Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide if I need to upgrade to a 3500HD. I currently have a 2011 2500HD that I use to tow a 14000 lb 5th wheel.

Anyone know where I can find a detailed side by side comparison of the frame/suspension/towing capacities for the 2500 and 3500?. I may choose to just beef up the 2500 HD rather than spend the $ to upgrade to a 3500Hd--but would like to know the specific differences.

Thanks

Richard:

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Sub'd, I'm interested in this as well.

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
Nit sure in nbs trucks but the ibs trucks the only difference is 1-2 leafs. For example my 3500 srw has 1 helper, 5 leafs, 1 overload. Whereas the 2500's I see have 4 leafs and 1 overload.

Another option besides leaf springs...which if you found a junk 3500 you could take the spring packs from and you'd be good, would be helper bags. You'd have plenty of capacity with an extra 5000 of holding ability.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Nit sure in nbs trucks but the ibs trucks the only difference is 1-2 leafs. For example my 3500 srw has 1 helper, 5 leafs, 1 overload. Whereas the 2500's I see have 4 leafs and 1 overload.

Another option besides leaf springs...which if you found a junk 3500 you could take the spring packs from and you'd be good, would be helper bags. You'd have plenty of capacity with an extra 5000 of holding ability.

Hope this helps
neither of those "legally" up the trucks capacity.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i have had a 2500hd and now have the 3500hd Drw and I have a fifth wheels also i love the dually so much more when I am pulling the camper rides better and the camper seems to track better thats just my two cents

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
i have had a 2500hd and now have the 3500hd Drw and I have a fifth wheels also i love the dually so much more when I am pulling the camper rides better and the camper seems to track better thats just my two cents
at least with the OBS trucks the difference in rating between and 2500hd and 3500 srw was only a couple hundred pounds. Not 100% on the NNBS ratings but if I was looking for a tow rig, it would be a dully.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had a ECSB that I used to pull a 13k pound 5th wheel. I had air bags, but other than that the suspension was stock. It did it, although hills and wind weren't fun. And the slider hitch was a huge pain in the ass.

I talked to my friends who had duallys and they convinced me it was the way to go with a 5th wheel, although I haven't pulled it yet with a dually.

The sales brochure for the 2015/2014 has a breakdown of the differences, but it just gives you the differences in capacity, not in what makes that difference a reality. The biggest and most obvious difference is the rear leafs, as Minerigger said. There are also subtle other differences, depending on year, like drive shafts, rims, tires, etc.

This also assumes the truck you are looking at is still stock.

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
neither of those "legally" up the trucks capacity.
You won't be able to "legally" up a capacity. It was set from factory and is supposed to remain there. But then we come along and can't leave anything alone

Reactions: earle9966

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
to me there isnt a significant change from the 2500 to the 3500 to justify switching. The 3500 ride is rougher. Unless your going to exceed the 2500's capacity and limits, if your not just add some suspension related items to increase the efficiency of what you got in regards to towing.

Don't over think this OP

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The major difference is in the suspension and rear end ( more leaf springs and 4.10 gear) I could get a new loaded ltz 3500 4x4--for $56,800 which my GM Family first discount. My current truck is a 2011 2500 2wd with 26,000 miles and Firestone air bags. I could sell it for around $37000 so I would need to sell my truck and come up with the about $21,000. It would cost a lot less to just add more springs to my current truck.

What would you do?

·
Registered
477 Posts
The major difference is in the suspension and rear end ( more leaf springs and 4.10 gear) I could get a new loaded ltz 3500 4x4--for $56,800 which my GM Family first discount. My current truck is a 2011 2500 2wd with 26,000 miles and Firestone air bags. I could sell it for around $37000 so I would need to sell my truck and come up with the about $21,000. It would cost a lot less to just add more springs to my current truck.

What would you do?
You can only get the 3.73 gear ratio with the duramax.

As for what would I do? It would depend on what I used the truck for. I sold my 05 with plans to upgrade to a crew cab dually because I own a 5th wheel, and maybe plan to get a bigger one, plus I needed a crew cab to accommodate my growing family.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had a 08 2500hd with about 2900 payload towing a fifth wheel rv weighing 12,000 lbs with 2400 pin. With everything in the truck hitched up, i was over the truck payload by 300 lbs or so. It also rode rough as the rear springs were maxed out. Sure I could have added airbags, but the bottom line was I was overloaded and not willing to risk anything with my family on board. I upgraded to a 3500 SRW and now towing my rv within the trucks limits, plus it rides a heck of a lot better.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It is my understanding that the 4x4 comes with a 4.10 gear
Nope. Build a truck online, once you select the duramax, the only gear ratio you can get is 3.73, regardless of trim or payload level. Everything else will be greyed out.

If you look in the brochure, it pretty much tells you the same thing.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
You won't be able to "legally" up a capacity. It was set from factory and is supposed to remain there. But then we come along and can't leave anything alone
I know right?!? Why can't I leave ANYTHING well enough alone :drink

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
I know right?!? Why can't I leave ANYTHING well enough alone :drink
Cuz we find this sight and then it's like crack...but waaaaay more expensive lol.

·
Registered
349 Posts
If comparing a SRW 2500 to a SRW 3500 you will gain payload. The payload on my CCLB 2500 is 2,135 my buddy has an identical configured 3500SRW his payload is 2,783. That is all in the rear leaf pack there is nothing else different between our truck. Oddly enough my owners manual lists the 3500 having a towing capacity 2,100lbs above a 2500 (12,500 vs 14,600 in 4x4 long bed wich i believe is the only bedlength offered in a 3500). Somehow the stronger leafs enable it to tow more. I always thought towing=pulling and payload=carrying therefore I can understand a higher payload for a 3500 but where the 2,100 lbs pulling advantage comes from I have no clue. I have Firestone bags in my 2500 and it holds my 11K pound (loaded) 5th wheel just fine.

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
I will second that the 3500 ride is worse. Mine is like riding in a tank

1 - 20 of 173 Posts