Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Would you still buy a 2022 2500 AT4 Duramax, even with all the known issues they are having?

• Yes

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No way in hell

Votes: 3 17.6%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 2022 AT4 2500 that is just a few days from being on the ground, and I am seriously having 2nd thoughts. Every single thing I find on this GM platform is a nightmare or horror story. More people than not have them back in the shop within days of delivery for major issues, from transmission slipping to injector codes to electrical malfunctions. With GM being of no real assistance whatsoever. And forget about lifting one...every dealership south of Canada will do their best to void your warranty with all these issues going on. I am literally one phone call away tomorrow morning from backing out and telling them to keep my deposit. Ide be a lunatic if I buy an 80k heavy duty rig that is in the shop for 8 months out of the first year of owning it like most people ive heard of. It seems the vast majority of new owners are in the same situation. Which is barely getting it off the lot before it starts throwing codes and trying to buck them out of the seat. If I could get just 5 out of 10 people to tell me its worth the purchase, I would probably go ahead and give it a chance. But ive never been this on the fence about a brand new f'ng truck and im willing to bet finding 50% of new owners that say getting this rig is a good idea is a long shot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't seen all these issues you are reading about. I have a 2018 Denali Duramax with 113k miles and only problems have been a coolant level sensor in reservoir and 2 glow plugs. Cost me $100 and fixed it myself in my driveway. Coworker has a 2020 Denali Duramax with 35k miles, only issue he had was bad batteries. Like was said above, people that have issues are the loudest.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts
Your taking the bad too seriously. Read post #23 in this tread Is a new 2022 truck worth it?. Get your new truck and enjoy it. They are workaholics. Thousands of happy owners out there.

Reactions: VenomSS

·
Registered
716 Posts
There have been a fair number of issues with the new At4 trucks and not really just that model in particular. It's a quality control issue across the board really which I'm sure is what he's worried about. I read all the forums just to stay knowledgeable of any issues that could possibly plague my truck one day and it is concerning.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Dont think its really a quality control issue.. maybe Im biased due to where i work. But.... i was at a campground end of sept... 6 other T1 trucks there... talked to 1 guy... come to find out. He builds ram trucks yet bought a GM HD.. soo there's that....

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
It would be best to cancel the order.
It'll make 2 people happy (maybe 3)!

You, the one that gets to buy it, and possibly the dealer that keeps the deposit and then sells if for a even higher markup.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts
It would be best to cancel the order.
It'll make 2 people happy (maybe 3)!

You, the one that gets to buy it, and possibly the dealer that keeps the deposit and then sells if for a even higher markup.
You got that right. It will make someone else a great truck while he sits there searching forums for a vehicle that never has problems.

Reactions: VenomSS

·
Registered
2019 3500HD High Country DRW 4x4
47 Posts
I owned a 2019 DRW with the Duramax and it had no issues. These forums seem to magnify the issues. You'll find issued with every vehicle you research.

The GM trucks have the best ride quality of all of them also. The AT4 seems to have a very high demand for a reason. I would definitely purchase it if I were you. I'm currently truckless and I'm waiting patiently to buy a new Denali DRW either next year or 2023. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
331 Posts
14k on my 2021 3500 LTZ with Z71 chrome sport package. No problems at all! Sold my 17 2500 for this truck. Some days I miss the classic chevy style that my 17 had. But the new truck with all the time tech inside for towing is awesome. Some times you have to shiht or get off the toilet.

·
Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
90 Posts
I dont like polls.

I have a 2021. Ordered new ltz midnight edition as I despise chrome, with everything but a sunroof. I have 14000 miles on it. It was in the shop 3 times for warranty issues at the beginning. A mirror cable connector with a bad pin, gauge cluster error that caused the gauge cluster to be replaced and one reprogram for a ecm update.

I'm extremely happy with it. If something happened to it like a meteor strike taking it out I would not hesitate to get another one exactly the same.

A lot of issue with vehicles you read about on forums I think are created by owners diying mods. This self inflicted problem shows up on youtube where you have some dingdong self ascribed "expert" messing with things breaks his truck and its gm fault because his tuned racing program blew something up.... then it goes viral and it's now a qC issue.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali
67 Posts
yes there are issues, but not all trucks have them. mine has had a few, mostly fixed. the rear window leak has not been fixed yet. they said they fixed it the first time, according to the work order. however, when it was in 2 days ago for it, they said the work was never done the first time🤔 so it has to go back again. 😡

there are issues with many of the diesel components, mostly emissions stuff. GM still can't seem to get it right. If you don't need diesel, i would seriously look at gas. the new gas motors are no slouches. My next truck will be gas

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone, im backing away from the ledge LOL. Really looking forward to getting this thing, and hopefully my issues will be minimal if any. Just had to sell a 2011 3500 LTZ LML custom I inherited when my father passed away. It hurt to have to sell, in more ways than one. But thats how estates / probates go. It was tuned and had all the "exhaust work" professionally done back when reputable shops were still doing them. Became a very reliable beast after all that work was done. Only thing I plan to do on this one (after it proves its reliability) is a 4 inch lift and maybe some Banks plug ins. I know lifts arent supposed to void a warranty, but I dont feel like arguing with some snot nosed service manager if this one does happen to have trans issues and they try to say the lift caused it. Finance guy says the extended warranty is checked off that lifting will not void, but ive been down this road before. What one dealer says another doesnt always honor.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Ok. Good... dont post when drinking... if you have read anything I have posted.. you would know that we take great care of any truck!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yeah they're just great. I just have 3 words - stop sale order. 4 weeks now and we still have nothing official, just rumors from the net.

I just spent nearly $70k for a truck that's been sitting outside for 4 weeks for fear of it spontaneously combusting in my attached garage. It's already sat out more than my new 2007 did in the 10 years that I owned it.

I know the topic here is a 2022 model, not the '21 model that's still under the stop sale order but it doesn't instill much confidence in GM either way. What quality issues are lurking in the '22 model that's just waiting to be found? There will be issues. Sure seems like there's more and more as the years go by. I'm sure some of it is due to complexity but in my opinion, GM has damn sure been cutting more corners as time goes by as well. They could do many things better but if it costs more, too bad.

I realize all manufacturers have their issues, I just get more disappointed in GM almost daily. The only reason I still have one is because they're the king of ride and handling.

Hey GM, if y'all are watching here, what the Hell is wrong with the 2021's? Could we possibly get a hint what's going on and when to expect the solution?

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
The 20^ trucks are the best GM has come out with yet. The emission control devices will eventually cause you a problem or two but that's been life for years now across every brand. I'm just not seeing the horror stories you mention on a large scale.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Yeah they're just great. I just have 3 words - stop sale order. 4 weeks now and we still have nothing official, just rumors from the net.

I just spent nearly $70k for a truck that's been sitting outside for 4 weeks for fear of it spontaneously combusting in my attached garage. It's already sat out more than my new 2007 did in the 10 years that I owned it.

I know the topic here is a 2022 model, not the '21 model that's still under the stop sale order but it doesn't instill much confidence in GM either way. What quality issues are lurking in the '22 model that's just waiting to be found? There will be issues. Sure seems like there's more and more as the years go by. I'm sure some of it is due to complexity but in my opinion, GM has damn sure been cutting more corners as time goes by as well. They could do many things better but if it costs more, too bad.

I realize all manufacturers have their issues, I just get more disappointed in GM almost daily. The only reason I still have one is because they're the king of ride and handling.

Hey GM, if y'all are watching here, what the Hell is wrong with the 2021's? Could we possibly get a hint what's going on and when to expect the solution?
Well if u wanna calm down and understand a few thing's... i will tell ya... or can leave ya pissy... but your talking out ur butt on the 2022's.....and when I educate you... i will pm you an address.. and mail me some Blanton's!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Well if u wanna calm down and understand a few thing's... i will tell ya... or can leave ya pissy... but your talking out ur butt on the 2022's.....and when I educate you... i will pm you an address.. and mail me some Blanton's!
It appears we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to go to war with you and waste a bunch of time posting something that the mod's will just delete anyway.

As for the Blanton's, if and when I do find another bottle, I'm drinking it! If you were here however, I would offer you a drink.

You know it's funny, how much at odds many of us can seem to be on the forums, but I guarantee you if we just sat down and had a drink and shot the sh*t, most of us would get along just fine.

Keep building those trucks, brother! And lean on them to work on better quality every chance you get:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts