered. Mine is just getting worse and worse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2020 2500 AT4 (11K miles) has had the steering play for quite a while. Local dealer replaced the firewall bushing..?? no change (no surprise).... then said it must be the steering box, so they replaced that... no change or slightly worse... really noticeable on a dirt road. Dealer says they are waiting to hear back from manufacturer for further action.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you get this issue fixed! my 2020 has same issue?

My 2020 2500 AT4 (11K miles) has had the steering play for quite a while. Local dealer replaced the firewall bushing..?? no change (no surprise).... then said it must be the steering box, so they replaced that... no change or slightly worse... really noticeable on a dirt road. Dealer says they are waiting to hear back from manufacturer for further action.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same problem here on a 1 month old AT4. off road the wheel bounces back and forth like crazy, and makes a clunk each time it bounces. Dealer ordered some kind of boot, but I find that highly unlikely. Do you happen to have the part number that was replaced?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It was in the linkage from the wheel to the steering box. Do not remember the part name. Happened after only a few trips to the ranch in NM. If you need it I can call my SA at the Dealer to look it up for me.

It was an : "Intermediate Steering Shaft"

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was in the linkage from the wheel to the steering box. Do not remember the part name. Happened after only a few trips to the ranch in NM. If you need it I can call my SA at the Dealer to look it up for me.

It was an : "Intermediate Steering Shaft"
thank you very much! mine clicks and at a high speed it rattles, drives me nuts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you guys have a part # or TSB for this? I am having the same issue and want to be informed before I take it to the dealer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
778 Posts
This problem is so weird to me. My 2001 Silverado and Suburban had this exact same issue back then. Same thing. Body change/ new model Intermediate steering shaft tolerance was bad. No parts too new. It wasnt a recall but a TSB. Wouldnt it be something to pay attention to and correct it. Or juuuust over look it or customers expect it.....

Ill keep my LB7 for now. Good luck guys.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took mine in, intermediate steering shaft was bad 2021 3500 DRW. So window didn’t work and bad steering shaft not even 3k miles on the truck. Nice to see GM quality in action
Well crap----you would have thought GM would have fixed that problem. Guess not! Mine was a early 2020 and had the issue.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Same issue with mine from day one. I waited until the truck had 24K miles before I took it in yesterday and they replaced it same day under PIT5809. Feels a little better on smooth roads but when it was really bad was off road on rocky sections. I'll have to try that this weekend.

·
Registered
DRW HC THUMPER
77 Posts
Yea I’d say the intermediate steering shaft replacement fixed the issue. I walked into there and said the intermediate steering shaft needs replaced. The tech said well we can certainly look into that for you. 6 hours later I receive a call stating that it was in fact the shaft that needed replacing. So thanks to this forum I got my truck back haha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took mine in, intermediate steering shaft was bad 2021 3500 DRW. So window didn’t work and bad steering shaft not even 3k miles on the truck. Nice to see GM quality in action
How has it been work out for you. I have a 2021 2500 Denali. And to be honest the steering feels very lose. 1200 miles on it. And on a choppy road it feels like the wheels chatter back and forth. Is that normal. Feels almost like lose tierods?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2020 2500 Denali Duramax, exact same issue stated by the OP - I had to have my "Intermediate Steering Shaft" replaced due to a lot of play in the steering and a lot of vibration especially on bumpy roads. I had this looked at whilst they replaced my DEF tank failure issue. It definitely got worse over time, so far I've put on 11k miles.

Should I be surprised to see the same issues popping up for other people? :unsure:

Either way, they replaced that and now the steering feels much better! Happy to have my truck back :p

1 - 20 of 108 Posts