Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys been doing as much research as I can on the potential refresh and power updates to the 2023 GM HD’s. To give a little background, I ordered a 2022 AT4 back in August from a fleet company my company works with. Everything was good to go then get a call a few weeks ago said the lost allocation and I happened to be on the backend of the orders. My options are to wait and see if more allocation is alloted to them or wait for a 2023. Guy told me they could take pre-orders for 2023’s next May. That’s what I have to go on so far right or wrong.

My question pertains to whether or not the first round of 2023’s will have the refresh (like the half tons are getting for 2022) and the new L5P? From what reading I’ve done sounds like the refresh won’t hit till the 2024 model. My fear is it would be a 2023.5 or something like that and if I order on the front end of the 2023’s I’ll be screwed. I really don’t want to order a 23 if we are so close to the model refresh and power upgrades. No one likely knows for sure what will happen, but any insight is appreciated. Quite frankly I’m almost relieved I won’t be in a 2022 because I think there will be some bugs in them with this chip fiasco.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was thinking about this when I ordered my 22 in July. Here was my thought process.

1) We don't know when the refresh will be done. Everyone thought 2023 then changed their minds to 2024, then they saw the testers on the road and went back to 2023. The exact time frame is still unknown.

2) We don't know the exact specs, look or feel. More than likely it will have more power, more tech, and a nicer fit and finish on the interior which is needed when you're comparing it to a ram or ford. I believe I read the torque will be something like 1,100 ftlbs and the HP will be over 500. So that would be a 190ftlb increase on torque which is nice, but 910 is still a ton!

3) Tech: I don't want to spend close to 80k+ to have a severely outdated vehicle in less than a year. With that being said, the current gen, while not refined fit and finish wise, offers the majority of the tech and creature comforts of the competition, minus adaptive cruise control. Yes the screen is small compared to new models, but the same information is being presented. Google play looks cool, but I'm an apple guy and will use CarPlay more than likely anyways. The digital dash also is really cool, but all of the information displayed is still the same info I can look at today, it's just presented in a really cool fashion.

4) Exterior: I love the looks of the current gen HD exterior. I'm pretty sure the refresh will look great too, but it doesn't mean the current gen is not a great looking truck.

5) Reliability: If the refresh was out, I'd have no problem buying it right away. I do take some comfort knowing though the current gen has been out for a few years and a lot of the problems have been/are being worked out.

6) Price: This is the biggest one for me. Given the new Denali 1500 is over 80k for a loaded model, I can only imagine the HD trucks will approach/cross the 6 figure line. Having more torque, nicer fit and finish, and a beautiful truck are definitely on my lists of wants, but not for the price they'll most likely be offered at. Given the state of inflation in the country, I'm of the buy now mindset to avoid having to pay more later.

While not a truck, I went through the same set of questions when I purchased my M1 MacBook Pro. I bought it in January of this year. Everyone said the refresh with more ports, and a slightly larger screen, better camera, were coming in May, but they never did. While the new laptops just came out. Mine still performs more than enough for what I need.

I guess my point is, you'll never be able to have the "best" "newest" unless you're willing to pay for it all the time. New innovations and advancements will be coming out constantly. At some point you need to pull the trigger.

Now in your situation, I would call some large volume dealers. See if they have allocations or cancelled sales you can get your name on. Get the truck you want if you're able to. If you're not, then I wouldn't think waiting for the refresh would be a problem as long as you're willing to wait. Like I said, the refresh was mentioned to be pushed out to the 2024 models just a few months ago before they speculated it will be the 2023 model. Depending on supply chain issues, development, and testing, you could be waiting a long time, but that's the real unknown.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Marketing 101 says says to have new features and abilities available frequently so that those that want the latest and greatest to have a reason to update.

There are those that update every year -- just because they can.
Doesn't mean everyone has to do that.

Not everyone wants to take the depreciation $ for the first few years after new.
This makes it so there is always someone out there wanting to buy the trade-in.

Last I heard they don't send road-worth trades to the crusher.

Until the new truck inventory rises closer to normal, trade in values are going to stay high. Otoh, there are also less deal sweeteners available for the same inventory reason.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about this when I ordered my 22 in July. Here was my thought process.

1) We don't know when the refresh will be done. Everyone thought 2023 then changed their minds to 2024, then they saw the testers on the road and went back to 2023. The exact time frame is still unknown.

2) We don't know the exact specs, look or feel. More than likely it will have more power, more tech, and a nicer fit and finish on the interior which is needed when you're comparing it to a ram or ford. I believe I read the torque will be something like 1,100 ftlbs and the HP will be over 500. So that would be a 190ftlb increase on torque which is nice, but 910 is still a ton!

3) Tech: I don't want to spend close to 80k+ to have a severely outdated vehicle in less than a year. With that being said, the current gen, while not refined fit and finish wise, offers the majority of the tech and creature comforts of the competition, minus adaptive cruise control. Yes the screen is small compared to new models, but the same information is being presented. Google play looks cool, but I'm an apple guy and will use CarPlay more than likely anyways. The digital dash also is really cool, but all of the information displayed is still the same info I can look at today, it's just presented in a really cool fashion.

4) Exterior: I love the looks of the current gen HD exterior. I'm pretty sure the refresh will look great too, but it doesn't mean the current gen is not a great looking truck.

5) Reliability: If the refresh was out, I'd have no problem buying it right away. I do take some comfort knowing though the current gen has been out for a few years and a lot of the problems have been/are being worked out.

6) Price: This is the biggest one for me. Given the new Denali 1500 is over 80k for a loaded model, I can only imagine the HD trucks will approach/cross the 6 figure line. Having more torque, nicer fit and finish, and a beautiful truck are definitely on my lists of wants, but not for the price they'll most likely be offered at. Given the state of inflation in the country, I'm of the buy now mindset to avoid having to pay more later.

While not a truck, I went through the same set of questions when I purchased my M1 MacBook Pro. I bought it in January of this year. Everyone said the refresh with more ports, and a slightly larger screen, better camera, were coming in May, but they never did. While the new laptops just came out. Mine still performs more than enough for what I need.

I guess my point is, you'll never be able to have the "best" "newest" unless you're willing to pay for it all the time. New innovations and advancements will be coming out constantly. At some point you need to pull the trigger.

Now in your situation, I would call some large volume dealers. See if they have allocations or cancelled sales you can get your name on. Get the truck you want if you're able to. If you're not, then I wouldn't think waiting for the refresh would be a problem as long as you're willing to wait. Like I said, the refresh was mentioned to be pushed out to the 2024 models just a few months ago before they speculated it will be the 2023 model. Depending on supply chain issues, development, and testing, you could be waiting a long time, but that's the real unknown.

Good luck and let us know

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
I’m guessing the refresh won’t be till 2024 model at this point. I plan on keeping my 2015 as it only has 90K on it and has been trouble free. Probably ought to put a lift pump on for piece of mind but otherwise been a great pickup. I was needing a backup for my 2015 for my business and used prices are retarded around here. This fleet company I was dealing with at least offered good discounts and I could get into a new one for less money than used. But unfortunately have to play the wait and see game. It would just suck if I got a 2023 a year from now and 6 months later the 24’s came out. But at the same time if the MSRP is 10% higher maybe I’d rather have a 22/23. Gotta think with a refresh and new power they are gonna go up. Nice thing about the 22 I had ordered was the MSRP was the same as the 2021 model for identical builds. I’m sure that won’t be the case with the new model.

·
Registered
174 Posts
In my opinion, I think we've got at least 2 more model years (2024) before the HD trucks catch up to the new 1500 series. The folks over on the ford forums are asking the same question, ever since the new F150 interiors came out. And I think they've got at least 3-4 years before the superduty trucks look like the F150's.

Realistically with supply chain being what it is, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see HD trucks not getting a refresh for 3 or more model years.

If you read the HD marketing material, I get the feeling GM doesn't think the 2020+ HD interior is out of sync with what people want. Hell, even Ford only this year bumped up the high end trucks to a bigger screen. Other tech features (supercruise, or even basic adaptive cruise) is probably a few years out on the GM HD's as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts