Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali
68 Posts
I checked mine that has the new part number and it does not have a paint mark. Is the paint mark an indicator that it is the most recent product?
the paint mark was on the previous updated shaft that did not have the new part number. since then, there have been 2 new part numbers, Mtu Alum posted the most current one. yours is the newest

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you. When I installed the newest one it didn’t change or eliminate the rattle. I’m at a loss with this truck.
I know it seemed far fetched for me but, disconnect you front shocks and see, or drive over cobblestone while a helper has his hand on the shock. the LAST thing i thought it could be was the shock and it was exactly that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My truck is a 20 denli HD . This has a steering click and when turning over bumps it sounds like something is coming apart. I have 10K on it and its a year and half old . I guess i will have to make a appointment with dealer..

Good info here
I had the same issue on a 2021 3500 High Country. Specifically, when turning right at low speeds, i would get a loud "clunk" like something was about to fall off and I was getting some feedback in the steering wheel that just felt wrong. I found the issues on my truck while installing a Ranch Hand Legend bumper. To install the bumper, I removed the fender well felt liners and had easy access to inspect the steering and I found two issues. 1) The intercooler pipe on the drivers side of the motor is free to move and "clank" against the motor (don't remember for sure; but, i believe it was hitting the block. Since the cold air intake is, well, cold, I just used a zip tie to stop it from hitting the block. I did not secure it in place, i just limited its travel. 2) The steering hydraulic line couplers were also free to hit the steering shaft. So, i used a bit of black tape to limit their travel as well. These two fixes worked. But, i still have the "clicking" when turning the steering wheel slowly, either left or right. I have owned a few new Chevy's and have had this issue before and there is a quite a lot of discussion regarding the intermediate shaft issues. On one of my previous trucks, the dealer installed a dampener and on the other, they said there was no fix. Since it was more of a nuisance, I just lived with it. I will have the dealer check out the "click" issue and since it seems that fixes are available, we will just see what the dealer does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
85126059 is latest part number for upper ishaft. See image. Easiest way to tell difference is no paint on shaft that connects to column. View attachment 1093054
So I have a few questions about this part:
1) Does this new design have the same style of plastic keeper inside of it? Or is it more robust and metal much like the Borgeson steering shafts? Basically why is this one actually any good when the last two were garbage?
2) And out of curiosity what is the size and the number of splines that goes to the steering column?

·
Registered
219 Posts
So I have a few questions about this part:
1) Does this new design have the same style of plastic keeper inside of it? Or is it more robust and metal much like the Borgeson steering shafts? Basically why is this one actually any good when the last two were garbage?
2) And out of curiosity what is the size and the number of splines that goes to the steering column?
The first two parts were were same design but the second had a material change of the 16 tooth spline. We knew this material change wouldn't fix all trucks but, it was best we could do with current design. The final design has a 42 tooth spline.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The first two parts were were same design but the second had a material change of the 16 tooth spline. We knew this material change wouldn't fix all trucks but, it was best we could do with current design. The final design has a 42 tooth spline.
So yeah it now has only 38% of the force per spline then before. It is more robust than the original for sure simply due to that. Still not nearly as robust as a double D shaft (like what connects to the lower steering shaft).

Although you didn't answer my 2nd question about the amount of splines where it connects to the steering column where I circled.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Auto part Gas

101 - 114 of 114 Posts