Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I know there has been tons of talk about the differences between the 2500HD single rear wheel and the 3500HD dual rear wheel but I wanted to get some peoples opinions on the dually vs the 2500hd. I currently have the 2500hd Duramax crew cab short bed and have a deposit on a 3500hd Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed Dually. At first I was all for the dually but after thinking about it I am just worried a little bit about the added length and width of it because I will most likely be driving this as a daily driver.

During the winter it will be driven everyday but in the Spring, Summer, And Fall I have a bike and a car that I drive as well.

I will be towing a race car with this truck and also be plowing a couple parking lots and large driveways.

I would really appreaciate your opinions to help me make this decision.

Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I always thought duallys were cool when i was younger. When i was looking for my truck though, the thought didn't even cross my mind. I don't NEED a dually, more tires to buy and not as parking lot friendly. Unless you really need it, or really want it, i wouldn't get it. JMO though

·
Registered
897 Posts
I always thought duallys were cool when i was younger. When i was looking for my truck though, the thought didn't even cross my mind. I don't NEED a dually, more tires to buy and not as parking lot friendly. Unless you really need it, or really want it, i wouldn't get it. JMO though
I agree. I was the same way, when I was a kid I thought duallys were the coolest thing on earth, but as an adult, I realized I didn't need one, and didn't consider one when I bought my truck. If you have to haul heavy, there is nothing like a dually. If not... stay with a 2500HD

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
If that is all you're going to be doing with the truck then you don't need a dually. The SRW will do just fine

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Get the SRW 3500HD

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Dually's are awesome on highways, but anything in town or parking lots suck though.
My dad just dropped 2k on tires alone..

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Dually's are awesome on highways, but anything in town or parking lots suck though.
My dad just dropped 2k on tires alone..
Yep that was the deal breaker for me

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Unless you're hauling a 30ft + gooseneck frequently I personally don't see the need for a dually. A 2500 will be more than enough to push some serious powder around and tow that trailer of yours from the sounds of it. The added length is super easy to get used to, just takes maybe a week at most. It's the width that would just plain get annoying to me personally. At least with my setup I can still fit through drive throughs and tight parking spots (hehe, kind of, when i want to be a douche)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've owned 4, 1 ton dualies because I needed the extra carrying capacity they offer. They are a pain in the butt to drive around in the city. Always hitting curbs with the right rear outside tire, and finding a place to park the thing. Buying two extra tires is also a disadvantage. I just put 6 on last week for over $1k.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was in the same boat as you 4 months ago. I search for about 4 months for a nice duramax. During my searching I found that I could get a 3500 cheaper than a 2500 for the same trim. I went with the dually cause I figured you could never have enough truck. If we decided to upgrade our camper in the future the options are endless because we already have the truck. I always park way out in the parking lot no matter what I drive. So for me parking lots are the same. I hate door dings. Only issue is I am worried when the wife drives it that she is going to cut a corner and rip of the dually fenders. I would not use a long bed crew cab to plow with. It would suck to maneuver in small parking lots or even driveway.

·
Registered
263 Posts
if teh trailer your pulling is causeing yoru truck til tail wander then you might need a dually.
I have always said if you have to have a dually for the towing then get one.
if you just need a truck to tow with then get a 2500.
if you just want a truck then get a 1500..

·
Registered
263 Posts
your wife would get use to teh truck, til she's trying to put make up on and tears teh rear fender off. or you can always get a steel bed, no way to tear one of them up. Then it wont matter what you or your wife hits, til your insurance jumps. lol

·
Registered
319 Posts
Personally i'd stay with a SRW. If you have straight shot driveways and parking lots the added length won't be a problem but remember with the wider backend you'll need a 9 ft plow to clear the duals properly. I just bought a crew cab dually and its looooonggggg! Most likely i'll be selling it shortly because there's no way i could do some of the driveways i do with it. I love the truck though which sucks.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I stayed with the 3500 when I traded my 2005. In 2005 traded a 2004 when they came out with the 3500 SRW.
The 2011 3500HD GVWR was significantly improved - 11,600 lbs. That is more than the 3500 dually was rated for in 2005.
I have added air bags to help with the ride and leveling after hitching up. I know allot of guys like the dually for towing fifth wheels but I have been happy with a SRW truck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was in the same boat as you 4 months ago. I search for about 4 months for a nice duramax. During my searching I found that I could get a 3500 cheaper than a 2500 for the same trim. I went with the dually cause I figured you could never have enough truck. If we decided to upgrade our camper in the future the options are endless because we already have the truck. I always park way out in the parking lot no matter what I drive. So for me parking lots are the same. I hate door dings. Only issue is I am worried when the wife drives it that she is going to cut a corner and rip of the dually fenders. I would not use a long bed crew cab to plow with. It would suck to maneuver in small parking lots or even driveway.

08maxdully,

You hit it on the head for me as well. I was looking for a 2500 Duramax and the more I looked the more I saw that I could get the 3500 DRW for as cheap or cheaper than the 2500 SRW. To me, i figured the value of the truck would hold well and I would always have a truck big enough to do the job. Yea it's a bit of a pain in tight spaces but it's not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not meaning to sound stupid by any means, I'm new on here, but the whole two extra tires is expensive is kinda mute when you think about how much the truck itself costs. I love my dually, it's my first one and I've driven SRW my whole life! The extra width isn't anything to get used to, except in some drivethrus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts