Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2022 LM2 gets a higher tow rating -- 13,300

14K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  kirk_3607 
#1 ·
There is a Silverado reveal video by GM engineering and marketing folks.

Reveals the new interior and the ZR2 trim for the 1500 silverado.

Anyway, at about 11:41 of the video is a screenshot about engine options that shows the new 3.0L/10spd tow rating.

Link should open at about that point of the video.

Reactions: 98whitelightnin
#5 ·
"Another big criticism for the 2019 model was the low towing capacity for the 3.0-liter Duramax diesel. Chevy says they were able to make changes to the frame, increase the rear differential to 3.73 (from 3.23) and improve the cooling to allow trucks with this engine to add the maximum towing package. This improves the maximum tow rating to 13,300 pounds in a 2WD model. This is a huge improvement resulting in 4,000 pounds of towing more than the prior generation."

#9 ·
Yeah, they went to a 3.73. rear end. I wonder the the e-lockers will be available outside the ZR-2 trim? It looks like they upped the size of the 'punkins, so I doubt a retrofit is possible on earlier models

#12 ·
I believe the 13,000+ lbs trailering is tied to the NHT max tow package. This package you get the 3.73 rear end along with stiffer rear leaf spring and unique shock tuning. The NHT package is only tied to certain tires.

The non-NHT trucks will still have the 3.23. GM needs all FE they can get. They are funding Telsa with buying credits from them.

#iworkforGM

#13 ·
An axle ratio change can help powertrain cooling sometimes. When you test at Davis dam or stovepipe wells, a higher rear end ratio can have you maintain a higher vehicle at a lower rpm (you could be in a higher transmission gear). At a higher vehicle speed and lower engine speed, you get more airflow and less heat rejection. This keeps the fluids cooler without needing changes to cooling system.

#iworkforGM

#28 ·
Order sheets show only a 100 pound bump in GVWR. So no real payload increases given the weight of the NHT package. Will there much of a MPG hit with the NHT package? I've watched some videos, and looks like RPMs are around 1500 at 70 mph. So with the NHT, it will be around 1730 RPMs at 70 mph.

Debating on whether to order with NHT LM2 package or not. The stiffer shocks and springs sounds good. I'll never tow over 10000 pounds (dump trailer), and majority of my towing is a 5000 pound (loaded) enclosed snowmobile trailer.

#29 ·
Order guide shows NHT / LM2 will only be available on SLE/Elevation/SLT on the sierra's and 3.73 will only come with the LM2/NHT combo.

Silverado NHT / LM2 /3.73 package will be available on LT/RST/LTZ/HC.
Gas engine chev with NHT will get 3.42
NHT cannot be added to HC if the truck has the optional adaptive ride control.

NHT not available with 22's or with the 'off-road' packages

#30 ·
Order guide shows NHT / LM2 will only be available on SLE/Elevation/SLT on the sierra's and 3.73 will only come with the LM2/NHT combo.

Silverado NHT / LM2 /3.73 package will be available on LT/RST/LTZ/HC.
Gas engine chev with NHT will get 3.42
NHT cannot be added to HC if the truck has the optional adaptive ride control.

NHT not available with 22's or with the 'off-road' packages
So why is the Max Tow package NHT/LM2 not available on the refreshed 2022 Sierra Denali?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.