Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some research and when I purchased my new 2500HD on the way home I noticed some bump steer on the highway. That was with the factory 20" wheels/tires. Now that I put my BDS 6.5" lift on its much worse. Anyone else having an issue with bump steer? I know that there is a steering stabilizer that can be added but isnt that more of a bandaid than a fix? From all of the research I have been able to find, it looks like bump steer at all, stock or lifted, comes from bad suspension geometry. Just trying to get some ideas on how to resolve this, if at all.

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Tierod ends or sleeves
Pitman & Idler arm supports
Straight centerlink
Aftermarket stabilizer (Rancho 9000)

Your bump steer will be significantly reduced. Just putting my stabilizer on helped a bunch. Its just heavier than the OEM.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I have the Cognito idler arm/pitman arm support already, so i just need to have that installed. I ordered a Fabtech steering stablizer today to see if that helps too. All of the front end parts a new, between the brand new BDS lift and truck only has a few hundred miles on it. It just seems to be exaggerated with the lift/bigger wheels/tires.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. I am going to have my shop do the Cognito install, from the instructions, it looks like quite a job on these 2011 trucks.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put the Fabtech stabilizer on this morning, man what a difference! The truck goes down the highway better than stock, very very nice ride. For anyone with a lift or running larger tires, do yourself a favor and put a stabilizer on.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am just wondering what you mean by "bump steer" ? I have the 4" cognitto lift with the steering stabilizer kit & it really seems to hammer on the driver side front on rough roads , just wondering if this is similar to what you had ?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By bump steer i mean that when you hit a bump the steering wheel would want to turn itself to the left or right on its own very suddenly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
GM has a bulletin for the "bump steer" concern
go to your dealer and complain and they will put on a steering stabilizer
shock specific to the 2011-2012 hd trucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a question a little off the beatin path can i put 35'' tires on my 2500 hd with just a leveling kit on it

·
Registered
37 Posts
JOJOQUICK- GM part#25888044 is the correct stabilizer shock for the 2011-2012HD trucks. If you look underneath your truck, you will see provisions already there for this
shock. Bolts right up and makes a NOTICEABLE difference.
Initially my dealer advised me that it was NOT a warrantable item, but with a little coaxing and bitching (lol) they installed it under warranty.
If you were to buy it the total cost is like $100.
THIS WILL RESOLVE YOUR BUMP STEER ISSUE!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Typically bump steer is a result of caster being set too low. I don't know what the specs are vs older models but if they made provisions for a stabilizer then they probably saw this coming.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If the tie rod and the lower arm do not run at the same path to the kunckle the PU will move to one side with sup. travel most likely a droped pitman arm and idler arm will fix. Some gm,s have sloted holes on the idler side braket to frame you can move the arm as need to make the center link run parall to frame if the bump steer ( toe uot under load ) is the same right to left then the PU will stay stright.

·
Registered
159 Posts
think i will have to stop typeing in the dark lol cant type anyway

·
Registered
83 Posts
JOJOQUICK- GM part#25888044 is the correct stabilizer shock for the 2011-2012HD trucks. If you look underneath your truck, you will see provisions already there for this
shock. Bolts right up and makes a NOTICEABLE difference.
Initially my dealer advised me that it was NOT a warrantable item, but with a little coaxing and bitching (lol) they installed it under warranty.
If you were to buy it the total cost is like $100.
THIS WILL RESOLVE YOUR BUMP STEER ISSUE!

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know if the same problem exists on the 2013's?

I'm picking up a 2013 Denali HD 3500 truck in the next day or two. Do the 2013's have bump steer also?

I wasn't planning on putting a lift on this one since I have a 5th wheel to tow but I was going to put a readi-lift set of keys on it to level it out.

All I have to do is swap out the brand new Michelins they put on there.

Thanks,

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts