Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2 month old 2021 3500HD diesel, 2,700 miles. High Country, Z71 package, camper package, snow plow package (and all the other non-powertrain packages). I have a loud squeak coming from the left rear of the truck when driven over bumpy streets. If I drive over a speed bump with both rear tires on the bump at the same time it doesn’t happen, if I angle the truck to the right and let the left tire go over first the left will squeak every time. Any thoughts on this? Dealer re-torqued the U-Bolts per a TSB with no positive results, I was skeptical when they thought it would correct this.
Also, today I had around 1,500 lbs. on and noticed while I was unloading and kneeling on the tailgate that the rear leaf springs have a groan noise coming from one or both. Maybe bushings or shocks? I have a 2006 2500HD Duramax crew cab that I bought new, has 220,000 on it now, I am familiar with the rear spring squeaks that can occur when the trucks age but this noise is different and not expected on a new truck.
Replacement intermediate steering shaft on order as well. This is strictly an on-road truck.
Recently I backed the truck out of a driveway onto a street, as soon as the wheels were straight the engine died. Started right up but..... Only did it that one time was not low on fuel.
I’m happy with the truck overall but even with low miles we seem to be headed towards more time in the shop.
Thank you for any thoughts you have on these issues!

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Based on the symptoms that you have described, I would look toward the left rear shock?

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Try wetting your rear springs well with water and drive it to see if the noise goes away. Inhave this noise often on the 4500 and actually spray them with a product called Woolwax. Makes the leaves move easier.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. 3 days after my original post both rear leaf springs are squeaking loudly. Nothing has changed on how I use the truck and haven't hauled anything really heavy in the bed. For sure the truck didn't make this noise until this week. I've owned this $80K truck for 57 days..............

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Where do you live? Im curious if maybe the ambient air temps are effecting your bushings. I would personally try to lube them up - maybe blast WD40 between every leaf pack as best you can and then again on the bushings. Soak it up and see if it helps at all

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, with respect to the creaking noise from the rear springs it seems that a TSB was issued on Aug. 5 pertaining to this. Title is "Squeak, Grind or Clunking Noise from Rear Leaf Springs"
Our truck was built on May 19 and this TSB was out on Aug. 5 so I'm not the only owner with this issue. They aren't going to replace the spring pack but authorize new spring pads. Good thought but the pads are on back order.
The steering shaft replacement went well.
My original concern about the "chirp-squeak" from the left rear is as bad as ever. I can hear it over the creaking noise of the springs.
I will keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
TechLink just posted the info on the new spring pads for the '15 to '21 trucks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts