Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
I will give my 2 cents. I’m from PA
just got my class A non cdl a few months ago. For this reason. I’ve been towing everything from. TT fifth wheels all My current one is a 40’ toyhauler. Gvw 17000 lbs. it is 6 years old. Was pulling it with a 2005 3500Srw. Pulled fine. Stopping was the problem lol. Upgraded to a 2020 Denali DRW last year.
I found out last year that it’s not just GCVW over 26,001. It is if the truck and tow vehicle CAN be over that weight and also you must have a class A if your trailer can weigh over 10,001. It can be non cdl if not used for your business. I got it because I was not afraid of getting a ticket from a cop or weigh station. The problem comes in if your ever in an accident you can be sited for not having a license. Even if it’s not your fault. Lawyers and insurance companies will go for that.
hope that helps
Check this link - RV Driver's License Requirements In Every State | Campanda Magazine

Also from website - License Types & Restrictions (pa.gov)

Classes of Driver's Licenses
Non-commercial Driver's Licenses

• CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).
  • CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.