Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had my truck in and out of the dealership at least 10 times since I bought it new off the lot and all they keep doing is replacing the tires and rims and they even did a Picoscope. Here are my symptoms please let me know if they match what you all had.
On a smooth paved road it does drift a little especially at highway speed, but when you hit the areas that have the cracks in the road I feel everything in the steering wheel and it takes effort to stay straight, I also feel a clunk in the steering wheel when hitting the rough cracks in the road it almost feels like there are no shocks on the front, and the picture and description that AntonioV posted is also my truck.

Is this the intermediate steering shaft???

I had a 2001 Chevy with the shaft issue I can't believe it is here again.
Hello,
I have 2021 Duramax Denali, bought it brand new and it had the same issues that you have. Took it to the dealer and said something is transferring up to the steering wheel because it was clunking in the steering wheel when I turn over bumps. Replaced Iss and absolutely no difference. Took it back and they refuse to do anything saying GM will not allow anymore repairs. Tried the new updated Iss with the paint mark and no change. The truck has had four Iss now with no change. I’m beyond frustrated because there’s no help from any dealership with diagnosing the problem. So I’m stuck driving a truck with only 980 mikes on it but drives like it has 300,00 on it. Keep me posted if you have any luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
I have 2021 Duramax Denali, bought it brand new and it had the same issues that you have. Took it to the dealer and said something is transferring up to the steering wheel because it was clunking in the steering wheel when I turn over bumps. Replaced Iss and absolutely no difference. Took it back and they refuse to do anything saying GM will not allow anymore repairs. Tried the new updated Iss with the paint mark and no change. The truck has had four Iss now with no change. I’m beyond frustrated because there’s no help from any dealership with diagnosing the problem. So I’m stuck driving a truck with only 980 mikes on it but drives like it has 300,00 on it. Keep me posted if you have any luck.
I know you shouldn’t have to but the cognito PISK or the suspension maxi steering stabilizer might correct your issue. I believe I have the same issue, it feels like the wheel is too light at highway speeds but to sensitive at the same time. I think I’m gonna start with the steering stabilizer then move to the pisk if it doesn’t help. It sucks because it’s such a fantastic truck beside the shitty steering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2021 2500hd the alignment felt off and the wheel has to be held to the right to drive straight , brought to dealership alignment was off but after fixed same issue... then let them have trucks for 3 days and still have the wheel feels off especially at high speeds in the fast lane... I thought it was due to crown of the road but when I'm crowned the opposite side I don't have to have the steering wheel leaned over as I do... anyone have this issue?
My 2020 HC had the same issue with alignment and slack out the gate. First 2 alignments didn't fix it (alignment sheet said they were aligning for 2019 model). 2 more alignments at dealer, alignment and slack fixed. Steering wheel still feels like there is a rattle/vibration especially while turning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Targeted for 2022 launch and available for service around that time.
Anyone know if this new shaft is available? My truck was built mid May and developed the clunk at 2k miles. Assuming mine has the original updated shaft but no sense in replacing with that one since it's already a problem. Might as well wait until this new one is available to take it in.

·
Registered
2021 Denali HD
213 Posts
Anyone know if this new shaft is available? My truck was built mid May and developed the clunk at 2k miles. Assuming mine has the original updated shaft but no sense in replacing with that one since it's already a problem. Might as well wait until this new one is available to take it in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,
The new intermediate shaft is out under a different part number. Its now 85123355. I still have the clunk/ rattle in my steering wheel. I did not install the new version with the different part number. I’m hoping within the next week or so I’ll have time. Once I do I will add an update on if it corrected my issue or not. If anybody else tried the new version with the different part number please let me know how it worked for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,
The new intermediate shaft is out under a different part number. Its now 85123355. I still have the clunk/ rattle in my steering wheel. I did not install the new version with the different part number. I’m hoping within the next week or so I’ll have time. Once I do I will add an update on if it corrected my issue or not. If anybody else tried the new version with the different part number please let me know how it worked for you.
I had mine replaced last week and it's got the new part number and so far so good, but like I said it's only been a week.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali
67 Posts
my truck got the new shaft. I literally drove it 2 miles before it went back for a differential leak. haven't driven it since, but those 2 miles it seemed better

·
Registered
121 Posts
Is this forma click or clunk coming from the steering wheel?
I get a clunk when moving the wheel back and forth while sitting still... Sounds like its coming from behind the steering wheel

·
Registered
2021 Denali HD
213 Posts
Is this forma click or clunk coming from the steering wheel?
I get a clunk when moving the wheel back and forth while sitting still... Sounds like its coming from behind the steering wheel
The new intermediate shaft is supposed to fix that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m hoping a steering stabilizer will do the trick. After I take it back in. Also considering getting rid of the truck. Kind of ridiculous how it has this problem repeatedly even with the “new part”
Did you end up getting rid of it mines been replaced 5 times now GM whiling to trade or buy back ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Did you end up getting rid of it mines been replaced 5 times now GM whiling to trade or buy back ?
Pretty sure Impulsive got rid of his truck a few weeks back.

I had the issue on my 2020 2500 AT4HD. My 2021 is so far ok, but I only have about 2500 miles on it.

I have the Suspension Maxx Steering Stabilizer and I'm surprised how well it helped to soak up some of the (IMHO) negative feedback you'd feel in the steering wheel - things like bumps, road joints, harsh transitions, etc seem to be dampened quite a bit.

I keep meaning to research the Cognito PISK, but I haven't had time lately to do so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pretty sure Impulsive got rid of his truck a few weeks back.

I had the issue on my 2020 2500 AT4HD. My 2021 is so far ok, but I only have about 2500 miles on it.

I have the Suspension Maxx Steering Stabilizer and I'm surprised how well it helped to soak up some of the (IMHO) negative feedback you'd feel in the steering wheel - things like bumps, road joints, harsh transitions, etc seem to be dampened quite a bit.

I keep meaning to research the Cognito PISK, but I haven't had time lately to do so.
I have the Cognito PISK and the suspension maxx steering dampener on my 21 Denali along with the Kryptonite pitman arm and death grip idler arm support. It's definitely a noticeably improvement. I finally got around to putting in the updated intermediate steering shaft to eliminate the rattle/clunk I feel in the steering wheel, however it did not fix the problem. The rattle/clunk is still there with no improvement. I'm at a loss right now, Has anybody had a rattle/ clunk in the steering wheel without it being a bad intermediate steering shaft? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I still have the truck with all of 2,200 miles on it. . I definitely will not buy another one at this point. If this can’t be corrected I’m going to get rid of it. My friend bought a 2022 At4 and it has the same issue. It also has the old steering shaft in it.

·
Registered
2021 Denali HD
213 Posts
I have the Cognito PISK and the suspension maxx steering dampener on my 21 Denali along with the Kryptonite pitman arm and death grip idler arm support. It's definitely a noticeably improvement. I finally got around to putting in the updated intermediate steering shaft to eliminate the rattle/clunk I feel in the steering wheel, however it did not fix the problem. The rattle/clunk is still there with no improvement. I'm at a loss right now, Has anybody had a rattle/ clunk in the steering wheel without it being a bad intermediate steering shaft? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I just replaced the intermediate steering shaft, with the “updated” one, and the clunk is still there, and I almost want to say worse. Dealer replaced lower steering shaft a couple months ago.

I feel as though it’s either in the column, or maybe the steering gear itself. It is definitely annoying, and I truly do not believe it’s in the steering (pitman arm and such), but more somewhere between the box and the steering wheel.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Could you guys explain the speeds you are traveling and is it a noise or feel in steering wheel?

If you start your truck and quickly turn the wheel back and forth quickly on asphalt and don't here a clunking sound, then your upper ishaft is probably fine.

If the noises are at slow speeds, then it could hydraulic noises.

#iworkforGM

·
Registered
2021 Denali HD
213 Posts
I hear a clunk rattle at all speeds when hitting bumps, cracks or on a dirt road. Also you can damn near feel it or a pop when the truck shifts. Almost like every time there’s a little body/frame twist motion, i can feel it in the steering wheel.

Feels like crazy play in the column or somewhere in the shaft. If I grab the shaft from under the hood, it makes a clunk clicking noise while turning back and forth by hand.

@Mtu Alum Thanks for taking interest, and any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just replaced the intermediate steering shaft, with the “updated” one, and the clunk is still there, and I almost want to say worse. Dealer replaced lower steering shaft a couple months ago.

I feel as though it’s either in the column, or maybe the steering gear itself. It is definitely annoying, and I truly do not believe it’s in the steering (pitman arm and such), but more somewhere between the box and the steering wheel.
Thank you for the information. I feel the same, it does feel like something is clunking in the column. Especially when I hit a larger bump, you can hear it somewhere at the lower end of the column.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts