Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
2022 Chevrolet 3500 High Country CC
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yep from your photo I understand your concern. They have that pin box tucked under there pretty good. Mine extends out a few inch's. Looked on my phone and don't have a good pic of it but found this website pic that shows the difference. I'm with you, either wait for the truck or order a slider.

The Demco or Pullrite brands are the best out there for auto sliders. There are a few guys on here that can speak to one or the other. The nice thing about the Demco is the capture bars are built into the head of the hitch so when you disconnect your fifth wheel pin box looks just like any other. The the Pullrite you have to mount a "capture plate" onto your pin box, mind you the newer capture plates go on and off relatively easily. I point out these two differences because if your truck ever breaks down and you need it towed and your camper towed there is a high probability that whoever tows your camper will have a standard fifth wheel and being able to restore it to standard simply is essential.

If you decide on a slider personally I would highly recommend an auto slider like the pullrite or demco. No one wants to worry about that tight fuel station, or should I hold up traffic to slide or not, it takes care of itself. I towed with pullrite auto slide for 12 years and it was solid. Only downside I can think of and simple repositioning usually takes care of it is the truck can't be at too sharp of an angle to disconnect. If repositioning is not an option to straighten the truck out a bit then you can unpin the head and lift it off, had this happen once in 12 years.

here's another thread with some good info building also.

(8) 5th wheels for dummies | Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (duramaxforum.com)
Thanks Satar, I appreciate all the good information.
I think I'll wait to get my truck. (I was told tonight it is in AZ today by rail) hopefully I see it soon. 馃
As far as LB vs SB this truck will also be my daily driver for a couple years til I can retire (hopefully) and I don't tow a ton so that's why I went with SB. Hope I'm not sorry.... big investment in these trucks, it's gonna have to last me awhile. My current truck is a '14.

Registered
Ya I know you've been waiting, hope it lands soon and I don't think you'll be sorry at all. Week before last we were at a campground in Florida, some tight spots. Watched a guy come in and back into a spot next to us with a standard bed and fifth wheel, he nailed it no problem. A few days later a guy came in with a fifth and longed, there was a retaining wall along the road and with the longer wheel base and similar sized trailers he struggled. May have been just the driver but length is length.

Set her up right and you'll fall in love with the truck quickly.

Reactions: OrcuttHD

Premium Member
I seemed to have excessive chucking with the short bed. I replaced the pin box with a MoRryde cushioned pin box which reduced chucking. BTW, I have a Reese 20k slider and haven't had to use it yet.

Registered
I seemed to have excessive chucking with the short bed. I replaced the pin box with a MoRryde cushioned pin box which reduced chucking. BTW, I have a Reese 20k slider and haven't had to use it yet.
My 07 2500 cummins short bed was bad with the chucking/nose bobbing, I started running with a full tank of water and it helped quite a bit, eased some of the pressure off the pin.

With this 3500 standard bed it doesn't seem to care rather there's water in the tanks or not but it's a lot heavier vehicle than the old dodge and not even a fair comparison capacity wise.

Registered
Howdy,
Help please.
Just purchased a 23 3500HD crew SRW with standard 6'9" bed w/ factory puck system.

Looking at B&W companion 20k 5er hitch. I was going to get slider but B&W said with new truck slider is not needed. Puck system already sits further back than previous gen trucks. I asked, so NO cab clearance issues if I get a non-slider RVK3710 and she said yes.
Anyone out there have this set up and confirm it's good to go?

TIA
Replying without reading ahead.

Most newer FWs have rounded fronts that make sliders mostly unnecessary. My old Komfort FW, with a very square front, would NOT hit my '02 D'max turning right or left when going forward, and I have the old 16k Companion in its most forward position on a Turnover Ball mount. ALL FWs will hit the cab in =reverse=, a slider just gives you a bit more room before you =will= hit. I'm currently looking at new trucks and will get the OEM FW/GN option and have zero plans for any sort of a slider.

Lyle

Registered
OrcuttHD FWIW the best 5th hitch is none in ocer 30yrs RVing I'm on 3rd 5ver on 2nd D'max and 2nd Reese Pinbox 1st was 5th Airborne with Sidewinder on Anderson Ultimate in SB Silverado CCDA. Current on My '15 Sierra SLT 3500 4x4 DCDA DRW I ordered in 4'14 is Reese Goose box 4/20k# on 18k# Fuzion 375 just have 2 5/16" ball in bed no back ache to remove and 5" travel of air to save the trailer on deferred maintenance hwys and fire roads. Happy Camping

Attachments

Registered
2022 GMC 3500HD SLT CCSB Cayenne Red, Gooseneck/5th Wheel Deposit 3/22 Accepted 4/22 Rec'd 7/22
Howdy,
Help please.
Just purchased a 23 3500HD crew SRW with standard 6'9" bed w/ factory puck system.

Looking at B&W companion 20k 5er hitch. I was going to get slider but B&W said with new truck slider is not needed. Puck system already sits further back than previous gen trucks. I asked, so NO cab clearance issues if I get a non-slider RVK3710 and she said yes.

TIA
I towed 4 years with a 2017 3500 standard bed with B&W turnover ball. Although not identical to your puck system, close enough I think. I could easily get about 70 degrees of turn which was good enough for any campground including State parks. Yes, sometimes had to pull up and back a few times but so what. I've since bought a 2022 3500 with factory gooseneck prep, and use a Goosebox on my 5er. Night and day difference and could, I repeat could get 90 degrees now but I still don't ever go much past 70 degrees.

Registered
2022 Chevy 2500HD High Country
Howdy,
Help please.

TIA
Have this exact setup as of this week. No clearance issues. Made a u-turn in my storage lot that I normally couldn鈥檛 do with my 2019 and rail setup, and that one never had an issue. Have it set it the most rearward position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Have this exact setup as of this week. No clearance issues. Made a u-turn in my storage lot that I normally couldn鈥檛 do with my 2019 and rail setup, and that one never had an issue. Have it set it the most rearward position.

Excellent, thank you!
Got my new truck last night.
Ordering hitch today.
What height did you go with?
Thank you!

Registered
Excellent, thank you!
Got my new truck last night.
Ordering hitch today.
What height did you go with?
Thank you!
I had to set it at the lowest height. I first set it up at mid height because that鈥檚 where I had the B&W Patriot 16K on my 2019. This bed must be more shallow as I had to lower it. Still 7鈥 clearance. The base is actually not very heavy at all. I鈥檒l probably pull this one out when we don鈥檛 tow for extended periods. You鈥檒l like it.

• Helpful

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So, got my BWRVK3710 installed.
Question /opinions:
I'm in the middle of height adjustment, I could go 1 inch higher if needed? My trailer is dang near level, very slightly nose down according to level.
I've got 6" bed clearance now.

I've got my pivot arms in rearward position so that puts my kingpin 3.5" behind axle. B&W says that is ok on new GM's. I've got 48.5" clearance from outer corner of trailer to cab. Clears all but center 1' of rear glass. I haven't tried shard turn yet to confirm, just measurements.
I was surprised how much it dropped my 3500. My trailer is light, 10k, and almost empty. Maybe it was optical illusion or uneven surface but looking at it it appeared to squat the rear to much?? I forgot to measure how much it dropped.
Maybe because I'm 3.5" behind axle? Seems like this trailer shouldn't drop a 3500 much at all!?
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Land vehicle

Sky Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive design Audio equipment Machine Bumper

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Registered
I鈥檒l be curious to here what others say, but all these trucks are nearly level, so any load will drop it a little in the bag. Also, even a few inches is some serious lever when talking about 2000lbs. I think. Trying to recall physics from years ago.

Mine is a 2500 with Timbrens and you can see a slight sag in the rear here too. Hitch is setup like yours. I thought about moving it forward.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I鈥檒l be curious to here what others say, but all these trucks are nearly level, so any load will drop it a little in the bag. Also, even a few inches is some serious lever when talking about 2000lbs. I think. Trying to recall physics from years ago.

Mine is a 2500 with Timbrens and you can see a slight sag in the rear here too. Hitch is setup like yours. I thought about moving it forward.

My 3500 definitely sits ass up unloaded.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Automotive tire

Registered
Ok. The 2500鈥檚 sit pretty level in comparison.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts