Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
It’s funny you say that because Duramax is the only one of the three that is giving 100% of torque in first gear.

however, I agree that it’s an absolute pooch off the line! But I think most of that is tuning because of soot accumulation when trying to take off from a dig.
Easily fixable with a Petal Ranger.. Increasing the signal to the T/B = zoom! Must go easy…

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I subscribe to GM Authority Daily Digest and a few days ago, one writer posted a blurb that the 23 or possibly 24 will offer a Duramax with the 500 HP option. So it's supposedly in the works. He said they have been road testing a version, Personally, I believe with an aftermarket controller for now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
. They're already higher HP and near the same torque as the first semi trucks I drove back in the 80's that would take 80,000# through the mountains. Are we going to have Class 8 drivelines next to handle the power?
Yeah the good ol 350 Cummins, 350 HP and 1150 ft/lb torque out of 855 cu-in. Weighs about what an entire 3/4 ton pickup does so that tells you something is bit different inside. Feed my family working on those things, more inframe overhauls than I can count.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yeah the good ol 350 Cummins, 350 HP and 1150 ft/lb torque out of 855 cu-in. Weighs about what an entire 3/4 ton pickup does so that tells you something is bit different inside. Feed my family working on those things, more inframe overhauls than I can count.
Oh come on now, they don't weigh an ounce over a 1/2 ton pickup:) I still have an old small cam 350 Cummins with a 13spd that I enjoy driving for harvest every fall. I'm not a coal roller but once a year I do lay a trail.

The difference between those big heavy Cummins engines and a Duramax with similar power is the 855 will do it for 100's of thousands of miles without blowing head gaskets or overheating. You might have to drop in a new PT pump but when it goes out it doesn't wreck your entire fuel system either. The water pump is a lot easier to replace. I could go on and on but you already know all that stuff.

Just seems like we're already stretching the capabilities of a 400 ci engine. Not sure how reliable or durable it will be at 500hp and 1000+ ft lbs of torque. Maybe they oughta start considering boring or stroking the 6.6, or both?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pedal monster changes that.
I can attest. Its not bull...
Easily fixable with a Petal Ranger.. Increasing the signal to the T/B = zoom! Must go easy…
Yeah anyone driving a new one, with out a pedal monster on their truck is missing out.
Ok, answer me this, how does the pedal monster help my truck get out of the hole faster when I mash the pedal to the floor, 100% throttle. Does the pedal Sasquatch give me 150% throttle??? I’m not going to spend money on something that I can accomplish by simply pushing the pedal further with my foot for free.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just read an article where it is rumored that the 2023 Duramax have a jump in power ..! Anyone else hear or read this ..?
Why in the world do we need more power? My 2020 produces so much stock torque I’m hesitant to floor it in 1st, 2nd or 3rd because I can just see in my mind the damage all that brute power is doing to the driveline. I plan on this truck being my last as I drag my 5th wheel coast to coast.

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
Yes it does. It changes the mapping along the entire curve and will apply full throttle sooner than when your pedal hits the floor. You have to think of the pedal stroke in the domain of time. For the arguments sake, let's say it took you a full second to mash the throttle pedal.

Time, Actual pedal position%, pedal monster commanded %

I don't know the actual mapping of course, but that's the simplest way to put it.

Reactions: 77cruiser

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why in the world do we need more power? My 2020 produces so much stock torque I’m hesitant to floor it in 1st, 2nd or 3rd because I can just see in my mind the damage all that brute power is doing to the driveline. I plan on this truck being my last as I drag my 5th wheel coast to coast.
Agreed. However, why be afraid to floor it?? I floor it all the time with heavy trailers hooked up, pedal wouldn’t go all the way to the floor if you weren’t supposed to push it that far.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes it does. It changes the mapping along the entire curve and will apply full throttle sooner than when your pedal hits the floor. You have to think of the pedal stroke in the domain of time. For the arguments sake, let's say it took you a full second to mash the throttle pedal.

Time, Actual pedal position%, pedal monster commanded %

I don't know the actual mapping of course, but that's the simplest way to put it.
you say “yes it does”, so you are implying that it gives me 150% throttle??? Lol! Products like these are the greatest marketing scam ever. How long does it take to floor it? 1/4 second maybe? even if the pedal Sasquatch applies 100% throttle 1/10 of a second quicker, what will that do for me?? These products make a vehicle feel quicker to people that don’t floor their vehicles, they don’t know what it’s like to floor a vehicle, so they get this thing, and they give it half throttle, the Sasquatch gives them 80 or 90% throttle and they are amazed. Fact is, they could just push the pedal further. Another fact, the pedal Sasquatch does not make the vehicle quicker.

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
Sigh, I tried. I have floored the truck before and after. I admitted my numbers were arbitrary for the sake of discussion. I NEVER stated the pedal monster will deliver more than 100% throttle to the truck. My "yes it does" comment was stating the truck is quicker off the line.
The pedal monster will apply full throttle to the truck before your foot hits the floor. You asked how it makes the truck faster from a stop, and that's how. Whether it's a tenth of a second or whatever amount of time, full throttle will be applied sooner than pedal actually reaching the end of it's travel. That is a FACT.
It's not a scam, it's called software and hardware engineering.
Not going to engage a keyboard cowboy any further. There's a lot of people on here including myself happy with the system and glad we bought it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’m glad you are happy with it. I take offense at the name calling, but that’s your prerogative.

I’m just saying, it’s not for people that already drive with their foot to the floor all the time. That’s the way I drive. And I’m not going to spend that kind of money to tell the truck 100% throttle less than 1/10 of a second sooner when it still takes the thing half a minute to figure out what gear it’s in, what gear might possibly be the best, and then realize I want it to accelerate and actually start moving, especially from a rolling stop.

And yes, it’s a well established scam. But, if you can name call, I can have my opinion. 🤝

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Don't be afraid to mash it in 1st or 2nd or 3rd. It'll fall flat on its face anyway unless you get the pedal monster. Which I am working on. My 2 former LMMs and former LML were much more responsive vs my L5P

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't be afraid to mash it in 1st or 2nd or 3rd. It'll fall flat on its face anyway unless you get the pedal monster. Which I am working on. My 2 former LMMs and former LML were much more responsive vs my L5P
Im not trying to be a jerk, a prick, or carry out some mission as a “keyboard cowboy”, but now someone is saying that the pedal Sasquatch will make the truck not “fall on its face”. It will have no such affect. It is a throttle sensitivity BOOSTER, that is it. It adds no power, doesn’t change any engine tuning parameters, nor make the truck run differently. It simply boosts sensitivity. It’s marketing genius. I applaud them, I wish I would’ve thought of it.

·
Registered
2021 3500HD GMC Denali
96 Posts
Sigh, I tried. I have floored the truck before and after. I admitted my numbers were arbitrary for the sake of discussion. I NEVER stated the pedal monster will deliver more than 100% throttle to the truck. My "yes it does" comment was stating the truck is quicker off the line.
The pedal monster will apply full throttle to the truck before your foot hits the floor. You asked how it makes the truck faster from a stop, and that's how. Whether it's a tenth of a second or whatever amount of time, full throttle will be applied sooner than pedal actually reaching the end of it's travel. That is a FACT.
It's not a scam, it's called software and hardware engineering.
Not going to engage a keyboard cowboy any further. There's a lot of people on here including myself happy with the system and glad we bought it.
Just a quick question, are you sure how that works? I thought the pedal monster took away the “soft” throttle by removing the safety parameters, and give the truck more power down and throttle response down low. I was sure that’s what the explanation that banks gave when I watched the vid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a quick question, are you sure how that works? I thought the pedal monster took away the “soft” throttle by removing the safety parameters, and give the truck more power down and throttle response down low. I was sure that’s what the explanation that banks gave when I watched the vid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From Banks,

What does the PedalMonster do?
PedalMonster is the first OBD-II connected throttle sensitivity controller for gas and diesel vehicles. In basic terms, it changes the pedal position in relation to the throttle to get rid of that mushy feel. In many of today’s cars and trucks, auto manufacturers have implemented what’s known as “throttle enrichment delay.” This is a fancy term for sponge pedal. Why would manufacturers want your car or truck to have a pedal that feels like your stepping on a wet sponge? If manufacturers gave you the immediate response you wanted, you’d likely use more fuel launching at green lights and squirting around town. In theory, by making the pedal input slower to react, it saves fuel. But the byproduct is a boring driving experience.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Since this thread is already significantly hijacked....

It's a serious bump in the butt dyno. As i understand it, correct me if anyone else can elaborate further. I looked a lot in to this before I did it but I will get mad if anyone does any mod before this one, it's seriously that much of a difference.

You have 10 different "levels" to adjust, within 3 different categories. It starts at "stock" which I don't have to explain. As you increase it goes 1-10 through the "city" setting, then 1-10 in sport, then 1-10 in track. Essentially, 30 different levels. Personally, I daily in sport 3 (essentially +13) feels perfect. I have raced a few people and never put it higher than 6 track because i just spin my Duratracs unless I'm rolling.

It has a built in algorithm which multiply the input based upon your accelerator pedal input. I don't know what they are exactly, but for numbers simplicity, if you input 10% throttle itll immediately give you 40% etc. It eliminates the dead pedal because it'll increase the line voltage which gives it immediate input. If you watch it, there is a blue bar that will vary based upon user input, then a red bar behind it that shows the input the pedal monster is sending.

I have not timed any of my pulls, however I can promise its significant. Derringer 3 pedal sport 3 and I took an infinity Q60 coupe by over two car lengths from a dig to 65. He was CALM. I have nothing else done

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Or if you wanted 40% throttle, you could, ya know, push the pedal 40% of the way down.
Your username is quite fitting

Yes, theoretically. And once your computer does its calculations of fuel for emissions requirements and controlled load on your transmission, youll get to your 40. At that point ill be at 60, and my pedal 40 will be your 80, 3 seconds earlier.

Roll a stop sign and go wide open. Youll start leaning waiting for the power to kick in, which will about 2 seconds later. If your truck doesn't do that, then congratulations because GM gave you their only truck with a different ECM than what was programmed and engineering in their development.

@GoBlowSnow has been saving for one for a bit. Buy it and try it out for a week. If you determine your factory ECU was programmed identically to what the pedal monster will provide you, sell it to him as a used unit for 80% of what you paid for it.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts