Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a towing question. I have a 2014 KZ Inferno 3712T coming in. According to the RV USA site dry weight on this 5th wheel is 12680lbs. 4420 payload. 17100 gvwr. Hitch weight 2305lbs
I just ordered a 2022 gmc denali 2500 today. I'm wonder if it will be to small to tow this camper. Should I call tomorrow and switch to the 3500?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would strongly consider a 3500 for the insurance with that load. My 2011 dually long bed towed heavy like a dream. When I hauled the same load in my 2500 it was fine but definitely less stable. With the 3500 I would forget the trailer was there for long periods on highway.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
So your GVWR on the camper is 17k - that’s max weight, loaded down with all your stuff. General rule of thumb on a 5er is your pin weight is about 20% of that. So now you’re at 3400lb+/-.

Add in passengers in the cab, the weight of the fifth wheel hitch itself, and any other assorted stuff in the bed and you’ll quickly be over the maximum 4300-4500lb payload (what I found online real quick, check me on that) of a 2022 3500SRW (depending on configuration).

You’re almost into dually territory. So yes, a 2500 is way too small.

You didn’t say if this is a crew cab? Long bed? Short bed? All that plays a part in your payload.

My 2020 3500 crew/long payload is 3651lb and my 8500-9000 lb TT makes it squat pretty good, so you’ll probably want some airbags. They help take out some of the harshness of bumps on the road as well.

Get the actual payload number off the truck with the configuration/trim you want and then go from there.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Here is the Good News................You have ordered the 2500, which means you can cancel that purchase, order a 3500 and not pay much more in the process.

If you take possession of the 2500 you will lose a bundle when you realize you need the 3500 and trade for it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Verify the payload on any truck from the sticker on the door jamb before you take possession. I got bit by the sales and technical literature overstating what my 2018 2500 payload would be. Moved up to a 3500 7 weeks later and now have plenty of payload capacity. Many will tell you the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 is the springs, that they say you can change. The load rating of the tires may be a limiting factor after the springs get upgraded.

3500 will be not much more money.

Jim

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I question the hitch weight. Toy haulers are notoriously heavy on the pin, especially with an empty garage. I've hauled many of them empty behind a Duramax dually with air bags and it was pretty well loaded. Then when you put enough in the garage to counterbalance some of the tongue weight out of it, you're getting pretty heavy on gross weight. I'm not opposed to pushing the limits but if you're going to load that rig anywhere near the gross weight rating, you'll probably appreciate more than a 2500 in front of it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I’d seriously consider dually as well. Once I towed my trailer with one (and that was a travel trailer, don’t even have an fifth wheel yet), I would have a hard time going back to SRW. The stability of the DRW towing experience, which is also helped by the long bed extended wheelbase, is fantastic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Verify the payload on any truck from the sticker on the door jamb before you take possession. I got bit by the sales and technical literature overstating what my 2018 2500 payload would be. Moved up to a 3500 7 weeks later and now have plenty of payload capacity. Many will tell you the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 is the springs, that they say you can change. The load rating of the tires may be a limiting factor after the springs get upgraded.

Jim
The 3500 is $900 difference. Nothing at all really.

·
Registered
21 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab Standard Box 4x4 Z71 with Duramax and Allison 10 speed
6 Posts

Jim

In the 2020+ the 3500 gets a different and stronger rear axle than the 2500 not just different rear springs. This was news to me that I found out about AFTER I had my 2500 for a few months. The don't highlight that very much like you think they would. I'm good with my 2500 as we ended up going with a 35 footer instead of the 44 footer we had ordered.

·
Registered
440 Posts
In the 2020+ the 3500 gets a different and stronger rear axle than the 2500 not just different rear springs. This was news to me that I found out about AFTER I had my 2500 for a few months. The don't highlight that very much like you think they would. I'm good with my 2500 as we ended up going with a 35 footer instead of the 44 footer we had ordered.
2020+ 3500’s also don’t limit the torque in first gear due to the 12” ring gear - Introducing the Next Generation 2020 Sierra Heavy Duty | GMC Life

·
Registered
161 Posts
2020+ 3500’s also don’t limit the torque in first gear due to the 12” ring gear - Introducing the Next Generation 2020 Sierra Heavy Duty | GMC Life
I’m surprised there isn’t more conversation on this. That seems like a really nice benefit of the 3500’s vs. 2500’s. In the past it seems like the difference was another leaf spring and wheels/tires. Now moving up to the 3500 really does make a big difference with the 12” rear end. I’m guessing the strength of it allows for the torque to be available right away. I’m curious if anyone has driven a 2500 and 3500 back to back to see the difference. I know when I test drove the 3500 I was looking at it had major get up and go.

·
Registered
21 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab Standard Box 4x4 Z71 with Duramax and Allison 10 speed
6 Posts

Well shit, I was a bit upset when I found out about the different rear axle, but adding this makes it even more of a difference. At this point I wish I had went with the 3500, but it will be my 2500 for a good 7-10 years as I got a great deal, and have no interest in attempting to find one at this point or go through all of that again.

Thanks for adding to that - I have tried to share the info on the different rear axle, but now will push the torque delivery as well.

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,832 Posts
From where I sit, if you are ordering a new HD truck there's not really any good reason to choose the 2500 over the 3500.

If you're looking for something on the lot that you can drive home today, well that's a different story.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yeah we just had this conversation recently on another thread. Unless you're buying for a fleet or the like to install small service beds or something like that, I don't know any other reason why you'd get a 2500. The 3500 always used to be just another leaf in the stack and a size larger tire. Now it sounds like you're actually getting more for your $900. Money well spent for the added capacity and stability IMO.

·
Registered
893 Posts
We get a deal on license on 3500 vs. 2500 here, license for my 19 was $125 a 2500 probably would've have been $650.

Reactions: nocturnalmotors
1 - 20 of 20 Posts