Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! I searched around a little, but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I currently have a 2003 Suburban Z71 with the 5.3l, I am planning on adding a 2004.5-2005 used Silverado 2500HD crewcab to my fleet.

I have a few questions regarding the engine options in that year, and I am looking for some real world advice and numbers.

I am debating between the 6.0 and the 6.6 diesel.

I would like to know what you guys are getting as far a fuel economy in these trucks when unloaded and stock? I don't want to hear all the duramax guys telling me how their mods helped, I want some stock highway/city numbers.

I am also new to diesel, so I am cautious of how much more general maintenance and repair costs will be for the diesel over the gasoline engines. What are some typical numbers for routine maintenance of these two engines? What kind of milage can I get from these before more major maintenance is needed? When do I need to replace injectors in the duramax?

What are the know problems with the 6.0 and 6.6? I am only looking at the LLY diesel.

For these trucks, what would you consider a good milage to buy. I am looking to spend around $19,000. I understand the diesel will be higher then the gas, but what would be a good milage for that price point considering I am getting a well loaded truck. (LT)

Thanks for all the help. I look forward to using the site.
Brennan

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Lly doesn't really have to many problems just a few upgrades ( turbo mouthpiece) to get better mileage, they don't have the injector problem like the older ones... An swapping a injector is simple from what I hear... 6.0 powerstroke?? Have you not heard of the head gasket and turbo problems? My uncle had a 6.0 and he had it at the dealer every other month for gaskets... And that is no easy job

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mileage is a lousy reason to buy a diesel..........................Doesn't matter who makes it.
The diesel will get 25-50% better mileage under the same circumstances as gas, so 10mpg gas = 12.5 to 15mpg diesel. 18mpg diesel=12-14mpg gas. Diesel cost more and maintenance is higher, so buy a gas powered truck unless you need the torque of a diesel.

Or if you have money to burn....................................................:drink
Now with that having been said, I wouldn't trade any of the diesels that I have had for a comparable gas rig.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
Stock my LBZ got about 15-16mpg unloaded on the highway.I do not know what it got loaded as the mods went on less than a week after owning it. Now I get 13-14 towing my 27ft camper. Unloaded I jumped to close to 21 and can bank on 19 in most conditions.
To change the oil in the Diesel it cost about 80 bucks. A gas rig runs about 50 bucks. You can run a diesel 10k between oil changes and a gasser will only go 3-4000. SO that saves you some coin.
The fuel filter needs to be changed every 15k on a dmax. It is pricey at 40-50 bicks depending on where you buy. You can change it yourself pretty easy. The gasser will probably go 50k on a fuel filter.
If the diesel breaks it cost more to fix but not really alot more than a gasser anymore.
The mileage will be better because a diesel is more efficient but you can only bank on breaking even on fuel cost right now with Diesel being 60+ cents more than gas.
Now once you drive and pull with a diesel you will be sold. Mine could do worse than a gasser and I would still drive it because with my 27ft camper the truck does not even know it is there.The torque it puts out is amazing (even stock)

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
Ohh, I had a 02 extended cab 4x4 with the 6.0 gasser and only knocked down 12.5 on the highway on a good day. In town it was closer to 9.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Lly doesn't really have to many problems just a few upgrades ( turbo mouthpiece) to get better mileage, they don't have the injector problem like the older ones... An swapping a injector is simple from what I hear... 6.0 powerstroke?? Have you not heard of the head gasket and turbo problems? My uncle had a 6.0 and he had it at the dealer every other month for gaskets... And that is no easy job
i think he means the mother of all gas drinkers the 6.0 chevy gas option for the HD :D

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Oh we're talking about a 6.0 gas engine

Just go test drive a diesel.. Nuff Said

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Ha my bad guess I should read more thourouly

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mine could do worse than a gasser and I would still drive it because with my 27ft camper the truck does not even know it is there.The torque it puts out is amazing (even stock)
This would be my point exactly.....................365hp and 750ftlb is just plain badass.:neener"some a little more some a little less"

·
Registered
15 Posts
my dad has a 2005 2500hd 6.0 gasser
i have a 03 duramax lb7
lemme tell ya we have a 24 foot toy hauler an we have been taking turns pulling it i get more than double the milage than he does pulling with my tow tune. that 6.0 is good if your going to do moderate pulling an need the 2500 suspension...but if your going to do some real hauling the duramax is the way to go.
once you tow with a duramax diesel you wont go back.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the great replies guys!
Most of you are correct, I am talking about the 6.0 gas. I wouldn't buy a 6.0 powerstroke if my life depended on it.

I don't really haul much that is extremely heavy. I just want to have a truck that will go the distance and have one that is fun and can be modified.

I have never owned a diesel, so I was just a little hesitant about it. I didn't know if the service was going to break the bank over a gasser. Really the only thing that concerns me with the diesel is if it is going to cost me a lot more to operate then the gasser. If it is a little more expensive that is cool, but not a few thousand each year, not so much.

How many of you use your trucks as a daily driver? That is what the duramax I would get would be. What kind of milage am I looking at for injector replacement on a LLY?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
This would be my point exactly.....................365hp and 750ftlb is just plain badass.:neener"some a little more some a little less"
Lly's have 310 hp and like 580tq...stock that is.

Get the diesel, if you tow at all you'll like it better due tofuel consumption and power. The 6.0's are mega gas suckers and they don't tow like they should..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts