Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1821 - 1840 of 1884 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
1700 miles in and I'm doing my first oil change.

Usmarine2001 do you guys torque those oil filters down or what? Gawd damn that thing is on there lol
Haha, I did my first change with about the same mileage. Also installed my Fumoto drain valve at the same time.

But damn, you are spot on - I thought the oil filter canister was going to twist-crush instead of actually coming off the engine. That sucker was on there nice and tight!

·
Registered
21 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali 6.6L Duramax CC SB "on order"
320 Posts
When you guys fill up your Def tank about how many gallons does it take normally?

I ran it all the way down to the red as instructed by the tech guys at the dealership. I used my banks to run a regen on my way to fill up. it only took 5.2 gallons so that means I had about 1.8 left.. I figured it would be lower.

·
Registered
320 Posts
No idea on the def tank, waiting to find that out myself also. Is there a reason you guys are changing oil so early?
Ehh for like $70 bucks I figure an early change could be beneficial. It came out pretty black and I didn't find any type of debris in it.

After the first one at 1700 I'll do another at 6k then every 5k after that.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Also, how many miles did you go on your def before refill?
2,050 miles. Some short trips and quite a bit of starting up the truck and stopping the truck because of the couple different shops it's been to for upgrades.

It took 5.2 gallons and I have a 7 gal tank.

It shot from two full green bars to red in a second. I did it the warning messages of xxx number of miles to empty. I think the last message I got was 66 miles before it went red and said "def low, refill soon before speed reduced "

·
Registered
320 Posts
Also, how many miles did you go on your def before refill?
2,050 miles. Some short trips and quite a bit of starting up the truck and stopping the truck because of the couple different shops it's been to for upgrades.

It took 5.2 gallons and I have a 7 gal tank.

It shot from two full green bars to red in a second. I did it the warning messages of xxx number of miles to empty. I think the last message I got was 66 miles before it went red and said "def low, refill soon before speed reduced "

·
Registered
1 Posts
I originally ordered a silverado rst with the 3.0 duramax, true north edition in april. Dealer called me 2 months later and told me I could not get the options I wanted, they were cancelled. Search around all the local dealers, found a incoming GMC with basically the same packages I was looking for. It was built, but missing parts status. The dealer let me put a deposit on it. It's been a month now, and I am wondering if anyone knows when they plan on installing the missing items. Was kinda hoping during the shut down this week they would work on those? Any inside information ?

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2016 duramax does not have a DEF gauge it just says OK i wait til i get message at 20% to refill... in 37000 miles mostly city driving i think i filled it 5 times and they top it off when it goes in for service twice a year... if you buy it at the pump at a truck stop is alot cheaper than by box or jug at an auto parts store... my work truck a 2020 Chevuzu 5500 cabover 16ft box truck uses about a gallon every 1200 mostly highway miles, does the 2021 duramax have a DPF or soot level gauge or a light that comes on the dash when it goes in regen?

·
Registered
320 Posts
My 2016 duramax does not have a DEF gauge it just says OK i wait til i get message at 20% to refill... in 37000 miles mostly city driving i think i filled it 5 times and they top it off when it goes in for service twice a year... if you buy it at the pump at a truck stop is alot cheaper than by box or jug at an auto parts store... my work truck a 2020 Chevuzu 5500 cabover 16ft box truck uses about a gallon every 1200 mostly highway miles, does the 2021 duramax have a DPF or soot level gauge or a light that comes on the dash when it goes in regen?
My 2021 has Dash window notifications of how many miles left. I use my banks to see my soot level and to sometimes manually regen.

I used my local truck stop def as that's the best place to get it for longer def life

·
Registered
286 Posts
No idea on the def tank, waiting to find that out myself also. Is there a reason you guys are changing oil so early?
The owners manual had a statement, if I recall correctly, that said to change oil before doing significant towing. I was able to get my break-in mileage in before a couple trips we had planned with our 5th wheel, and I got the oil changed as soon as I could in-between trips.

Plus, I really wanted to get my Fumoto drain valve installed, silly as that sounds. I put one in my 2020, and then traded it before I could actually use it. I went to Mobil-1 Delvac ESP oil with an Amsoil filter.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I originally ordered a silverado rst with the 3.0 duramax, true north edition in april. Dealer called me 2 months later and told me I could not get the options I wanted, they were cancelled. Search around all the local dealers, found a incoming GMC with basically the same packages I was looking for. It was built, but missing parts status. The dealer let me put a deposit on it. It's been a month now, and I am wondering if anyone knows when they plan on installing the missing items. Was kinda hoping during the shut down this week they would work on those? Any inside information ?

Thanks
Soon as they get them..

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 3500 CC LB
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,835 ·
The owners manual had a statement, if I recall correctly, that said to change oil before doing significant towing. I was able to get my break-in mileage in before a couple trips we had planned with our 5th wheel, and I got the oil changed as soon as I could in-between trips.

Plus, I really wanted to get my Fumoto drain valve installed, silly as that sounds. I put one in my 2020, and then traded it before I could actually use it. I went to Mobil-1 Delvac ESP oil with an Amsoil filter.
. Do not tow a trailer during the first
800 km (500 mi) of vehicle use to prevent
damage to the engine, axle, or other
parts.
. It is recommended to perform the first oil
change before heavy towing.

I missed that. I towed 3500 miles on my initial oil. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just did my first wash after the ceramic and holy cow the bugs all the grime just fall right off. Worth every penny

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 3500 CC LB
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,837 ·
When you guys fill up your Def tank about how many gallons does it take normally?

I ran it all the way down to the red as instructed by the tech guys at the dealership. I used my banks to run a regen on my way to fill up. it only took 5.2 gallons so that means I had about 1.8 left.. I figured it would be lower.
Lynch ... curious, you caught my attention on something. "you ran a regen on the way to fill up". I'm not aware the idash has a rolling regen ...only a stationary. what I'm I missing?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Lynch ... curious, you caught my attention on something. "you ran a regen on the way to fill up". I'm not aware the idash has a rolling regen ...only a stationary. what I'm I missing?
Yep it has mobile regen.

Cool thing was I ran it on my way to fill up the def so it continued after I filled up which means it ran the old def in the lines

·
Premium Member
2018 Silverado 3500 LTZ Z71 L5P CCSB
373 Posts
DEF is not involved in the regen process.

Unless I am confusing what you are saying @Lynch-Mob-24-

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 3500 CC LB
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,840 ·
Yep it has mobile regen.

Cool thing was I ran it on my way to fill up the def so it continued after I filled up which means it ran the old def in the lines
So I am second guessing myself at the moment.
What parameters do you run on your idash for emissions that you see all the time? How positive are you a regen was actually running?

1821 - 1840 of 1884 Posts