Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1861 - 1880 of 1884 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 3500 CC LB
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,862 ·
I have ~2500 miles on mine, and have never seen a keep driving or regen message…. Mostly highway miles…
There is no message or alert on these new trucks. Unless you have an aftermarket toy like the idash.

·
Registered
2021 Denali HD Fabtech Lift and 37s
400 Posts
There is no message or alert on these new trucks. Unless you have an aftermarket toy like the idash.
Not true. I’ve gotten the keep driving message a couple times.

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 3500 CC LB
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,865 ·
Well I stand corrected. My truck has yet sent any alert … at 4600 miles. I’ll take that as good.

·
Registered
21 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali 6.6L Duramax CC SB "on order"
320 Posts
So I just noticed on my last trip when climbing up elevation or high stain the exhaust temps shoot up and when they do it automatically activates the DEF and starts burning.

Though the idash doesn't recognize it as an active burn.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
DEF is used whenever it is running. DEF usage will be roughly proportional to fuel use.

Regen uses extra fuel, to increase exhaust temp.

If the engine is working hard enough exhaust temps can get high enough to maintain or reduce soot levels without adding extra fuel directly to the exhaust. This is sometimes referred to as 'passive regeneration'.

Reactions: Lynch-Mob-24-

·
Registered
320 Posts
DEF is used whenever it is running. DEF usage will be roughly proportional to fuel use.

Regen uses extra fuel, to increase exhaust temp.

If the engine is working hard enough exhaust temps can get high enough to maintain or reduce soot levels without adding extra fuel directly to the exhaust. This is sometimes referred to as 'passive regeneration'.
That's great to know!

Do you run the def tank to E? I did that but it still had 1.8 gallons of def in it.

Which means that's 1.8 gallons with an older exp date

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
That's great to know!

Do you run the def tank to E? I did that but it still had 1.8 gallons of def in it.

Which means that's 1.8 gallons with an older exp date
I wouldn't worry about blending the old and new.

I've done it both ways.

My first DEF truck as an '11 -- and they didn't have any type of DEF level display. '11's just gave the 1000 mile warning (once) and then when below 300 miles (estimated) they updated the remaining estimate at each start-up. At first I tried to fit in 2 of the 2.5 gal jugs when it was at 300 miles. For many, both jugs would fit. Mine would not, so needed to remember to put the remainder of the 2nd jug in after putting some miles on it. Later I changed to adding one jug at a time, so there wasn't an unsealed jug around to possibly spill or contaminate. I'd purchase jug(s) sometime after the 1000 mile warning and then add when convenient --- or when reminded by the 300 mile...

For a bunch of years, that truck just got one 2.5 gal jug sometime after the 1000 mile warning.

Today, I use a bulk station that is near enough that I don't find it necessary to mess with jugs.

With the L5P 6.6 the DEF tank is 7.0 gal (vs 5.3) on the LML. If bulk wasn't convenient I'd do like I was with the LML, but add 2 of the 2.5 gal jugs since they would both fit.

·
Registered
320 Posts
That's awesome, I need to look into it and see if it will fit with my setup. You still keep the spare tire correct?

·
Registered
2022 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW
103 Posts
That's awesome, I need to look into it and see if it will fit with my setup. You still keep the spare tire correct?
My understanding is that I will still be able to keep the spare. I think there is a small bracket that has to be cut off but otherwise direct replacement. Does hang 2" lower!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Didn't one of you guys get the 60 gallon tank?
Bringing this thread back to reply to this post from Lynch...

If you have a standard bed, the S&B tank is also an option.

I have the S&B 62 gallon tank installed. Granted, I don't drive a ton as I work from home, but I have close to 600 miles on my current tank of fuel. My Banks iDash tells me I'm down to 40% fuel level on this tank.

And I last filled up on July 7th.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Bringing this thread back to reply to this post from Lynch...

If you have a standard bed, the S&B tank is also an option.

I have the S&B 62 gallon tank installed. Granted, I don't drive a ton as I work from home, but I have close to 600 miles on my current tank of fuel. My Banks iDash tells me I'm down to 40% fuel level on this tank.

And I last filled up on July 7th.
I need to look into it. Driving to Yellowstone tomorrow and I'll have to fill up a few times to get there. Did you install yourself?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I need to look into it. Driving to Yellowstone tomorrow and I'll have to fill up a few times to get there. Did you install yourself?
We have a trip planned later this year to visit family in eastern Idaho. I'm excited to not have to fill up in-between here (Colorado) and there and pay interstate fuel prices.

I did a DIY install with the help of a good friend. I bought a 5 gallon fuel can that I had filled with diesel for my first fill.

Install is easy enough, the clips from the fuel lines are not too difficult to manipulate. I did manage to break a clip, but a dealer nearby had the fuel line in stock so my wife ran to pick it up.

As for draining what was left from my stock tank, I broke off the flapper from the fill inlet, and we poured out the remaining fuel out of the tank via the filler hole into the fuel can after we emptied the fuel can's 5 gallons into the new tank.

It wasn't difficult, and I am glad to have not paid the estimated $600 it would have cost for a shop to do it. Even with my mishap of a broken clip on one of the lines, I am still well ahead of a shop install cost.

We chocked the front wheels, and put the rear end up on jack stands. Plenty of room. And you can easily cut the S&B shipping box to use as a cover over the driveway for any inadvertent spills.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered a ‘21 3500hd DRW on 6/26. A couple weeks later I got an allocation but had to change a few things to get my order accepted, which it was. Now as of 8/28 I am being told that my rig has been built but is sitting in a parking lot waiting for a chip. I am not sure if this is good news or not? I never new anything about an order number or code until I read some of your posts. I appreciate all the info here and any input.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I ordered a ‘21 3500hd DRW on 6/26. A couple weeks later I got an allocation but had to change a few things to get my order accepted, which it was. Now as of 8/28 I am being told that my rig has been built but is sitting in a parking lot waiting for a chip. I am not sure if this is good news or not? I never new anything about an order number or code until I read some of your posts. I appreciate all the info here and any input.
I'd say that's good news that your truck will get a chip

·
Registered
320 Posts
5700 miles on the truck. Just took it in for my free oil change and such. Found a local dealer who's cool with all my banks stuff

·
Registered
2022 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW
103 Posts
5700 miles on the truck. Just took it in for my free oil change and such. Found a local dealer who's cool with all my banks stuff
Who is that local dealer? As I will be adding all that to my truck to if it ever arrives? Already have a room full of parts just waiting on the truck now!

1861 - 1880 of 1884 Posts