Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best route ? I have a heavy 5th wheel that has a dry hitch weight of 3290 lbs .

Jayco rep says bags are best some people say no bags as they can be problematic.

Any help or recommendations on which way to go , where to buy and who can install on my new beast.

Would be great to hear back !

Thanks Everyone

· Registered
152 Posts
You will get good answers here as there are many of us towing. A wider audience would be found on some of the camper forums. Lots of old guys who have been pulling for years. A significant differentiation is if you want some semblance of ride when not towing. Airbags are adjustable to the road and load. Do read up on ping tanks for airbags, you can tune the rising rate characteristics of the airbag with the size of the tank.

· Registered
2,594 Posts
What's the best route ? I have a heavy 5th wheel that has a dry hitch weight of 3290 lbs .

Jayco rep says bags are best some people say no bags as they can be problematic.

Any help or recommendations on which way to go , where to buy and who can install on my new beast.

Would be great to hear back !

Thanks Everyone
I use Timbrens which are relatively inexpensive because they just replace the bump stops. But my truck is a 3500 so I have the overload spring pack, whereas a 2500 doesn't (at least from my model year -- I know the new 3/4-tons are different).

But the suspension and sag are really the least of your worries. The bigger issue is your rear tire and wheel capacity, which you'll almost certainly exceed if you're on the OEM stuff. My camper's factory pin weight is about 2600 lbs and with the way I have it loaded it's right around 4000 lbs. I had to upgrade to 19.5-inch wheels/tires. Here's a pic from the side; doesn't really squat despite the immense pin weight.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use Timbrens which are relatively inexpensive because they just replace the bump stops. But my truck is a 3500 so I have the overload spring pack, whereas a 2500 doesn't (at least from my model year -- I know the new 3/4-tons are different).

But the suspension and sag are really the least of your worries. The bigger issue is your rear tire and wheel capacity, which you'll almost certainly exceed if you're on the OEM stuff. My camper's factory pin weight is about 2600 lbs and with the way I have it loaded it's right around 4000 lbs. I had to upgrade to 19.5-inch wheels/tires. Here's a pic from the side; doesn't really squat despite the immense pin weight.

Thanks for sharing. I am riding on the OEM 20 inch wheel with a Goodyear wrangler E
rated tires . I checked the load on them and it was 3800 lbs - I would think that would be enough

· Premium Member
596 Posts
I second timbrens. No maintenance on them.

Reactions: Black HD

· Registered
2022 Silverado LT, 3500HD, Double Cab, Flatbed Four Wheel Camper
122 Posts
I would say the conventional thoughts are that it depends on what you do with the truck when you aren't towing. If you put additional leaf srping(s) on, the ride might be a bit harsh. With airbags, not so much as you can deflate to a min. BUT springs are probably less problematic (or potentially so). We went through this dilemma with a slide in camper and then a flatbed camper (currently) as we never took the campers off so we wanted soemthing we didn't have to worry about. Actually, we did both; primarily use the airbags as a way to level the truck but if we had a failure while traveling to Mexico, etc. we were worried that if the airbag failed, we'd never find parts as we are more boondockers.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for sharing. Makes sense. I would prefer to have the option to go back to stock since I will be moving the 5th wheel very little. We are primarily on a seasonal site.
airlift 5000 bag system apparently has a fail safe built in that will assist if the bag experiences
a failure. This not available with the Firestone bags - from what etrailer tech told me

· Registered
2023 crew cab, 4WD, LT Z71. rear airbags, rear stabilizer bar, 66gal aux gravity feed, camper shell
33 Posts
I put airlift 5000 bag system on mine in a couple hours. Rides better empty at 12lbs, super easy to level with a load. Built in back up jounce.

· Registered
152 Posts
I would recommend some sort of onboard air supply. Not difficult to wire or plumb. At the minimum but a handheld battery compressor. Always hunting for a compressor and or AC to air up is a pain.
You can use the compressor kit that Air Lift sells for the Air Shocks, it will take a minute to air up but it will work just fine at a much lower cost. An easy place to place air valves and fill points etc is inside the bed just above behind. the tail light.

· Registered
113 Posts
I would recommend some sort of onboard air supply. Not difficult to wire or plumb. At the minimum but a handheld battery compressor. Always hunting for a compressor and or AC to air up is a pain.
You can use the compressor kit that Air Lift sells for the Air Shocks, it will take a minute to air up but it will work just fine at a much lower cost. An easy place to place air valves and fill points etc is inside the bed just above behind. the tail light.
I have much the same, I bought a decent (not the cheapest), mini air compressor that fit's behind the rear seats. Just pull it out, and plug in to AC plug, to adjust if no gas stations around. Also works as a back up incase of a low tire pressure....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts