Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2019 3500HD 4x4 Cclb, Banks Intake, AG Diesel Module
796 Posts
GM hasn't figured out the cause of this issue yet. It is affecting a good many trucks.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Second time it’s happened
This noise is directly after hitting the remote start
2866 miles
very disappointed
Well at least it's under warranty. But No guarantees of a fix yet so be ready for that and go easy on the service advisors, they can't help you fix what GM doesn't know how to.

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
2866 miles
Taking it in next week , very disappointed
What did they do the last time, if anything?

There were a lot of 'cannot duplicate' reports with early posters of this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2021 sierra with the duramax engine, currently has 1900 miles on it. I have had the extended crank twice. After the first I took to the dealer and they updated the ECU firmware and now it has just happened again. Not sure what to do, doesnt look like their is a fix

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
I have a 2021 sierra with the duramax engine, currently has 1900 miles on it. I have had the extended crank twice. After the first I took to the dealer and they updated the ECU firmware and now it has just happened again. Not sure what to do, doesnt look like their is a fix
What to do is take it back so they know that step 1 was not a solution for your engine.

My '21 is a little over 9000 miles. It's never missed a start.
(fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc that my statement doesn't curse this one...)

·
Registered
19 Posts
2866 miles
Taking it in next week , very disappointed
I had the same symptom, turned out to be a camshaft position sensor reluctor that was bent. The vehicle has been in the shop for over 35 days. Required an initial borescope to confirm the problem followed by engine transmission separation.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has the problem come back since you had the reluctor wheel replaced?
The truck is still in the shop. I am hoping to have it back this week I was told by the mechanic there is a second potential problem relating to the fuel pump with has the same symptoms. He also stated he had spoken with GM engineers and there were potentially 18,000 of these defective bent reluctors out there. I would suggest you take it in and let them diagnose the problem. They should have the TSB on the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It will, that’s not the fix. There have been 3 owners that had that their trucks ripped apart for that bulletin, all had a crank no start within 7 days of getting it back. It’s not the fix and as of now GM doesn’t know what the hell to do.
Agree, I have a 2021 that has done it once at 4600 miles. I have yet to check/torque the fuse box.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I assume GM is still building and releasing trucks with this issue if they do not know of the fix..
i would assume so because there is a new post it seems like every day on the 3.0 Facebook pages of people experiencing this on trucks with like 300 miles on them, hell I saw one the other day that had 60 miles on it and day 2 of ownership and it did it, and we all know there are no extra GM’s sitting on lots with a 3.0 Duramax, they sell even before they hit dealer lots or within a day of the trucks arrivping. It just blows my mind that they can’t figure out what’s changed between the 2020’s and 2021’s that’s causing it. Some suspect it’s the post COVID quality of the chips in the ECU’s being inefficient enough to run all systems effectively. It makes me feel better that having the truck torn apart for the reluctor wheel bulletin is not the fix, as I was not going to let them do that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It will, that’s not the fix. There have been 3 owners that had that their trucks ripped apart for that bulletin, all had a crank no start within 7 days of getting it back. It’s not the fix and as of now GM doesn’t know what the hell to do.
My 2021 sierra 1500 AT4 with the DURAMAX has done the extended crank with no start about 8-10 times now and i have just a little over 8k miles on it. They did the SB on it to see if it had the bent sensor wheel on it, but it did not. My question is, is this happening on DURAMAX's only or Gas engines also??

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
My 2021 sierra 1500 AT4 with the DURAMAX has done the extended crank with no start about 8-10 times now and i have just a little over 8k miles on it. They did the SB on it to see if it had the bent sensor wheel on it, but it did not. My question is, is this happening on DURAMAX's only or Gas engines also??
A couple weeks ago there was an ecm update released for the issue.
There are more active threads than this one that are talking about it.

Time to take yours back in.

This as a LM2 only issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts