Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy,
Help please.
Just purchased a 23 3500HD crew SRW with standard 6'9" bed w/ factory puck system.

Looking at B&W companion 20k 5er hitch. I was going to get slider but B&W said with new truck slider is not needed. Puck system already sits further back than previous gen trucks. I asked, so NO cab clearance issues if I get a non-slider RVK3710 and she said yes.
Anyone out there have this set up and confirm it's good to go?

TIA

· Registered
2022 Silverado 3500, long bed, crew cab, 4X4. Towing a 2016 Arctic Fox and a 2018 Jeep Wrangler
38 Posts
Depends on your 5er. If you have a newer one with an extended pin box and a rounded front cap, no problem. Just don't go past 90˚. ( You should avoid that anyway IMO). If you have an old 5er with a square, flat front and the pin box does not extend past the front, you will need a slider. I've towed with a B&W Companion for over 20 years on short (6.5') bed trucks without any problems. Current truck is my first long (8') bed. I'm still using my original Companion head, now on its' fourth base. Great product.

· Registered
380 Posts
2023 GMC with puck system, 2018 montana h/c . i went with the slider just in case..

Reactions: OrcuttHD

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on your 5er. If you have a newer one with an extended pin box and a rounded front cap, no problem. Just don't go past 90˚. ( You should avoid that anyway IMO). If you have an old 5er with a square, flat front and the pin box does not extend past the front, you will need a slider. I've towed with a B&W Companion for over 20 years on short (6.5') bed trucks without any problems. Current truck is my first long (8') bed. I'm still using my original Companion head, now on its' fourth base. Great product.
It's a 2021 Jayco. Front cap is rounded at ends somewhat. Pin is just shy of nose. I wish I could find someone with this set up so I could get jaws to cab measurement. I could figure if I have clearance then.
I'm sure slider is safer bet especially if I ever change trailers but why pay $500 for more slop/play in hitch and larger/heavier if I never need it. B&W also said there is tailgate clearance issue with slider hitch when it's back.

· Registered
107 Posts
I have a 2020 AT4 short bed with puck system and the B&W hitch which I switched to when I changed trucks, tow a Titanium 5th and I have a lot more room between the nose and the cab back. I can almost make 90 deg but don't and only checked it to know in an emergency. With that new of a Jayco I would guess that it has the front shape to accommodate it. I remove my hitch manually after towing as my truck is used for other things, I just break it down into two pieces to make it so this 80 yo body can move it.

· Registered
2022 Silverado 3500, long bed, crew cab, 4X4. Towing a 2016 Arctic Fox and a 2018 Jeep Wrangler
38 Posts
OP: IMO you'll have no problem. The B&W has about 6" of fore and aft adjustment in the arms. I'd guarantee no problem going forward, you'll never get a cab strike unless you are sliding out of control. When backing, if you start getting close to 90˚, rethink your approach. I'd never put that much stress on my suspension on solid surfaces and am very hesitant to do so on gravel. Never be afraid to take a second (or third) shot it. Similarly don't be embarrassed to get out of the truck and take a look. I do all my own parking, way easier on marital relations. BTW, You can get a good idea of the cab to jaws measurement by just using the center of the middle puck cutout to the back window of the cab. Just over 4' get you 90˚.

· Registered
43 Posts
I bought a slider with my '05. In the 18 years since, I have only used it twice, in the first year. Hindsight being what it is I wouldn't have bothered. And thats with a trailer that doesn't have the curved nose that the newer trailers have. New truck is a long bed, can install or remove the hitch by myself pretty easy.. The slider gets the forks on the tractor.

· Registered
2022 Chevrolet 3500 High Country CC
1,424 Posts
I know your looking at B&W, they do offer some adjustability like @MtCamper mentioned. With that said here's a tape measure on my standard bed, tape is hooked on the front edge of the bed by the glass, so the distance between the bed and glass is not taken into consideration.

This is also with my Curt A20 which is not adjustable forward or backwards and is pretty much centered over the goose hole.

Automotive lighting Bumper Helmet Automotive exterior Automotive tire

· Registered
1,424 Posts
Here's a couple pics with my standard bed and Curt non sliding hitch with the truck in the driveway. Wanted to see how far It would turn. Wouldn't ever recommend jacking a trailer like this, hard on the axles and I've never came close to this since we have had the truck. Different hitch and different trailer but thought it might give a reference for you, I was concerned also but pleasantly not had to make a change. My back up plan was going to be something like a Reese Sidewinder if needed. Haven't needed it yet. Guessing you won't either if your nose is rounded like most new fifth wheels.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Cloud Land vehicle

Wheel Cloud Tire Land vehicle Sky

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Vehicle Automotive exterior

· Registered
2,596 Posts
Here's a couple pics with my standard bed and Curt non sliding hitch with the truck in the driveway. Wanted to see how far It would turn. Wouldn't ever recommend jacking a trailer like this, hard on the axles and I've never came close to this since we have had the truck. Different hitch and different trailer but thought it might give a reference for you, I was concerned also but pleasantly not had to make a change. My back up plan was going to be something like a Reese Sidewinder if needed. Haven't needed it yet. Guessing you won't either if your nose is rounded like most new fifth wheels.
View attachment 1110261
View attachment 1110262
View attachment 1110263
Looks good. What's the width of your trailer?

· Registered
1,424 Posts
Standard 8'. If we ever go to larger 8.5 fifth wheel I'll prolly end up going with something like a sidewinder pin box. Hopefully won't have to worry about that for a few years.

FWIW - I don't miss our auto slide we had in the small truck, backing is so much easier without it. There's a dead spot with an auto slide where the trailer isn't moving backward as much due to the auto slide moving and this tends to put you in a jacked position quicker then one would think.

· Premium Member
2021 Denali HD DRW, 2021 Alliance Paradigm 310RL
253 Posts
View attachment 1110261
View attachment 1110262
View attachment 1110263
Cleanest bed I’ve ever seen!

· Registered
1,424 Posts
Cleanest bed I’ve ever seen!
not bad but not as clean now. Between the tool box and firewood. That was the first weekend off after we picked up the truck last April and I was setting up the fifth wheel. It still had that New Bed Smell then 🤣 😅🤣

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 1110261
View attachment 1110262
View attachment 1110263
Your pin sits fwd of cap. Mine is just shy. Wondering if that will make a difference?
I have a turning point pin box but I don't want to use the pivoting box.
I hear it trailers crappy that way.
Sky Plant Tree Travel trailer Vehicle

I still don't have my truck so I can't even back it up to trailer to make measurements.
I wanted to have hitch ordered but I'm waiting til the truck is in my possession. You never know......
Sorry for the crappy picture. Best one on my phone here at work.

· Registered
380 Posts
here is the slider installed , only pulled once but it was smooth as glass.

Attachments

· Registered
2019 Chevy 2500 Ltz duramax
635 Posts
If you search the long box vs short box thread I have started from a few months ago it has a lot of helpful information in it about this. It answered a lot of the questions I had and will probably just go with a regular box 3500 instead of a long box.
I would post the link but I don’t know if I am computer savvy enough for that.

· Registered
1,424 Posts

· Registered
1,424 Posts
Your pin sits fwd of cap. Mine is just shy. Wondering if that will make a difference?
I have a turning point pin box but I don't want to use the pivoting box.
I hear it trailers crappy that way. View attachment 1110269
I still don't have my truck so I can't even back it up to trailer to make measurements.
I wanted to have hitch ordered but I'm waiting til the truck is in my possession. You never know......
Sorry for the crappy picture. Best one on my phone here at work.
Yep from your photo I understand your concern. They have that pin box tucked under there pretty good. Mine extends out a few inch's. Looked on my phone and don't have a good pic of it but found this website pic that shows the difference. I'm with you, either wait for the truck or order a slider.

The Demco or Pullrite brands are the best out there for auto sliders. There are a few guys on here that can speak to one or the other. The nice thing about the Demco is the capture bars are built into the head of the hitch so when you disconnect your fifth wheel pin box looks just like any other. The the Pullrite you have to mount a "capture plate" onto your pin box, mind you the newer capture plates go on and off relatively easily. I point out these two differences because if your truck ever breaks down and you need it towed and your camper towed there is a high probability that whoever tows your camper will have a standard fifth wheel and being able to restore it to standard simply is essential.

If you decide on a slider personally I would highly recommend an auto slider like the pullrite or demco. No one wants to worry about that tight fuel station, or should I hold up traffic to slide or not, it takes care of itself. I towed with pullrite auto slide for 12 years and it was solid. Only downside I can think of and simple repositioning usually takes care of it is the truck can't be at too sharp of an angle to disconnect. If repositioning is not an option to straighten the truck out a bit then you can unpin the head and lift it off, had this happen once in 12 years.

here's another thread with some good info building also.

(8) 5th wheels for dummies | Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (duramaxforum.com)

• Helpful
1 - 20 of 36 Posts