Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Just got mine replaced today. My son is currently driving the truck and says that it steers much better. Click is gone.

Reactions: AN0MALY

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Think mine has the same problem with the steering shaft. Brand new AT4 with 300 miles. Handles fine on pavement but is really bad on bumpy gravel/dirt roads. Going to take it in and see what they say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Think mine has the same problem with the steering shaft. Brand new AT4 with 300 miles. Handles fine on pavement but is really bad on bumpy gravel/dirt roads. Going to take it in and see what they say.
The sooner you get it in the better, you'll never know how long you'll have to wait for the part. At least you can let them look at it and continue to drive until it comes in.

·
Registered
449 Posts
What is the symptoms of a bad intermediate shaft? I was driving on a pretty rutted dirt road and it felt like there was some play as I went over them. I have perfect road manners on my truck. My ‘15 was lifted and had a steering stabilizer so I don’t remember ever it feeling like that. I don’t “think” I have an issue, but I’d like to make sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you feel slack/play shifting the steering wheel from left to right, I also felt a slight knocking sensation when I was driving on roads with bumps, it shouldn't have any play really. Hope that helps?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
What is the symptoms of a bad intermediate shaft? I was driving on a pretty rutted dirt road and it felt like there was some play as I went over them. I have perfect road manners on my truck. My ‘15 was lifted and had a steering stabilizer so I don’t remember ever it feeling like that. I don’t “think” I have an issue, but I’d like to make sure.
You’ll feel play in the steering wheel on bumps but mostly on uneven dirt/gravel roads. You can also hear it. My truck has had the issue from day one. I replaced the stock Goodyear’s and it got worse. I now have a vibration at highway speeds. Appointment is set for a couple weeks from now to get it replaced and I’ll report back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[purchase cognito idler support kit and supersteer, only true fix. After going to the dealership three times for the same issue I finally figured out myself and got this mit-game changer. Steering is now heavy and holds a straight line

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Dropped mine off yesterday and picked it up today. New intermediate steering shaft to address the clunky steering and they balanced the tires to fix the highway vibration. So far so good. Hopefully this won’t be a reoccurring issue.

·
Registered
DRW HC THUMPER
77 Posts
I’ve had my intermediate steering shaft replaced twice now once with the old model and once with the new model and it’s messed up again. (21 Silverado DRW) pretty ridiculous how it feels like mush when I’m driving and it’s all over the place. I might try other options now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My truck is a 2020, has the same issue... its due for another service visit. Will make service visit #7 for this truck. Sometimes I wonder why I keep it around, but then I remember it hasn't stranded me... yet.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I’ve had my intermediate steering shaft replaced twice now once with the old model and once with the new model and it’s messed up again. (21 Silverado DRW) pretty ridiculous how it feels like mush when I’m driving and it’s all over the place. I might try other options now.
What other options are you looking at?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2021 2500hd the alignment felt off and the wheel has to be held to the right to drive straight , brought to dealership alignment was off but after fixed same issue... then let them have trucks for 3 days and still have the wheel feels off especially at high speeds in the fast lane... I thought it was due to crown of the road but when I'm crowned the opposite side I don't have to have the steering wheel leaned over as I do... anyone have this issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali
68 Posts
I have a 2021 2500hd the alignment felt off and the wheel has to be held to the right to drive straight , brought to dealership alignment was off but after fixed same issue... then let them have trucks for 3 days and still have the wheel feels off especially at high speeds in the fast lane... I thought it was due to crown of the road but when I'm crowned the opposite side I don't have to have the steering wheel leaned over as I do... anyone have this issue?
it's the alignment. mine is off to the left. toe needs to be adjusted. alignment shop needs to readjust. they did once, is better, but i need to go back. could also be caster
also, what tires? some tires have a radial pull to one side

·
Registered
2021 Denali HD
234 Posts
I’m hoping a steering stabilizer will do the trick. After I take it back in. Also considering getting rid of the truck. Kind of ridiculous how it has this problem repeatedly even with the “new part”
I put a steering stab on mine, I wasn’t expecting much, but I have to admit, it made a huge difference in the way the steering feels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
it's the alignment. mine is off to the left. toe needs to be adjusted. alignment shop needs to readjust. they did once, is better, but i need to go back. could also be caster
also, what tires? some tires have a radial pull to one side
I have 20 inch tires the dealer had 2 days monkeying with alignment says its all in the green

21 - 40 of 114 Posts