Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

341 - 360 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
21 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali 6.6L Duramax CC SB "on order"
32 Posts
I thought about going 3500HD but I don't need all that towing capacity at this time. Couldn't think of any other reason to go with it over the 2500DH

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
I thought about going 3500HD but I don't need all that towing capacity at this time. Couldn't think of any other reason to go with it over the 2500DH
Same exact thing I said in 2019.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Throughout all this process, I've learned and am 100% convinced that 3/4 ton trucks exist solely as a workaround as to state insurance/titling regulations that are dictated by vehicle weight.

The price difference from 3/4 ton to 1 ton is insignificant. I wish I had gone to a 1 ton when I bought my 2020.

Reactions: powerhaulic

·
Registered
337 Posts
Chatted with GMC chat today and my truck is someplace between Flint and the local rail yard and to check back in 2 days for an update.

Stopped in the dealer this afternoon and GM’s system is showing ETA 4/11 on their lot. They also said as soon as it is unloaded and they can pick it up, they are running there to get it and not wait on a truck to bring it to them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same exact thing I said in 2019.
Oh shit! 🤣🤣

I'm going give the truck a modest lift and tire upgrade so I went with a brand new TT over 5th wheel.. but yeah my kids are only getting bigger and I'd imagine my 24' will get small quick

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
If you are not towing heavy a 2500 is perfect. I would have bought a 3500 in 19 but my dealer insist 3500 single wheel long beds don't sell so they don't stock. If you want a black or white short bed they have your truck.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Dealers around here say the same thing, 3500 singe wheel long beds don’t sell, but they seem to sell as fast as they hit the lots.

Wanted to get a 3500 single wheel long bed in 2015 and could not find one and based on that, decided to to stay with a 2500 at that time.

·
Registered
483 Posts
We had a 29' travel trailer, ordered a '17 Sierra SLT 6.2 max tow. Great tow rig but we were doing 1300mi trips, decided to get a 2500.
Guess what happened next, we got to living 6mo on the road in winter and got a 17000lb 42' fifth wheel.
On our second 3500 srw now, it actually rides better than the 2500 did empty, and far superior towing

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think i'll be glad I went with the 3500 srw over the 2500. They salesman I was working with said they usually sell better used than the 2500. Not sure if that's true or not, but for the small price difference I figured why not.

But the real good news is that after 10 long weeks, my order was finally accepted by GM!

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
We had a 29' travel trailer, ordered a '17 Sierra SLT 6.2 max tow. Great tow rig but we were doing 1300mi trips, decided to get a 2500.
Guess what happened next, we got to living 6mo on the road in winter and got a 17000lb 42' fifth wheel.
On our second 3500 srw now, it actually rides better than the 2500 did empty, and far superior towing
Similar here. I had no plan to tow in 19. Suddenly my wife decided she had a bucket list of sites to see by RV. With that I found I had limitations with the 2500. I remember the sales guy telling me I could tow anything with the 2500.

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
I think i'll be glad I went with the 3500 srw over the 2500. They salesman I was working with said they usually sell better used than the 2500. Not sure if that's true or not, but for the small price difference I figured why not.

But the real good news is that after 10 long weeks, my order was finally accepted by GM!
honestly, I dont think you will having a resale issue with either if in good condition. I sold the 19 2500 last week for 3K less then I paid ...I'm sure the HD truck shortage in my area helped with that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Similar here. I had no plan to tow in 19. Suddenly my wife decided she had a bucket list of sites to see by RV. With that I found I had limitations with the 2500. I remember the sales guy telling me I could tow anything with the 2500.
What couldn't the 2500HD do for you? Isn't the engine the same? It's just the chassis is the only difference correct?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Question for the experts out there. I ordered on 3/25 at my local dealership who told me they had allocations at the time of my visit. When I asked the next day for the order number (so I could track the progress), I was told that the order was submitted but they didn't have an order number yet and they wouldn't have one until GM accepted the order. I was instructed to check back in a week because they should have the order number then. I checked in with them today and still no order number and to check back again tomorrow. I could be mistaken, but I thought that once the order was submitted an order number was generated. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in here before I get overly frustrated with my dealership. Thanks!
***Update - Turns out that I had an order number the entire time. The dealership thought that I was asking if the order was accepted by gm. So now I wait for the order to be accepted and then I can track the event codes. It as been 12 days since my order was submitted and it has yet to be accepted by gm. Looks like the June delivery date they quoted me is going to be pretty accurate.

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
What couldn't the 2500HD do for you? Isn't the engine the same? It's just the chassis is the only difference correct?
Not the expert here. Engine is same yes. Believe the frame is stronger, I know the rear dif is larger.
It really was not about the engine ... the duramax is more then capable. It comes down to pin weight sitting in the bed in addition to the weight being pulled. Somewhere around 15-18K with a heavy pin weight is were the shortfall creeps in. Again I am not the expert here .. I'm sure some of the regular heavy RV pullers here can clean up my math/comments.

·
Registered
14 Posts
honestly, I dont think you will having a resale issue with either if in good condition. I sold the 19 2500 last week for 3K less then I paid ...I'm sure the HD truck shortage in my area helped with that.
Wow, that's crazy! When you're only taking a 3k hit its worth trading it in. Do you guys find its often worth trading it that often?

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 2020 AT4 HD had an 11,300 lb GVRW. My payload was 3,048lbs - when your pin weight is 2600lbs (or likely slightly more), that doesn't leave much headroom for occupant weight, any gear in the truck, or even my dogs...

Physically, the truck could have towed the 5th wheel we ordered. And it would have stopped it just fine too. But, if there was ever an accident and I was determined to be at fault AND I was overweight of my truck's stickers, that would be a legal liability I wouldn't want to face not to mention I would hate to knowingly put others at potential risk.

From what I have read on this forum -

The 3500 has different leaf springs in the rear - the first stage is the same but the following stages are stiffer. And then there is the addition of the helper spring.

The 3500 has a 12" ring gear as opposed to the 11.5" ring gear in the 2500s.

Lastly, there is no torque lockout on the 3500s when starting from a stop. The 2500s limit torque from a stop.

All that factors in and the 3500 SRW should have a payload somewhere north of 3700lbs, likely more depending on added features. Lower trims will have higher capacities since they sacrifice less weight to the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
Wow, that's crazy! When you're only taking a 3k hit its worth trading it in. Do you guys find its often worth trading it that often?
Uhmm ... believe that is situational. I have been lucky the last 2 trades. I keep my trucks clean, always buy with a military discount, and always sell to CarMax. I know CarMax ..My dealer actually referred me to CarMax instead of trading. They never have HDs, and always overpay to buy them in my opinion. 53K dealer offer verses 64K CarMax.. easy math.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll have to remember about CarMax when I go to sell it and see what they are offering.

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
***Update - Turns out that I had an order number the entire time. The dealership thought that I was asking if the order was accepted by gm. So now I wait for the order to be accepted and then I can track the event codes. It as been 12 days since my order was submitted and it has yet to be accepted by gm. Looks like the June delivery date they quoted me is going to be pretty accurate.
Shouldn't be long ... I would wager you get accepted within the next week.

Reactions: g35_83

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Trade ins are good now because of the inflation. It typically doesn’t work out that well. I also recently got a very good deal on my trade in.

341 - 360 of 449 Posts