Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Would you still buy a 2022 2500 AT4 Duramax, even with all the known issues they are having?

• Yes

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No way in hell

Votes: 3 17.6%
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
1... you have no idea what you are talking about...
2. The stop sale only affected certain 2021's..
3. Did not affect 2022's.
4. You dont know jack
5. Dont come in here and talk chit about where i work...

So when you want to calm down... i will help you. Pm me your order number

Should you not... well you can just be pissy.

And WHEN I do help you... there better be one hell of an apology on here!

I had a 2021 AT4, loved it but it did have some issues that I feel are pretty ridiculous given the price of these trucks. First the rear window leak. GM has known about this for over a decade and has not addressed/resolved the issue. My truck was leaking within the first 1000 miles. Took it in, they "fixed" it and then a few months later it did the same thing.

Next issue is the steering clunk/pop. I know this is not a sports car however it's not asking too much to have staring that works as it should. Had this "fixed" multiple times to no avail. Also the steering wheel while going straight is at about the 1 o'clock position. Regardless of getting it aligned by multiple shops etc.

Ultimately ended up selling the truck. There were many things I really liked about it, however for these issues to be constant on a $80k truck is just unacceptable; at least in my opinion.

Ive got a 2022 AT4 2500 that is just a few days from being on the ground, and I am seriously having 2nd thoughts. Every single thing I find on this GM platform is a nightmare or horror story. More people than not have them back in the shop within days of delivery for major issues, from transmission slipping to injector codes to electrical malfunctions. With GM being of no real assistance whatsoever. And forget about lifting one...every dealership south of Canada will do their best to void your warranty with all these issues going on. I am literally one phone call away tomorrow morning from backing out and telling them to keep my deposit. Ide be a lunatic if I buy an 80k heavy duty rig that is in the shop for 8 months out of the first year of owning it like most people ive heard of. It seems the vast majority of new owners are in the same situation. Which is barely getting it off the lot before it starts throwing codes and trying to buck them out of the seat. If I could get just 5 out of 10 people to tell me its worth the purchase, I would probably go ahead and give it a chance. But ive never been this on the fence about a brand new f'ng truck and im willing to bet finding 50% of new owners that say getting this rig is a good idea is a long shot.
If you want little trouble don't buy diesel. Mine has been in the shop for the better part of 6 months. There is a crapload of sensors and switches, etc on all diesels. If you are buying it to be cool, buy a corvette.

For what it's worth - You're not going to find perfection with any new vehicle. Period. I just dumped a 2021 F350 because Ford/Dana decided to go brain dead and install a rear axle not built for the load they "say" those trucks can haul. And their fix is to have dealers weld the axles up to "make them stronger" The right thing to do would've been to swap out the axle with the wrong tubes, but who does the right thing these days.

I think it's possible to have any vehicle be a lemon. Diesels are not the only ones that could be a lemon either.

I don't believe there is any kind of endemic lack of quality on the new GM trucks. I actually believe they are as nice now or better than before, in my experience.

Reactions: VenomSS
I’m curious is there’s any correlation between the quality of the vehicles out there and the pandemic. Do the vehicles that were built in the second quarter of 2020 and later have more issues due to plants being short handed, having to close, people being out sick etc?

I’m curious is there’s any correlation between the quality of the vehicles out there and the pandemic. Do the vehicles that were built in the second quarter of 2020 and later have more issues due to plants being short handed, having to close, people being out sick etc?
I'm sure that is a large part of it.

Ive got a 2022 AT4 2500 that is just a few days from being on the ground, and I am seriously having 2nd thoughts. Every single thing I find on this GM platform is a nightmare or horror story. More people than not have them back in the shop within days of delivery for major issues, from transmission slipping to injector codes to electrical malfunctions. With GM being of no real assistance whatsoever. And forget about lifting one...every dealership south of Canada will do their best to void your warranty with all these issues going on. I am literally one phone call away tomorrow morning from backing out and telling them to keep my deposit. Ide be a lunatic if I buy an 80k heavy duty rig that is in the shop for 8 months out of the first year of owning it like most people ive heard of. It seems the vast majority of new owners are in the same situation. Which is barely getting it off the lot before it starts throwing codes and trying to buck them out of the seat. If I could get just 5 out of 10 people to tell me its worth the purchase, I would probably go ahead and give it a chance. But ive never been this on the fence about a brand new f'ng truck and im willing to bet finding 50% of new owners that say getting this rig is a good idea is a long shot.
Wtf are you talking about? AT4 is the trim, same engine and transmission! l5P is the best on the market (2020,2500 here) are you just bragging you a ordered a 2022? Not impressed.

I took delivery of my 2022 dually Denali this past week. No codes yet. By far the nicest new vehicle I've ever owned.
I had issues with my 2020 Silverado SRW 3500, I think more of them were related to 'first year' stuff, mostly the electronics and radio. The new infotainment is %1000 more responsive, the camera views are awesome. And unlike the Ford I sold to buy this truck - you can actually see things in the camera views (pretty sure the Ford cameras are about 300 pixel cameras from the early nineties)

The build quality on my new truck is as close to perfect as far as I could tell. Even the Ford had orange peel paint issues on the tailgate.

I wouldn't hesitate for a minute buying a new GM truck.

Good luck!

Reactions: Burl and VenomSS
I have had my 2020 since January of 2020 after I ordered it and they went on strike and yatta yatta yatta. I have only hade minor issues like the guy who replaced the chrome emblems with black (not a huge fan of chrome either but midnight or painted was not an option in October of 2019) used a brick to get them off so I had to get the doors and tailgate repainted. Had to have the trim piece on the driver door replaced due to the previous problem. Had to take it back to have a front license plate holder installed. And as of late my passenger mirror doesn't want to cooperate but haven taken it in for that yet. Probably should because I'm almost at 30k and that's the end of the new truck warranty here but I'm a mechanic so I'll do all the nonsense. Just keep it up on maintenance and you should be fine. Every once in a while I get a service trailer brake message but I push clear and it doesn't show up for months lol. That being said it's never left me on the side of the road and it has always towed what I told it to. I hope you get it it is an awesome truck with so much more room if you have baggage like I do they will enjoy it also 😉

Duramax’s I’ve owned:
2007.5 (LMM). Kick ass truck. Had about 130k trouble free miles on it. An employee rolled it, so I no longer have it. Pumped up 2014. Bought it with 8k miles. Let it go 40k miles later as part of a business transaction.
2016 I bought new. Most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned. Drove it for just about 100k miles before trading it in on a 2020 I pre-ordered.
2020 was production number 2038 and was made the first week of production. It was also one of the unlucky trucks to be pulled from line and sent in for the “quality control drive” where GM hammers on new vehicles to ensure they live. Drove the wheels off that truck for about 6 months. Rolled it with 50k miles on it. This is the only Duramax that I had to have repairs made on. Nothing major though and my local dealer (shoutout to Bozarth Chevrolet in Grand Junction) made it a painless experience. I would not have hesitated to replace it with another 2020/2021, but I need my truck on a daily basis. Replaced it with a 2019.
2019 I’m still driving. Bought it with 50k on it and am close to 90k miles now. It’s performed exactly as expected: flawlessly.
2017: came up for sale the week after my 2019 and I didn’t want to pass up the chance to get one at a good deal. One of my employees uses it as his company vehicle. Zero issues with that one and he really likes it.

Buy the 2022, OP. With the way the truck is today, if you don‘t like it (but you will), you‘ll be able to trade out of it easily.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Still waiting on the truck...It was scheduled to be delivered 10-21 through 10-27 but was not on the delivery truck when the dealer got their shipment on the 23rd. Dealer contacted GM to inquire as to its location, and they were told it was held back for additional QC inspection. It was in limbo until 11-5 and finally got updated officially to QC status, delivery date TBD. As of today the 12th, delivery status is still TBD. Truck came out of assembly on 7-28-21.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Wtf are you talking about? AT4 is the trim, same engine and transmission! l5P is the best on the market (2020,2500 here) are you just bragging you a ordered a 2022? Not impressed.
Are you just butthurt I got a 2022? Sounds just as stupid as you saying im bragging about getting a 2022. You dont know me. Last thing I care about is impressing people on the internet that dont even like me to begin with.

If you want little trouble don't buy diesel. Mine has been in the shop for the better part of 6 months. There is a crapload of sensors and switches, etc on all diesels. If you are buying it to be cool, buy a corvette.
I'm probably going to buy the parts to do a def/dpf delete on mine and if it starts having emissions issues just swap it out. The whole reason to upgrade to a 2500 from my Tundra was to get a diesel for heavy towing.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
For the sake of keeping a timeline: As of today the truck is in nowhere land. Dealer doesnt know where it is, GM chat says its in 4300 status (intermediate delivery) but to GM chat reps that just means the truck is built and pending shipping with no delivery date. Palsapp shows the following ---
0101209103Flint MiFLINT, MIEXCEL LOT/LAKE STATE RAILWAY01014738231GT49PEY7NFxxxxxxDelivered on
Jul 28 2021
0101218144Flint MiFLINT FF, MIGM FLINT PLANT01014769861GT49PEY7NFxxxxxxDelivered on
Aug 06 2021

Long story short, the truck is sold and GM is doing whatever GM does and all you can do is bend over and take it 😂

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.