Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a lot of reading and searching, and still have a few specific questions that I'm hoping I can get help with. I know that look and grill and wheels are personal preference, not asking about any of that.

I'm looking at 2017-2018 used 2500HD Duramax and am deciding between High Country and Denali. Specifically:

1) Does Denali magnetic ride control make much difference over HC suspension?
2) Do either of these trucks have active noise cancellation?
3) Is the HC leather seat really softer/more comfortable than Denali (I've seen this mentioned a bit)
4) Are Denali headlights really much better than HC?
5) Anything else I'll miss in a HC vs. Denali?

Thanks in advance for any help. I find it hard to come up with all the details on the differences in the trucks.

·
Registered
2019 Silverado CCSB LTZ 4x4
69 Posts
I shopped both of these trucks as well. I can chime in with what I know.
#1 no magnetic ride in the 2500/3500 I believe that’s a 1500 thing

#2 no noise cancelation that I know of

#3 I always thought Denali had the nicer leather, but I’ll defer to a high country owner as it might be on par with a Denali.

#4 I have driven both and think the GMC headlights in these models are better than the Chevy. I have a Chevy and did LEDs which is definitely a must do upgrade IMO.

#5 only thing else I can think of besides looks is the Denali gauge cluster which is digital vs analog for the Chevy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, really great info! So far I've test driven a '16 Denali, will drive a '17 HC hopefully this weekend which should help with the seat comfort question. I've decided the gauge cluster is just not a big factor for me either way.

I go back and forth .... I had pretty much decided I liked the looks of the Denali and would go that way. Then I saw a few HC's that looked good, had as far as I could see all the options of a Denali, and were a fair amount less money for similar miles. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something feature-wise before I make the decision.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
A '16 dmax will be an LML ('11 thru '16)
A '17+ will be an L5P

The L5P in the 20+ has some changes for cooling and gets the new HD 10 speed trans instead of the 6 speed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I should have clarified. I test drove the '16 because it was very close to home and very clean, but passed due to price. Since then I've narrowed to '17-'18 because of the L5P. I just figured the seats in the '16 and '17 were likely unchanged.

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
I can personally attest to the fact that the HC headlights suck from the factory. There are many upgrade options from mild to wild. People do have decent success with HIDs in the Chevy projectors. LEDs in the stock headlight housings are hit or miss.

·
Registered
2019 Silverado CCSB LTZ 4x4
69 Posts
Viper do you know if the leather in your high country is the same as a Denali? I know the Denali’s leather I s a step above an SLT or LTZ but curious about high country.
I was really set on a Denali but wanted a 17-19 body style and ran across an LTZ with really low miles (4k) that i couldn’t pass up.

FWIW really happy with my truck and I’ve made some mods to make it my style anyhow so not mad I didn’t go Denali.

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
@CenCalL5P , not sure to be honest with you. Haven't been inside of a similar year Denali yet. The HC interior has the two tone interior over the lower trims, but it felt the same to me.

·
Registered
2015 Chevy 2500hd ltz
101 Posts
I personally think that the headlights in both suck. I changed out both trucks. I also think my leather in my Chevy is softer than my wife’s Denali and I like my leather better. Now her Denali I think is a much nicer display than my Chevy. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you mention display, do you mean the driver's display with Denali having virtual gauges vs. the semi-round gauges in the HC? Or the difference in the middle of dash display? I kind of like the HC driver's display, but seems like the center display is a bit small compared to the big screen on the Denali. I use Android Auto to display nav on the screen in my current truck and wonder if the HC screen would be a bit small for that.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4WD Crew Cab, SWB, LT275/70 R18
7 Posts
For what it's worth, I spent over two years shopping for my Dmax. Much like you, I had narrowed down the field to a 2017 - 2019 Denali or HC. Performance under the hood was identical and I was ok with any of the interior trim differences. Ultimately, a 2018 2500 Denali with low near no miles came up at a sweet price and search over. I love my truck! It's a huge upgrade over my previous rig and tow's our boat like there is no other. On a long car haul we cruised over Mtn passes and cruised the highway in luxury and comfort. My wife and I enjoy the adjustability of driver and passenger seating and she although a little intimidated by it's size she can handle it like a Hotshot. As for the interior, I admit one of the first things I did was cover the front and rear leather seats with durable seat covers to protect the leather from our dogs and any other abuse our travels and grand kids can bring on. Fast forward now, I've lived with my Denali for nearly two years and this truck tows / hauls like a champ, is a great rig out on the open road, handles the routine of a daily driver well and handles our four season climate without skipping a beat. My only complaint is the rear seat climate control and heating / air conditioning delivery is from a small under sized vent found under the driver and passenger seats; really GMC what were you thinking? Over all I'm sure I would have been happy with either truck; in the end we're in a Denali and love it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still searching, this may take a while ....
In a somewhat related question - I did, early in the decision making, consider a 1500, it would do everything I need to do. One problem I had in looking was I want a 6 1/2' bed and I want a crew cab. From my searches I never saw a Denali or HC 1500 with the "longer short bed", seems like every one has the 5 3/4' bed. Has anyone come across a crew cab with the 6 1/2' bed? I don't know how to search for it specifically, the various searches I use just find the truck years and trim I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure it is an option when you order a new truck but doesn't seem like anyone orders them that way.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
In a somewhat related question - I did, early in the decision making, consider a 1500, it would do everything I need to do. One problem I had in looking was I want a 6 1/2' bed and I want a crew cab. From my searches I never saw a Denali or HC 1500 with the "longer short bed", seems like every one has the 5 3/4' bed. Has anyone come across a crew cab with the 6 1/2' bed? I don't know how to search for it specifically, the various searches I use just find the truck years and trim I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure it is an option when you order a new truck but doesn't seem like anyone orders them that way.
There is a 1500 Denali standard (6.5') box in my driveway.

You can order a denali or hc 1500 with the standard (6.5) bed instead of the short bed that is so common.
Most 1500 crews on lots do seem to shortbed.
Dealers do stock many more short box than standard box 1500 crews.
I ordered mine last fall. Order was picked up right away and wait til build short. (dealer was expecting much longer)

All 1500 HC and Denali are 4wd,

FWIW, the current 1500 crew std box is a little longer than a previous gen 2500 crew std box.
OAL spec for:
'21crew 1500 std is 241.25"
21 crew 1500 short is 231.7"

2019 2500 crew standard was 239.50 OAL.
2022 2500 crew standard is 250.08 OAL

EDIT:
Sorry I wasn't paying attention.
This is a 17-19 section....dimension etc are for newer.
Anyway, we also had a 2016 1500 crew standard -- had to order it too.
Tough to find especially if specific color, trim and drivetrain also required.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've seen a couple of them, I was also cross shopping 1500s with those parameters when I was looking. They're very rare in the higher trims, and I never found a good way to search specifically for the longer bed. Here's one I found.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That one is pretty much what I'm looking for. I know a 1500 isn't a 2500, and I'm used to my '07 Duramax, but that truck is listed at $58,890 with under 30,000 miles and based on my searches a similar '19 Duramax 2500 would be over 70K. I still will focus on 2500's but will start spending some time looking at 1500's with 6.2 as an alternative now that I know there may be a few out there with the standard bed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Consumedbywater, thanks for posting that link, it really helped! I generally search using cargurus, sometimes cars.com. I hadn't been using autotrader. What I saw when I looked at the truck you linked to is that autotrader lets you choose short or extra short bed, so you are able to filter the 6'7" bed that I'm interested in. There aren't many, but by extending my search to 200 miles I was able to find enough to give me some choices. The other 2 services just have short bed and long bed so you can't differentiate between the 5'9" and 6'7" beds when you search.

So now in addition to the Denali vs. HC decision in 2500's, I'm also going to consider 1500's. Like I said, this search may take a while! Thanks for the comments and help everyone!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts